It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Dark Object Lurking On The Edge Of Solar System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
An interesting story from the dailymail :

Source

Extract :

Now new calculations suggest a large object that is up to four times as big as Jupiter could be responsible for sending them in our direction. The scientists have analysed the comets in the Oort cloud and deduced that 25 per-cent of them would need a nudge by a body of at least Jupiter size before they changed orbit. Astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire at the University of Louisiana came up with theory said that 'something smaller than a Jovian mass would not be strong enough to perform the task'.

They believe that our solar system has a hidden 'companion' that has so far remained undetected. The scientists have been studying the cloud using WISE, Nasa's infra-red space telescope that is capable of detecting dark objects.

Nibiru ? Planet X ? Something Else ?

Peace !

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
already a post about this but my two cents on this is why havent astronomers detected this object with all the nifty telescopes we have running today the last planet discovery was what 2000? and before that was the 1940's?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Unium

I attended "USL". This profeser has been holding on to this idea for many years now. He does have some good points on the subject. I've seen that he has math to prove his case, he hasn't had much luck pushing this before. He could very well be right. At first he was putting forth that the solar system had a counterpart sun as he was a strong believer that we lived in a bianary star system. Good read! Would be nice if one of our own discovered something so groundbreaking.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

since he has the math leading him to believe that there is some large object outside of our known solar system why hasnt he been able to determine a good location to start looking?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm getting so sick and tired of seeing these kind of threads.

Either, prove it, or shut up.

We have been chasing the imaginary planet x, nibiru, for the past decade, saying it will appear at any time. Yet every single time, it fails to appear. So why are we still falling for the boy who cried wolf?

Planet X / nibiru, is not real, its speculation.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xalaran

I think this guy is pretty much trying to prove this. He's been kicked under the rug for a while. With all of our nifty telecopes, we're finding out new things every day. Though, I would ask the same thing about Hubble, but it seems it's capable of seeing only things far off instead of in our own cosmic back yard. It hasnt been all that long that we've gotten really detailed images of the outter planets. Our oldest satelites are only now on their way to the ort cloud.

I dont think that we'll stop making discoveries. We hardly know anything about our own oceans depths. We know more about space, but we certainly dont know everything about everything.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Kinda reminds me of Starship Troopers, with the bugs shooting asteroids at us from across the galaxy.

`The only good bug is a dead bug!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xalaran

Dunno. You should ask him that
If I had to guess, from what I know about it, and speaking a little bit to him about it, just a little... He knows it's out there, but just doesnt know where. His theory is based upon the actions of objects in the ort cloud. We know things these things comes in the form of comets, I guess that's the reason for the whole thing. Something has got to be moving them, pushing them towards us. Personaly, I would wonder why they arnt getting pulled towards the planet or whatever it is, instead of our way. The only thing I could see is just maybe the object is creating some really far off orbits between itself and the sun. Seems that it would have to be pretty big either way.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Isnt this going off in the direction of proof? Maybe not Nibiru, but an astronomical find either way. How can something be offered up as proof if it's kicked away so quickly? He's a scientist. He's been working on this for years. I was a student a good bit after he started and it's been nearly 10 years since I was a student there. He's put quite a bit of time, and I think if he was really daft, UL would have kicked him out. He is respected, he has something to show for it and the calculations to back it up. Like alot of the world of astronomy, this is how it begins. It's unfortunate that there are critics like yourself that doesnt bother to give it the credit it deserves and actually look into it. Instead, it's taboo and its thrown out without a thought.
edit on 7-12-2010 by theRhenn because: sp

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

My thoughts exactly !

It's a miracle that such an idea has made its way to the MSM !

Peace !

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Unium

No,not really.....

It's a miracle that such an idea has made its way to the MSM...

The idea of a large gas giant, or other massive object out lingering in the very extreme distances (as in the vicinity of the Oort Cloud...and the other feature out there, the "Kuiper Belt"....closer in, around, and outside the orbits of Neptune and Pluto. About 30-50 AU) is not new.

Problem has been two-fold: The theory cannot be confirmed, until there is observational evidence. Either a "sighting", which is extremely unlikely, due to the vast distances. (Difficult also, because planets have no inherent "light" of their own, we only see them because they reflect)....in other words, it's not a "star", undergoing nuclear fusion, and thus shining. Because, well....THEN would be much easier to see, yes?

Second aspect of the distance is the physics of gravity, and its effects....the Inverse Square Law of gravitational attraction. Double the distance, and the amount of gravity influence goes down by a factor of FOUR. Double that again, and it drops by a factor of EIGHT. Etc.....

Take our Earth, for example....and ocean tides. By comparison, the Sun is EXTREMELY more massive than our Moon, yes? But, which one is closest? Yup! So, the Moon affects our tides, whereas the Sun? Well.....any effect it could possibly exert? Minuscule! Yes, it's far, far more massive, but its distance diminishes its influence.

NOW...any celestial body lurking out in the Oort Cloud area....well, that is about 30,000 to 50,000 AU out there!! That is nearly one Light Year! AN [AU]...is an "Astronomical Unit". ONE "AU" is the distance from Earth to the Sun, on average. About 93,000,000 miles, or about 150,000,000 kilometers.

Some sources postulate that remnants of the Oort Cloud extend as far as THREE Light Years! Heck, the closest star, Alpha Centauri, is about 4.3 Light Years! So, really, our Sun, and Centauri, are quite close, astronomically speaking....and we share a "backyard" full of garbage! (In a sense....) Of course, the Oort Cloud is spherical....."Kuiper" a bit more aligned with the orbital plane of our planets, more or less. We think.

SO, let's make at least ONE thing clear, before it gets out of hand: This object? NOT the so-called "nibiru". In fact there IS NO SUCH THING as "nibiru"! (Except in fiction and legend).

There seems to be a serious lack, in modern general population, of astronomy understanding, and teaching, it seems. The sizes are vast, and difficult to comprehend, which is one part of the problem......

Some learning websites:

nineplanets.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

There is a thread on ATS, unfortunately the title uses the term "Planet X" (which too many people associate with the fictional "nibiru". Most scientists and astronomers who may use the "X" think of that as the Roman Numeral for TEN (10). AS IN, it would be the tenth "planet"....Pluto being formerly the ninth "planet", now a "dwarf planet, or planetoid". ..still, very distant objects are being discovered.....Pluto is now (as of about 2006) considered "tenth"....so,t he "X" can mean "unknown"....or "unnamed", if you prefer.....

Other people ("nibiru" believers, mostly) see the "X" and think of the TV show "X-Files", apparently....sad.....

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I have done my research. I believed in Nibiru at one point. But time and time again, it gets debunked. They have been talking about it since the 80's. I used to own a kids book, called planet X. After the 80's they shut up about it entirely. Until the 2012 nonsense started to be talked about and all of a sudden, planet x was cool again. Well, here we are, still no proof and only pure speculation. So as I said earlier in my first post.

Prove it, or shut up.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

Prove it, or shut up.

Is this the voice of science today? Prove it or shutup? Isnt that sort of an oxymoron? How can you prove anything if you "shut up"? Thats like asking SETI to prove life before it can search for it. Kinda dumb, dont you think? I wouldnt consider that the true spirit of science.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Ok, keep saying the same things over and over again and expecting to get a different result. My bad.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Good post Weed. It's proven of several planetoids larger than Pluto considered to have vast elliptical non-planer orbits around our sun. If we can detect, and name such planetoids (I'm not looking them up), we could detect a massive dark stat out there, yet we haven't. Hmm. In fact a couple of those 10th, 11th, and such planetoids even have smaller moons confirmed, yet no dark star.

Tell me which would be brighter, or have more gravitational influence–which is how most are discovered, not by SEEING them.

Ask me, no dark star between ours and the next, nope, not a trace of one.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xalaran
already a post about this but my two cents on this is why havent astronomers detected this object with all the nifty telescopes we have running today the last planet discovery was what 2000? and before that was the 1940's?

Maybe they have detected this massive Dark Object in our Solar System but have been keeping it a secret because of the consequences if they release the real purpose of this Dark Object. ^Y^

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

It's always a secret. And I find it funny people use NASA evidence to prove NASA is lying to us, LOL!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Posted on other thread about the same topic...

Qoute by me:
This is still only a theory though...

It's quite funny when you think about it.

Scientist- "We think there is a planet on the edge of our solar system hurling comets at earth!"

Journalist- "Holy crap!, How do you know this?"

Scientist- "We don't, we can't even see it''

Journalist- "*Facepalm* Sod it, sounds good, We'll print it anyway!"

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

Ok, keep saying the same things over and over again and expecting to get a different result. My bad.

why are you so uptight about it?
sarcasm and apparent frustration add nothing.
this is an internet message board to discuss such things.
ATS is a forum where can bring things to the table.
period.
whether you agree or not.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

I agree with Slow is fast,
New readers stop by every day, and with the size of this site, fast reading is still slow...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join