It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering a 50 Year Old Dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hello aLL

I rarely enter topics in respect to dreams but I wanted to share something in hope someone may shed some light upon. I have always understood that dreams are nothing more than random thoughts that we encounter during rem sleep. I am 54 years old but I have always remembered a dream I once had when I was around 4 years old. Is this common? and why would I remember this particular dream at so young of an age? This is a very short dream but very vivid. I can also remember a dream from about 8 years old where I was actually sleep walking. I just always found this odd and really never had a place to dicuss it with anyone.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Share Your story. What was your dream about?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

in regards to my dream at 4 years, I was walking down a stairway being chased by a baby that resembled a particular common doll with a plush like body with a face of a sleeping closed eyed baby. When I made it to the landing I began to run but like so many dreams I was running but only walking and the baby or doll was gaining on me then I woke up. I know it sounds so short and simple but it was very livid and I can remember in exact detail.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by laughsalot

I remember a number of dreams. I suppose it is because there was something 'pivotal' about them though. Though often it has taken me very, very many years to realise that. But that could just be me. I am very cynical, more in relation to myself than anything else though.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by laughsalot

in regards to my dream at 4 years, I was walking down a stairway being chased by a baby that resembled a particular common doll with a plush like body with a face of a sleeping closed eyed baby. When I made it to the landing I began to run but like so many dreams I was running but only walking and the baby or doll was gaining on me then I woke up. I know it sounds so short and simple but it was very livid and I can remember in exact detail.

a potential analysis & explanation for your dream:

walking "down a stairway" is potentially symbolic of exiting the birth canal into the world out of the relative safety of your mother's womb. we assume that there was some anxiety / unease associated with being "chased by a baby...running but only walking...the baby or doll was gaining on me."

the intuitive leap to be made is to consider that you were, at one point in the in utero developmental process, linked somehow with another either fraternal or identical sibling. this fetus was not viable, but the emotional link was established even at that very early developmental stage. the sibling did not survive, but your "subconscious" toddler brain worked to help the "conscious you" come to terms with these confusing internal emotional states.

it is compelling that you still remember it in great detail as an adult. i wonder if, when you recall this "old memory," you feel sad, or tired, or lonely, or nostalgic, or angry. is the (presumptive) anxiety masking some other emotion, or perhaps distinct preverbal emotional concepts of a very small child.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

Originally posted by laughsalot

a potential analysis & explanation for your dream:

walking "down a stairway" is potentially symbolic of exiting the birth canal into the world out of the relative safety of your mother's womb. we assume that there was some anxiety / unease associated with being "chased by a baby...running but only walking...the baby or doll was gaining on me."

the intuitive leap to be made is to consider that you were, at one point in the in utero developmental process, linked somehow with another either fraternal or identical sibling. this fetus was not viable, but the emotional link was established even at that very early developmental stage. the sibling did not survive, but your "subconscious" toddler brain worked to help the "conscious you" come to terms with these confusing internal emotional states.

it is compelling that you still remember it in great detail as an adult. i wonder if, when you recall this "old memory," you feel sad, or tired, or lonely, or nostalgic, or angry. is the (presumptive) anxiety masking some other emotion, or perhaps distinct preverbal emotional concepts of a very small child.

I must admit your analysis is quite interesting and I found it remarkable in comparison to an idea I briefly comtemplated. My Mother had a extremely difficult pregnancy in respect to me, she told at some point during her pregnancy that she hemorrhaged so severe that her doctor reccommended strongly to end it but according to my mother she "prayed" about it and continued my life always telling me I was a miracle baby. My mother was 39 years old when I was born and had several miscarrigaes previous but I failed to put any of this together until about a year before my mother passed away. I asked her if something as you have suggested may have occured and knowing my mom would most likely dismiss it as "no" but instead she really didnt answer and so I never mentioned it again strugging it off so hearing you even suggesting it was a bit surprising and I thank you for sharing it with me.

I have never really thought of it as a sad or depressed feeling but just always felt it odd that I would remember this dream so clearly and for so long after. I doubt whether I could ever know something like this may have happened but to hear someone to even suggest it is most interesting, again thank you for sharing with me.

new topics

top topics

join