It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panorama Tonight BBC Video Games Addiction Watch Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Airing on Panorama tonight is a review on how addictive video games can be. Here is a link
uk.news.yahoo.com... and another
www.bbc.co.uk...
Starts a 8.30 pm GMT on BBC 1
I find this to be an interesting subject and have viewed several videos showing children when they have had their video games taken away. It is like they became demonic for want of a better word. I personally have quite an addictive personality and when play games find it quite hard to stop. That combined with the extreme violence in some games must be having a profound effect on children.
Am interested to see the views expressed in this documentary. If you cant watch at 8,39 then will be on BBC I player or if out side of UK I am sure will be on google or youtube soon .
Please flag so as many people can watch this as possible. I mean who play games or knows someone that does? All of you right??
Regards
edit on 6-12-2010 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
What's the betting that most of the games being played by 'Children' on this program will be ones with an 18 certificate........... in which case when Mommy or Daddy complain then someone needs to ask the question ... ''why did you get it / let them play the bloody thing ?"

I play, couple of times in a week for a couple of hours as it is a good way of relieving any tension / shooting things without the need for the REAL Police to be called and it's a break.... I grant you that there is an addiction to some of the story lines, I'm thinking MW2 here which really was exciting and sort of teaches you that in reality, combat as portrayed in the game must be hellish and scary for those who do it for real......

It's like everything in this world, things should be done in moderation..... Do not eat TOO much, Watch a little TV here and there, Go for a walk every day, speak to people every day (even strangers)

It Really IS NOT rocket science is it ???!!!

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yep ill be watching this panorama.

Back when i was young it was all about getting out, building go karts, hunting and exploring the wilderness. Now its all about sitting in front of the tv / pc for hours on end.

Kinds nowadays are exposed to violent games at far to early an age. My ex other halfs kid had all the grand theft autos at 11 years old until i took them all off him. Theres just no need for it and especially when at the supermarket when he got told to put a game back on the shelf that he put in the shopping basket he turned round and called his gran and "old nigga"..

Myself, well i keep it in moderation. I was ranked top 3 in the world at Battlefield 1942 via EA's stats website. I used to run numerous online teams for all the battlefield series, CS, CS Source + a handfull of other games and used to be a server moderator for Barrysworld (uk), Jolt (uk), Blueyonder (uk). I done all this from aged 16-26.. 10 years of gaming under my belt though i have owned every pc / console type since about 1979.

Now, i play for fun. Maybe an hour a night during the week and a few hours at the weekend, though if ive got some free time ive been known to game on for a good 5 hour session. My game of choice now is Team Fortress 2. Pretty much due to the nice natured bunch of players i know who frequent the server i play on and its comical cartoonist graphics.

These kids in japan and such that play world of warcraft for 72 hours solid seriously need some parents to step up to the plate and get there lifes in order.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I too play to relieve tension
No its not rocket science at all. Parents should not let the Tv, media, magazines, pop star and computer games be educating their kids. The thing is most parents probably have no idea of the gore in the games their little 8 year old plays and automatically thinks , game, hmmm must be okay then. There is an age restriction for a reason and young minds (as well as old) can become corrupted. More education for the parents is what is needed.
In moderation most things are okay but that is easier said than done.
Regards

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You peopel totally miss the point its for dehumaistaion. It makes me laugh when peopel talk about games, and they think it makes peopel violent, no, its to dehumanise you, and to destroy empathy. Plus do not say if you play these games, you still have sorry in your heart, no. These people know what they are doing, why do you think military uses simulators like the types like call of duty.

Its not rocket science, but how come people miss the point then, lol

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Interesting timing indeed, I posted this thread: Computer games 'use psychological ploys to keep players hooked'

Maybe you can compare and contrast what is presented in this show with what is quoted in the article.

Very intriguing tactics! However, it gets even more intriguing when you step outside the "Gaming Industry" box and look at how all the boxes are being manipulated from the outside unbeknown to the vast majority of the consumers.

Good Times!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

You are totally right it is to desensitise people and yes that is why military use said simulations. So the point has not been missed I a agreeing with you and saying should kids be exposed to this??

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The problem with discussions relating to the potential effects of video games on someone's psyche, is that most people who defend violent video games or instantly dismiss any suggestion that these games may have a negative impact on people who play them, are invariably people who play the games themselves, and don't have an objective view on the discussion.

It's an unfortunate human trait which leads people to often display a knee jerk defence of their 'vices', when they are the target of any kind of criticism or scrutiny, whether that be drugs, video games, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling etc.

One of the fallacious lines of argument that is used when people defend their 'vice', is something along the lines of:
''I've done < insert activity that is being scrutinised > for years, and I've never < insert negative behaviour claimed to be caused by aforementioned activity >''.

I'm on the fence when it comes to video games contributing to violent behaviour, as I think that you'd have to have some kind of underlying psychosis, for a game to trigger any kind of serious 'real world' response.

The problem is that most dissenters will not have an impartial take on the subject, because they play the games that are being negatively questioned, and have an emotional and subjective attachment to the issue at hand.

For the record, I sometimes enjoy playing video games, but these are mainly sports and racing games - violent video games don't hold any interest to me.

top topics

join