It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer games 'use psychological ploys to keep players hooked'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Okay. There are exceptions, such as DSC and EVE (Which are very rare examples.). But when gamers are complaining that Apache: Air Assault (2010) sucks on realistic because it's very-very-very-very hard to control... (AAA is actually a half arcade / half simulator game). It's hard because the gamers got used to the dumb arcade games. I also heard from some gamers that AAA sucks, because helicopters are not working on this way (That's why AAA was partially designed by Boeing's simulator lead designer. Surely he is mistaken and not the gamers.). The essence is, gamers are lazy and they believe they immediately know everything from games, yet it's another illusion that they live in.
edit on 6-12-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sentinel412

Originally posted by truthmagnet
You stereotyped videogames as being designed for those with low IQ's - however many Mensans actively play videogames on a regular basis - in fact there is even a Mensan conference on the social impact of videogames being held in Feb. of 2011 in Austin, TX.

Actually he stereotyped videogames because it's easy to sterotype them. Games of nowadays are designed for people of low IQ. That's a fact.

Compare a nowaday game with a Jane's USAF simulator. Or compare the level design of System Shock... or an easier example, Doom, Quake with COD, MOH 2010. The first ones are design where you must use your mind and meditate how to get from point A to point B, while you're touching points C, D, E, F, G, H... the others is a tunnel FPS (COD, MOH), while every detail objective is highlighted like a christmas tree, so even the foolest won't miss the objective... in the straight tunnel level design.

Same goes for RTS games. Compare the difficulty level of C&C with C&C4. The first was hard sometimes even for HC gamers, C&C4 is for the dumbs where you can't fail. StarCraft 1 had a damned good design, but StarCraft 2 is a joke comparing to it.

Or TPS... Prince of Persia: Sands of Time vs. Prince of Persia 2010. The first one was hard, the second is a joke even on hard difficulty.

Simulators... USAF, Descent Freespace, XWing vs... oh, wait. There are no true simulators nowadays, because it's too hard for the gamers as they should memorize more then 10 buttons. And the list can go on and on.

The games of the 21st century = dumb. That's a fact.

Well I would argue you are really describing the mainstreaming of videogames to the more general public.

Due to the broader reach of the gaming consoles many high profile, top dollar, videogames have been streamlined and much of their traditional past complexity has been removed. However this mainstreaming of interactive media has also allowed extremely thoughtful and strategic games such as Minecraft and Braid to be made by single developers and introduced to a large audience as well.

Also on PC alone I can list several games that have significant complexity and intellectual value released this year alone:

Arma 2
Total War: Napoleon
Europa Universalis III - Heir to the Throne
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Fallout New Vegas
DCS: A-10C Warthog
Mass Effect 2
Tropico 3
Silent Hunter V
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
Metro 2033
Alpha Protocol
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
R.U.S.E.
Steel Beasts Pro

And - of course - one can still revist the dynamic campaigns of previous games any time like Lock On - Flaming Cliffs 2, Silent Hunter IV, IL-2, and the Rome and Medieval Total War Series.

So - perhaps you have not kept up with the industry - and just want us off of your lawn - I sympathize - but it's just not really true.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by truthmagnet

I'm also prefer PC instead of consoles and I also know all these titles. But in the past these were the mainstream programs. Now, they're the hard core games. I believe you can feel the difference. I also would draw out the followings from your list... Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising (Sucks, uninstall after the first three levels.), Alpha Protocol (Buggy as hell), StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (It's a joke comparing to SC1), Fallout New Vegas (Another joke, which kills my high end machine) and R.U.S.E. (Sucks in single. Good in multi. Although I enjoyed it's single regardless the storyline was zero.).

So - perhaps you have not kept up with the industry - and just want us off of your lawn - I sympathize - but it's just not really true.

Wait. Did I forgot to mention that I worked in this industry for few years? So please don't handle me as an average gamer who knows nothing about this industry.
Thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

DCS: A-10C Warthog

You've just made my evening. That looks superb.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

You are absolutely correct.

Last week I got to level 26 and accumulated 791,760 points in PopCap's Book Worm.

I'm also pretty mean at Scrabble, playing against the computer or a couple friends.

Absolutely love bookworm, deffinantly got me hooked.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afb5c8fc154e.jpg[/atsimg]

And no my name is not Tess.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
So they are saying, if they give us psychologically what we want, it's bad?

hm....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
How old are you people? If you think that a multi billion dollar business such as the gaming industry won't do anything and everything to get you to play their game, then you seriously need to put the controller down and go expeience the real world.
Oh, did you know that the tobacco industry engineers cigarettes to be addictive?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Take TV, computer games, movies, news, internet, mobile phones, adverts, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, mainstream music etc and throw it all in the bin.

Think a little, what would you have??

Is it so mad that this would be called life after you threw it all away?

We are insane if you really think about it, we cannot even handle one day of this world without drugging ourselves, deluding ourselves, pumping our heads full of crap, talking crap, looking at crap, killing ourselves and listening to completely mind numbing garbage every single day of our lives!

We even go further and call it all life. Its nothing but death and self destruction!

Of course, I am looking at the bigger picture, I say this after spending a good decade of my life playing games and swallowing up all that trash that most believe is treasure. The treasure is there, we just dont see it.

Who gives a crap what I say.

Speaking these days is like pissing into the wind.
edit on 6-12-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
We are insane if you really think about it, we cannot even handle one day of this world without drugging ourselves, deluding ourselves, pumping our heads full of crap, talking crap, looking at crap, killing ourselves and listening to completely mind numbing garbage every single day of our lives!

Actually it can be done. I love those moments. I'm not watching TV a long time ago (It's full with lies). I also don't have a cell phone, or a credit card. All are worthless junk. Sometimes I simply prefer to take a book, prepare some lemonade, put up some classic music and relax. Everyone can create this anytime. You just need to want it and do it. Sometimes I do this for a week and I enjoy it so much.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Actually it can be done. I love those moments. I'm not watching TV a long time ago (It's full with lies). I also don't have a cell phone, or a credit card. All are worthless junk. Sometimes I simply prefer to take a book, prepare some lemonade, put up some classic music and relax. Everyone can create this anytime. You just need to want it and do it. Sometimes I do this for a week and I enjoy it so much.

Im gonna be really honest with you.

I dont do any of the things that most do anymore like TV etc.

The really hard thing is that you really develop an appreciation for life and the things around you. You actually feel true love for many things. You also see things that most other people dont notice, there is bad and there is good. Theres a hell of a lot more bad these days though

The sad part is and this is what I think everyone really hides from is the part where you lose the things you truly love in life.

You watch the most precious things in life die in front of your eye and you cannot do anything no matter how much your heart, your mind and your soul begs to have it stay with you.

With a tv, a pc, a game, a movie or so on, its intangible and you can add value to it, it cant die unless you do.

This is the absolute core of selfishness if you see my point.

That is what we all are, I am too, yes, but im just speaking about a realisation ive had these days.

Human beings dont want to suffer the bad, we all live our lives tip-toeing around the inevitable loss thats coming. The sad part of it all is that we really do not experience the love that can be shared. Loss is an absolute btard for what of a better word but theres no loss if theres no love.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I agree with you. People don't want to see the bad things. But instead of change it, they rather escape into the world of illusion where they feel themselves safe and secured (Regardless it's false safety.). Personally if I can choose between the world of illusion or the harsh reality where I can make a difference, I rather try to make that difference instead of live my life in an illusion.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

I agree with you. People don't want to see the bad things. But instead of change it, they rather escape into the world of illusion where they feel themselves safe and secured (Regardless it's false safety.). Personally if I can choose between the world of illusion or the harsh reality where I can make a difference, I rather try to make that difference instead of live my life in an illusion.

I guess the only way I can sum it up is with one of the last songs I heard before I took that choice...

It is truly bittersweet in many ways but once you have tasted it, you cannot turn back.

I would rather have lived, loved and helped others than dwelled, hated and scorned at others.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
id have to say im a game addict even though i havent played a game in over a year. reason why i say im an addict while i dont own a game system is because i miss gaming. its sad but true. i was addicted to the challenge and experiance more so than the reward. i was buying games like people buy packs of smokes and iv saved lots of money when i sold my system about $100+ a week. the new gran turismo is giving me that itch to play and i think i might cave lol

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Farmville is probably one of those games. People would rather feed cows who crap rainbow eggs or something rather than getting off their butt and grow their own food and raise their own animals.

It goes along with the spending addictions, because people will waste their little money on fake in game items, or some kind of coach bag for your virtual pet. It's just entertainment for those who don't want to see the real world.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Like for instance i reckon michio kaku is like a nazi scientist, and sees humans as nothing more than to be used. But he is idolised by so many, he must laugh his socks of.
edit on 12/6/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

michio kaku is a nwo hack, i can't stand people like him who have absolutely no principles or morals and are willing to spew propaganda and lies to gullible followers who can't think for themselves in exchange for a few dinner party invitations with elitist scum.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
wow people talking about how addictive gaming is now... wait till we have something akin to the matrix, and all the technologies leading up to that like the headset from Emotiv.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Wait. Did I forgot to mention that I worked in this industry for few years? So please don't handle me as an average gamer who knows nothing about this industry.
Thank you very much.

Actually it only confirms my belief that you are taking a "back in my day" view of the industry - precisely because you WERE part of the early industry.

I proved to you that intelligent, complex, videogames still are made and available for those so inclined and so that these games can not be characterized as only designed for those with low IQ's.

You seem to have a beef with the mainstreaming of videogames - and there are some unfortunate effects - but as you can see hardcore gaming is thriving and just as hardcore as ever.

Back in the day all there was was hardcore gamers - the demographics have just now changed.

Frankly I'm currently working my way through Thief Gold - amongst other more modern games - and it's complex level design does kick ass on a lot of recent games - but again - that's due to the mainstreaming of videogames in general.

And frankly I think games like the New Fallouts and Borderlands and Assassins Creed II are also enjoyably complex, involved, and challenging despite your extreme snobbery in this area.

(and sheesh - I thought I was a PC gaming elitist!)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Well, I've worked in the industry few years ago (Less then 5 years ago), so it wasn't that long ago. Plus I never denied there are no smart games or good games (Mass Effect series is my favorite). But they're very-very rare. The other games are low IQ games where you don't have to use your mind at all.

Borderlands was complex, but boring in the long run. Assassin's Creed 2 was good, but the first one was very boring comparing to that (But UbiSoft is one of the best developer companies whose are listening to the players. Similar to BioWare.). The new Fallouts... well, they had positive and also very negative sides. They were good, but in the long run, they were very boring again. My favorite developer is BioWare. They're always providing quality. But that's one company out of the hundreds. Compare the present LucasArts with the past LucasArts (Force Unleashed 1 and 2 sucked on every possible perspective). Same goes for other great companies. Even Blizzard lost from it's charm with StarCraft 2, because it's far away from StarCraft 1 or even Brood War. It's shiny, nice, but if you play with it for a longer time, you can see it's great weaknesses.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join