It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Combat troops sent to France in defense of Euro

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
WTH?

www.guardian.co.uk...

German troops sent to France in symbolic defence of the euro

Historic force stationed outside Strasbourg was agreed by Sarkozy and Merkel as a show of unity between the countries

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris
guardian.co.uk, Friday 10 December 2010 19.32 GMT

German combat troops were stationed today in France for the first time since the Nazi occupation during the second world war.

The force stationed outside Strasbourg was agreed by Nicolas Sarkozy and Angela Merkel as a show of unity between the countries. The French defence minister, Alain Juppé, hailed the "highly symbolic" move as an end to "centuries of conflict".

The French-German Brigade was created in 1989. Until this year, German combat troops had not been stationed in France, only French ones in Germany – a legacy of the allies' post-war occupation there. German forces occupied France during the 1939-45 war for more than four years, the third major war between the two countries in 75 years.

"German soldiers are today welcome in France," the German chancellor said at a meeting with Sarkozy, the French president, in Freiburg. "For me, that has great symbolism, after all the misdeeds Germany was guilty of during the Nazi era."
...More at link

WTH?

Where are they being sent to next?
edit on 10-12-2010 by dbriefed because: Fixed typos

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the fuss is here....

Sounds like a diplomatic gesture to me....and considering the history between these two countries, I think it is a GREAT gesture.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The nazis are back occupying france! lol
on a serious note, this is what happens, when you have globalization, like whats happening in america. Another countrys military patrols the streets, tells the countrys own residents to get inside, they cannot come out on thier own land, what they can do and go anymore. its all politics. Suprised other countrys havnt shown up in france or Britain so far with the rioting..russians, czeks, polish, romainians, ugo-albanina military personnel, enforcing strict cerfews and beating the citizens with clubs and tear gas...
soon it will be americas turn, as long as globalization stays in motion.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
on a serious note, this is what happens, when you have globalization, like whats happening in america. Another countrys military patrols the streets, tells the countrys own residents to get inside, they cannot come out on thier own land, what they can do and go anymore. its all politics. Suprised other countrys havnt shown up in france or Britain so far with the rioting..russians, czeks, polish, romainians, ugo-albanina military personnel, enforcing strict cerfews and beating the citizens with clubs and tear gas...

Globalization does not=martial law. I get your point, but you are making a very extreme jump here.

You are talking about soldiers stationed, not patrolling the streets. You are talking about something that even 20 years ago, based on the history of the two countries, looked like it would never happen.

Since when is diplomacy the enemy?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Merkel never ceases to amaze me. I've heard Sarkozy was hated by the French people now I know why. So this is the fall of the Euro?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
"German troops sent into france"

Uh oh there at it again....

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

We are still armed to the teeth.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

on a serious note, this is what happens, when you have globalization, like whats happening in america.

Globalization does not=martial law. I get your point, but you are making a very extreme jump here.

You are talking about soldiers stationed, not patrolling the streets. You are talking about something that even 20 years ago, based on the history of the two countries, looked like it would never happen.

This is not diplomacy. And soldiers stationed......you dont exspect them to just barge in do you? got to move in slow.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The story says they are combat troops.

Not the marching band, or having an embassy ball, or delivering relief supplies to starving Frenchmen.

Combat troops.

I guess France had one too many national strikes.

"Now we've got angry Germans, and no good has ever come of that!" - Better Off Ted

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Lol, since it became back room deals to dupe the populace and replace 'democracy' with 'tyrannical oligarchy'.

second

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Show me one fact that says it is not diplomacy. Your entire premise is conjecture and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If you want to put the boot down you do it with troops from away

PS
The Euro can't survive the way it is with one common currency...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
well maybe I jumped a little.but the point im trying to make is, theirs a reason why thiers supposed to be boaders* so just in case, another armys mistreatment dosnt affect that countrys people, thus delcaring war. withoout baorders, merging would mean its fair game then, well could mean*

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Show me one fact that says it is not diplomacy. Your entire premise is conjecture and nothing more.

Tell me about it. I mean, here in the USA, when we practice diplomacy, we also send combat troops. We're practicing diplomacy in many countries right now. Even the local police practice diplomacy by sending swat troops to wake up sleeping folk early in the morning. It's all about sending a message of hope and warmth and comfort. What better way to get a message of hope, warmth and comfort than by waking up to German combat troops outside your door.

edit on 10-12-2010 by dbriefed because: --

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Combat troops are not diplomats they are inforcers. Even when they do hearts and mind work a basic premise has been established, that diplomacy has failed, and words are no longer enough. Sending in combat troops is a transmission of the message "we will use force". But hay maybe its just a joint training thing and nothing to worry about.

"Merkel said Germany was determined to defend the 16-nation currency. Its significance went "far beyond" monetary union, she said. "If the euro fails, Europe fails," she added. "This is a deeply serious matter for me. And that's why Germany will do everything to defend the euro jointly with the other countries."

Clearly though this "stationing" of German troops in France under the flag of doing EVERYTHING to DEFEND the euro is a clear if not toned down expresion of the willingness to use force.

edit on 10-12-2010 by Logarock because: sp

new topics

top topics

join