It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus warnings while surfing on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I know, this has been the case in the past and I am not that easily upset or even think, ATS is spying on me or something.

But after I lived to see this three times in the last day, I think it is worth mentioning. Probably there is a simple explanation, but it also could be that it is caused by some ads here.

Anti Virus tells me, that I was attacked by Infected.WebPage.Gen. Maybe others get this message too.

Last time I took a look at the ads and there was only a World of Warcraft ad from Germany. I will check the ads in the future, if this message occurs again.

If you know the cause already, just let me know.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

I've gotten that a few times. A little window pops up telling me that I was redirected because of a virus infection threat.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Same here-then it tries do get me to download some "Anti-Virus" program I've never heard of....

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have also had the same issue
I redirects me to a bogus virus page.
I had to disconnect the computer to get out of it
It locked me out.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I just got my second AVG warning for the week when I logged on to ATS. It says that it is a "rogue scanner (type1652)". What the crap is that?

It also said this was a "known exploit, phishing or social engineering website". I have been a member here for more than a year and this just started for me. What's the deal?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I just got the virus warning pop up too and it redirected me to another web page.
This has happened to me at least 3 times now...
IS ATS looking into this?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I would say it's dirty ads or a dirty member linked pic over ATS attacking you. What page did it happen on?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Home page. It popped up as soon as I navigated to ATS. I stay logged in, but it had been a coupla hours since I had checked my threads. It has only started happening in the last few weeks.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

It sounds like one of the ads then. I know it seems like the opposite of what should be done, but if you install an adblocker then browse the site it will rule out the ads 100%.

link   
There are High Risk attacks... that are not attacks at all,
its all about a site engaging your PC programs to 'answer their call'

this afternoon i had a High-Risk Intrusion Alert... identified as :
Java Deployment Toolkit Input Invalidation

the supposed 'attack' was not a real 'attack' it was the site trying
to perform its functions...and the 'alert' came on...a "false alarm" as-it-were

it's good to be careful and aware, but yelling Wolf does not serve your cause

jennybee35
It also said this was a "known exploit, phishing or social engineering website".
I have been a member here for more than a year and this just started for me.

thats a better characterization of the site than i would have made

one had better keep their AV & malware security up-to-date...
all those re-directs and false promos for anti-virus are crud thats really old & primitive...

but if you allow it to stay in your P]C it will eventually multiply... run a malware bytes
cleaner is my suggestion--- www.malwarebytes.org/
is oneplace to look at & decide if you want it. ---

this is no recomendation or sales pitch...its only a FYI suggestion
edit on 12-12-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

link   
use the adblocker plus add on for firefox, then get the subscription and no more trouble

get rid of AVG it uses too much ram. try Panda cloud, its free and it scans from online.. no updating

download malwarebytes and keep it updated and scan once a week and you'll be happy you did
edit on 12-12-2010 by aliengenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Sites shouldn't be doing anything to my pc with out asking

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This exact same thing happened to me when I clicked on a members link. It was trying to scan my computer and was telling me I had something like 14 virusus - I had to shut down to stop it. I had this exact same thing happen on my laptop a year ago and it really messed it up. I was out money to get my computer cleaned out - it went thru my protection and firewall at that time. I have upgraded my protection now and my computer is fine - stressed me out tho.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

It was telling you, you have viruses? so it's a rouge av ad.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

Yes it was telling me I had virsus - it scanned my computer and put them there.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

More likely just lying, most of the rouge avs are harmeless and just try to get cash from the user a few are malicous. It was time ago now but I found a site that had a list of the current rouge avs and how they worked, if they worked etc, guess it's still in the wild.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Sounds like an 'anti-virus virus' trying to get you to buy fake software. These have been around for quite a while and it sounds like another version may be making the rounds. Check out below link....

How To Remove / Uninstall Antivirus Soft Virus (Removal Guide)

Antivirus Soft is yet another one of those pesky rogues (fake antivirus, virus, ransomware, call it what you want) that have been infecting computers around the world. In this article we will teach you how to remove the Antivirus Soft virus from your computer, how the rogue got on your computer and how it tries to trick you.

Just like any other rogue anti-spyware, Antivirus Soft will claim to be a legitimate Antivirus. It will perform a fake scan of your computer. The problem is that when you try to remove these fake infections, Antivirus Soft will ask you to buy the full version before you are allowed to do that. It is obvious that Antivirus Soft is a scam, and you should not purchase it. If you already did, you should contact your credit card company as soon as possible to dispute the charges.

edit on 12/12/2010 by Champagne because: Add more content

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

It's a known problem with ad networks. IMHO, as long as they get paid, I doubt they care to check the scripts. In recent news Two Major Ad Networks Found Serving Malware

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Yeah they really don't care and a lot are just dodge, best to report and block them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join