It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch police arrest 16-year-old in connection with attacks on MasterCard and Visa websites, prosecut

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by HunkaHunka

30 million, I would love to see your source for that

Thanks for linking the vid by the way, anyone care to transcribe to English?
Is that the dude that got busted,
I wonder why

edit on 9-12-2010 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

Easy see below:

en.wikipedia.org...

2009 (May) BredoLab 30,000,00030,000,000[12] 3.6 billion/day Oficla
2008 (around) Mariposa 12,000,000[13] 0 ? None
0? Conficker 10,000,000+[14] 10 billion/day DownUp, DownAndUp, DownAdUp, Kido
0? Zeus 3,600,000 (US Only) [15] -1n/a Zbot, PRG, Wsnpoem, Gorhax, Kneber

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I replied to your u2u you could of read it........I think it was a simple misunderstanding, I thought you were saying anon are using a 30mill computer botnet when you said

You are right... even if this came from his IP, who is to say it is him... there are botnets with 30 million unsuspecting people being involved....

That 30mill botnet is basically dead by the way.

edit on 9-12-2010 by aivlas because: gained new info

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well.. the kid shouldn't be in any trouble.
But they weren't looking for Assange for 4 years. Only about a week or two.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well.. the kid shouldn't be in any trouble.
But they weren't looking for Assange for 4 years. Only about a week or two.

That's what I am curious about.......
hmmm

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
www.theregister.co.uk...

The arrest came shortly after anonops.net, a Netherlands-hosted website used to coordinate attacks against companies perceived as harming WikiLeaks, was taken offline. A Panda Security researcher said the website was itself the victim of DDoS attacks, but the investigation by the Dutch High Tech Crime Team has also involved “digital data carriers,” according to the release. It didn't specify the crimes the boy was charged with or say exactly what his involvement in the attacks was.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I've been running with operation payback myself

just a small botnet ive got access to, 32 boxes, but I've been following the coodination on twitter and in irc pounding the targets.

it's been a wild and fun ride.

www.anonops.info... < For irc server status where we all meet up

and the tools for everyone

pastehtml.com... only gives warning due to offering a download if you wish to join

Server: irc.anonops.net
#OperationPayback - main chat
#setup - LOIC help
#nubbintank - MAC LOIC help
#RadioPayback - official radio
#recruit - help us get more people!
#WikiLeaks - general wikileaks discussion
#propaganda - yes
#target - target discussion

Come join us for the fun, next couple days should get very interesting.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Don't forget to tell people to use proxies, shell accounts, TOR or Darknet to connect to the IRC server.

Nobody needs to join that server with their true IP and I am assuming someone will join it after reading your post without taking those precautionary measurements.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Just so I'm clear on this, Operation Payback is to protect freedom of speech on the internet?

Attempting to crash corporate sites, this wont lead to companies calling for tougher regulations, possibly reducing freedom of speech, will it?

Gotta love the idealistic who don't think through their hair brained schemes.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Not if they keep on doing it. Correction...not if real hackers join in when they bust all the amateurs. Hope that wouldn't be just a fantasy, cuz the new generations may lack the guts to keep on going.
They were going to screw the internet anyway, whether or not this situation is based on staged events. We don't really have any way of challenging the government. Better this than fighting in the streets. Take down the rich corporations instead of the children. Here, this MAY be a small start.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Thanks for linking the vid by the way, anyone care to transcribe to English?
Is that the dude that got busted,
I wonder why

I think the most important part is, when he had shown how to prepare such an attack on MasterCard and was asked, if he could do it right now.
He said, that this was illegal, but the moderator said, it would be okay, because it was just a demonstration for the show, to see how it works.
So he pressed the button live on tv.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
He is a victim of war. It's just like fighting a war with guns. Except rather than be shot to death you're taken as a P.O.W. It's a war between the people of the planet and TPTB. When people start getting pushed around they have a tendancy to push back after so long. This seems to me as it will only be one of many issues in the up coming days over "cyber attacks" Notice that the person they nabbed is only a mere child. If there are 16 year old kids fighting this information war that we know of, imagine what other kinds of minds are out there doing the same or worse. Everyone pick a side and grab a battle buddy, the war of a new age is upon us.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pscysm

As long as companies require the internet to do business, there will be access to the net. As long as the internet exists in any fashion, there will be a method to pass information from place to place, and methods to make tracking that flow hard for the government.
It is you who are not thinking this through, you obviously havent thought about this at all. As long as the wires are still in place and connected to a network , there will be people who can use those wires, to access information, to shut things down remotely , to cause havock. The government cannot censor the entire net, because there will always be people acting against that move, people more numerous , and more determined . The government of the US cannot fight the whole internet at its own game primarily because the user base has too much power. They switch off our access to the truth, and people in the user community will shut down international trade within hours. Im talking a loss of trillions within the space of 24 hours. It will be chaos and mayhem and that , the US government cannot afford.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeZet
If I'm correct, he showed it publicly on a show called "De Wereld Draait Door" yesterday.

edit on 9-12-2010 by WeZet because: (no reason given)

I just checked, if this is really the "16 year old guy". He isn't. His name is Arnoud Vermeer, 24, founder of "Respect my privacy".
It was reported, that he lost his job after the broadcasting, which was not true. Of course, some people are wondering, why a 16 year old was arrested for the same thing, Vermeer did in public.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The sad part is that this kid probably didn't really have an idea what he got himself into.

I get the feeling he just had the botnet software installed and wanted to help in bringing down the big bad companies. If you don't have a clue what ur doing this stuff is easy to track by ISP's and i won't be surprised if more people will be "brought to justice" soon.

At least make sure you have an idea about how to mask your IP before even thinking of getting involved in botnets, especially nowadays.
edit on 10/12/10 by Romekje because: Having read trough the thread i guess he wasnt all that un-knowing. Yet i still believe there will be alot of people out there who this will happen to.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is more than just some simple lark conducted by a 16 year old. He has better things in life to do than to join in the thousands of others DOS mastercard. Look around at his peers, probably dating or playing online games. So why did he do it?

He did it because he has a conscience. He is part of us - humans. While he is still formulating his thinking processes to mature, what he had shown is a sign in the right direction.

Many called DOS a crime. Technically, it is nothing more than a massive overload of data or request onto a server, that it could not handle such tasks. This technicality happens all the time with popular sites, even microsoft itself had been known to experience server crash. Thus it is the responsibility of biz agencies to ensure that their server is capable of serving as promise, in light or heavy moments.

Mastercard server had failed. So who is to be blamed? A 16 year old kid? And the police whom have better things to do, to investigate real cases, would devote its time for such small technical fault on behalf of Corporations, instead of the Citizens in which they are beholden to protect and serve?

Persecute one, and a growing young adult at that, to set an 'example? The last time such 'examples' were set had been during Nazi era in occupied lands. Hang ten citizens for every german soldier killed by the resistance. So the authorities are returning to Nazism? What monster had the Dutch citizens elected to serve our fellow dutch brothers and sisters????

Next, it had been Mastercard's fault that its server crashed. It could happen anytime if suddenly there was a demand for its services. Thus,.if that bastard company can simply press charges, sue or compel the authorities to act for them, what would happen to you and me if one day its servers crashed again, with our digital signature there as evidence using its services? Are you and I to be sued as well? Is this the way biz are CON - ducted by Mastercard????

These are the several questions one must ask before giving judgement.

The boy's parents should be proud of him and his stand. 'Some day our sons and daughters will rise up, while we all stood still', goes a song by Mike and the Mechanics. Today, the children had made a stand. It will up to us to protect that boy and make sure no harm will come to him or anyone else who expresses his feedom and speech and conduct under the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

His parents, relatives and friends must raise a ruckus with the authorities that had sworn to protect the masses, and not be bootlickers to facists corporations!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
...and we old guys sit here at our pcs and cry wolf everytime one of the young warriors is arrested...

Naah! This is not a "fascist world", but it needs some corrections. The young ones have the heart and we old ones should show, that we have the wisdom to help here.

But then we should show, that we really have something to add and not cry wolf evrytime the police does, what they have to do. The boy broke a law and the police has to question him. That's a normal procedure. If they should send him to Guantanamo, then we know, the world is upside down.

But I don't expect really too much. One weekend helping at the home for the aged probably, or even worse: No internet for one week.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
He was released 4-5 days ago

Gotta love Holland!

Source: Bloomberg.com

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the "news", Skurk.

That's the way it should be and will be.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join