It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch police make 2nd arrest in cyberwar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Dutch police make 2nd arrest in cyberwar

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Dutch police arrested a 19-year-old man on Saturday on suspicion of joint responsibility for a cyber attack on the website of the public prosecution office.

The so-called "denial of service" attack on the prosecution website on Friday came a day after Dutch police arrested a 16-year-old youth in connection with cyber attacks by WikiLeaks supporters.

The 19-year-old, arrested in Hoogezand-Sappemeer in the north of the country, is suspected of using hacking software to launch attacks that slowed the prosecutor's website down for hours and briefly made it unavailable.

The
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The dutch police have prolonged the first arrest with 19 days and said that is was likely that more arrests would follow. After the first arrest (i've linked to the related thread) an attack was made on the websites of the dutch police and prosecutors-office. The current arrest is made because of this attack but the man (nickname: Awinee) is also being is suspected of participation and/or organisation of the attack on moneybookers.com.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
they will arrest 18000 people ?

second line

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Why do you and they keep using the word "attack"?
What these guys are doing does not hack into anyone's computer. They do no destroy or harm anything or anyone.

These actions are more akin to a protest; except instead of standing in front of a doorway with a picket sign they are flooding selected websites with queries. It accomplishes the same thing, temporarily inconveniencing the operation and its would-be customers in order to bring attention to a concern.

The MSM is doing a pretty good job of smearing the protest with words like attack that instill a sinister picture in the mind of the public. You are doing the same thing.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

a DDOS is an attack: en.wikipedia.org.... Don't say it isn't because it is. I'm getting pretty tired of people saying that these are friendly "protests". First they started harming ordinary people by attacking paymentproviders. Lets say you are waiting for your funds to come in because you're in need of food or you need to take a bus/flight home. Or you can't do business because people can't pay you online. They're f#cking around with people's livelyhood. Now they started attacking police and justice, the authorities. Let's again say for instance, you child goes missing and the police send an amberalert through mobilephones and people want to go to the police's website to see who what where went missing but you can't because some fool brought down the website. This is so far beyond protesting, people bringing down public life in such a way, they need to be arrested and held accountable for what they've done.

In Holland it's forbidden by law to participate in such attack and you can be jailed for 6 years. So they don't need to start whining when you get burned. If you don't feel like getting burned, stay out of the kitchen. More people should read this: www.2600.com.... Then they would understand that these actions do more damage than good for our freedom online. Dumb young scriptkiddies, who can't see further than their own nose. They need to stop and think not only about their own consequences, but those of other people too.
edit on 12-12-2010 by HiTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm in agreement with Wayno, these are not attacks. To suggest that somebody is being harmed by not having a means to make a payment is downright ridiculous, especially as the services being paid for are non essential. But anyone who protests or exercises their right to speak freely nowadays will ultimately have the 'terrorist' stick pointed at them. The more forms of protest we can find the better, most of the time a simple letter will not suffice.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HiTEK

All of this is temporary. I don't disagree about blocking essential services such police, ambulence or fire protection, but that is about it. Even money transfer would be nothing more than an irritating inconvenience in the vast majority of cases. No one's life is being ruined.

This cyber war accomplished the awakening of many people to issues of secret govenmental/corporate collusion in lies, fraud and general mismanagement of world affairs. I am glad of it.

Apparently Anon are changing stratedy now more in lines of directly supporting Wikileaks and that is fine too.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iam'___'
I'm in agreement with Wayno, these are not attacks. To suggest that somebody is being harmed by not having a means to make a payment is downright ridiculous, especially as the services being paid for are non essential. But anyone who protests or exercises their right to speak freely nowadays will ultimately have the 'terrorist' stick pointed at them. The more forms of protest we can find the better, most of the time a simple letter will not suffice.

Who are you to judge, or how can you even know that a moneytransfer is essential or non-essential? I could care less if paypal / mastercard get hurt financially in this process. I'm talking about the average Joe. I would love to see your face when your card doesn't work when doing your last minute weekend groceries and tell your wife she'll be using newspapers instead of tampons for a few days.

Calling this protesting and raising awareness, let me tell you, because of this BS the average Joe has long forgotten about Wikileaks. The only thing he will remember is that ANON is blocking access to their basic necesseties, receiving or sending money, or reaching the police or justice department. ANON has shot way past their goal and are becoming public enemy. ANON should have know that it's better to have "the people" on their side. The governments are loving this and can't wait to put stricter regulations on the internet. The always wanted this and have the means, they just needed a motive. Way to go freedomfighters. Don't make me laugh.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HiTEK

Who am I to judge?? I am me, that's who I am, and guess what? I am in charge of my own opinions and NO-ONE will be taking that away from me no matter what 'THEY' want to brand me for having a particular opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Iam'___'

So you are not ok with someone forcing an opinion upon you but you think it's ok to use other people than yourself to force your opinions upon others. Kind of contradicts it's self doesn't it? Go take a long look in a mirror. You can have all sort of problems with our grocerystore and protest and picket whenever and how long you wish. But if you are standing between me and my six pack of beer, i'll take you out in a second without thinking or blinking. I understand you, try and understand me.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Self centredness is dangerous to the evolution of mankind.

For far too long, we had cared only about ourselves. It had ALWAYS been about 'me, me, me' and to hell of with others. So what if they are fighting on my behalf, I did not initiate it or wanted it. I want only what i want - my 6 pack and the rest can fight all they want.

But the reality is often that one day, without support and a bit of sacrifice, there will be no one left to stand up for me. By then, 6 pack would have been taken away by TPTB, and alone, I can do nothing.....

Back to topic:-Many Innocent Poles were hanged for every German soldier killed by the Polish resistance. Not just Poles, but in every German occupied country, to put fear into the dominated. The resistance didn't stop, because sooner or later, non germans would be callously murdered or doomed to become slaves anyway, and fought with even stronger vigour.

Today, the Dutch authorities are only repeating Nazi Gestapo tactics. Hitler may had been dead for decades, but his nightmare is about to descend and be repeated to the world.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
More casualties.

People who are opposed to people making a stand against these corrupt corporations deserve all thats coming to them. Yes, I agree that people who lost out because of action were unfortunate and this is unfair. But guess what? Life has never been fair.

But take a moment to look at the bigger picture. We currently live in a system where we rely on a handful of corporations for pretty much everything. Most smaller companies have been bought out. Independant businesses are fast becoming extinct. This has led to massive unbalance and injustice as corporations have the power and money to do literally whatever they want.

Maybe by cutting services that too many people rely on will make them realise that this is wrong, and find an alternative. We need to stop feeding the beast and return fair trade back to the people. Anonymous and others are trying to make like less unfair for us all. This is not a battle where lives are lost. So a gear is thrown into the capitalist works. So what?

While I do not condone anything immoral, what they are doing needs to be done. The people at the top are all unaccountable. They all hide behind laws created to protect them and their evils, while many people in positions where they are unable to fight back suffer greatly.

Remember just because something is illegal does not make it wrong, it is only portrayed as wrong in order to keep us deceived.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
These aren't attacks. It's hyper-sensationalized drama played out by newscasters trying to make everyone on the Web look like a bad guy.

Consider this analogy; Senator Jim Demint's contact info (this is published openly by the government, so it's no secret):

DeMint, Jim - (R - SC)
340 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-6121

Let's get 18,000 people and call his office. If we do that, who do you think is going to get through to him on that number? No one. His phone service is "denied" because we'll have flooded it.

Same thing is going on with these "ddos" floods of these Web sites. With 18,000 people participating you hardly even need any special tools, just that many people going to a smaller Web site can bring it down.

I might agree that if one person, who acquired a botnet and was responsible for ddossing a site, should be prosecuted, but not when it's an obvious protest done by thousands who are simply using their sheer number to overwhelm a server. They could stop a denial of service by implementing packet filtering if they wanted to.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by HiTEK

People expressing opinions with each other is all good with me but when it comes to getting an opinion across to large organisations it becomes a different story. Your generalizations are just way off the mark, only a fool could think in such a blinkered way. And your assumption that you could 'take me out' has me spluttering on my beer, are you gonna call me names next??

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
These aren't attacks. It's hyper-sensationalized drama played out by newscasters trying to make everyone on the Web look like a bad guy.

Consider this analogy; Senator Jim Demint's contact info (this is published openly by the government, so it's no secret):

DeMint, Jim - (R - SC)
340 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-6121

Let's get 18,000 people and call his office. If we do that, who do you think is going to get through to him on that number? No one. His phone service is "denied" because we'll have flooded it.

Same thing is going on with these "ddos" floods of these Web sites. With 18,000 people participating you hardly even need any special tools, just that many people going to a smaller Web site can bring it down.

I might agree that if one person, who acquired a botnet and was responsible for ddossing a site, should be prosecuted, but not when it's an obvious protest done by thousands who are simply using their sheer number to overwhelm a server. They could stop a denial of service by implementing packet filtering if they wanted to.

If I could give you a star for your post every hour, you will be the next star on ATS.

But I am sure it is not stars that you seek, for these are only mere trinklets, meaning nothing much to you, for you wrote from the bottom of your honest heart, giving freely and expecting nothing for yourself, but more important, a message to others for someone else.

You have my deepest respect, for what you said was true.

So, the bastard Mastercard CORPORATION had been down, as so had the Prosecutor's website similary, so IT'S OUR FAULT? Go ahead then, charge everyone of us including me, and put us behind bars and feed us for free on behalf of the taxpayers.

My guilt - I had done transactions using Mastercard ( to my regret now) and propably had contributed to the website being overloaded with request and could not meet the demand. I had check up on the Prosecutor's office innocently as well, to find out more, and had contributed to the overload.

So had massive thousands. Why just charge one? Go on, charge everyone else! And see what happens to the economy tomorrow when such fears are dished out. The exotic toys and salaries the govts depend on will shrink immediately as consumers flee economic websites. Is this how the cookie is to crumble, because of ego from the masters and their capricious servants?

And why put blame on a boy who hacked into the prosecutor's website? Had the prosecutor been unable to carry out his duties in real time with backups - paper and labour? This is not the fault of the growing adult if he had been able to penetrate into the prosecutor's website, a supposed secured site.

Put the blame responsibily were it lays - the securtiy team paid by taxpayers!!!! Why had they failed despite millions of dollars SPENT? Or had the funds be corruptively misappropriated??? Otherwise why could a 19 year old penetrate through?

Fortunately, the 19 year old had no sinister intentions other than to send a message, a timely one too and may had helped taxpayers be aware as well as the authorities how easy they had been conned of their funds. Imagine if someone else more sinister and evil, and with deep pockets, the prosecutor's website would be down and out for life!!!

Wake up please, and know whom are your fellow humanity's friends and enemies!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You two settle down before I "take both of you out." Whatever that means.

Originally posted by Iam'___'
reply to post by HiTEK

And your assumption that you could 'take me out' has me spluttering on my beer, are you gonna call me names next??

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

LOL. I'm hoping it's going to be somewhere nice, it's been a while since I was taken out

new topics

top topics

join