It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Turner urges global one-child policy to save planet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Ted Turner urges global one-child policy to save planet

www.theglobeandmail.com

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ted-turner-urges-global-one-child-policy-to-save-planet/article1825977/]www.theglobeandmail.com[/url ]

Climate change and population control can make for a politically explosive mix, as media mogul Ted Turner demonstrated Sunday when he urged world leaders to institute a global one-child policy to save the Earth’s environment.

Mr. Turner spoke at a luncheon where economist Brian O’Neill from the U.S.’s National Center for Atmospheric Research unveiled his study on the impact of demographic trends on future greenhouse gas emission, a little-discussed subject given its political sensitivity.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6-12-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Mr. Turner – a long-time advocate of population control – said the environmental stress on the Earth requires radical solutions, suggesting countries should follow China’s lead in instituting a one-child policy to reduce global population over time. He added that fertility rights could be sold so that poor people could profit from their decision not to reproduce.

“If we’re going to be here [as a species] 5,000 years from now, we’re not going to do it with seven billion people,” Mr. Turner said.

This is a good revalation for all those who believe that TPTB have a population control agenda, especially if you believe that the whole "man-made climate-change" issue is a farce.

Either way, this is ridiculous, as no0body should be able to tell me how many children I can and can't have. I should be able to birth as many children as I can take care of and that's that.

Furthermore, this will only help the elite, who will either disobey this law, as they do seem to be above the law, or they will simply pay through the fines to have more children, as the elite in China did.

How on Earth can anyone try to tell anyone else how many children they can have. That is just absurd and I'm not willing to give anyone that kind of power.

This should just be a hint at what kind of disgusting company CNN is and Ted Turner is an enemy and traitor to liberty. This man is dangerous.

--airspoon

www.theglobeandmail.com

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-12-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Poor Ted must have gotten drunk and stumbled upon the Georgia Guide Stones on his way to Turner/CNN headquarters in Atlanta.

edit on 6-12-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
There's a current thread in which the majority of posters advocate having reproductive rights taken from themselves.

Though I bet they imagine they're advocating themselves taking away the reproductive rights from all the groups they despise.

If they really were sheep they'd be voting for more abattoirs.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If ever implemented, let's just hope this only refers to those folks who have not had children yet, and that those who already have a brood, will not be forced to pick their favorite.

Sick, disgusting, Epic Fail!!!...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Ouch...this is a tough one.

If you look at it as an invasion of your liberties, then I would be outraged too. I constantly say we are becoming more and more like China everyday. It's getting ridiculous.

However, if you look at the logic of the proposal...I guess I can agree about 50%.

Dont get mad yet, airspoon. Hear me out.

My fiance and I were discussing the the other night. We do not have any kids, and we are in our 30's. We dont plan on having any. We are just too busy. Too many hobbies....I know it sounds selfish. But I dont think I could handle kids without ruining my quality of life.

However,
This idea that is being proposed doesnt really apply to us. Not to the average American citizen. Not the couples with jobs(sometimes multiple) who are responsible. Not the single moms that work their butts off.

This applies to the people who sit on welfare, have no ambition, and refuse to use protection. These children are leverage to get more money, and more security. In some parts of the midwest, it's almost like a third-world country. Children are born, bred into that environment, and grow up to repeat the same process. No education, no ambition, no money and no future.
It's sad. It sounds calloused, I know. But it's also true. People manipulate the system. There is no reason someone who hasnt really been employed in years should be popping out kids ever couple of years.

Putting a cap on the amount of children you have isnt really a solution though. Making people more responsible is the issue.

So, like I said....I agree...but only half.

Edit to add:
I dont think that making a one child rule will have any effect on the environment. Just the economy.
edit on 6-12-2010 by InertiaZero because: momentary lapse of...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I think it would be quite something to punch Mr Turner , right in the nuts... and I mean with pelvis shattering force. What a scumbag. Its enough of a horror that he walks around looking like Ted Turner, but talking utter trash as well ? Takes the cake if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I should be able to birth as many children as I can take care of and that's that.

You should know as well as I do that not everybody has a sense of responsibilities. The one child policy in our industrialized country would change almost nothing for us.

IF it gains support, I'd suggest that those of us who cannot or doesn't have children could give or exchange their privilege to family centered people.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The only population control method compatible with liberty and human dignity is as follows:

1.) Stop rewarding people for having bastard children.
2.) Maintain laws against child neglect.
3.) Legalize contraception and abortion (I would encourage the former and discourage the latter on moral grounds, but they should both be available especially if (1) and (2) are implemented).

That's it. That's all you have to do to keep population under control.

In rural areas it's often economically beneficial to have children. In more densely populated areas where space is at a premium, it's economically detrimental. These factors will limit population growth all by themselves without any draconian measures needed.

Notice that birth rates among middle class people in urban/suburban areas are already right around 2 people per family. They flat out don't want to pay for more.

Put the responsibility and burdens on the individual. They'll figure it out; they'll have to.

edit on 6-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
The only population control method compatible with liberty and human dignity is as follows:

1.) Stop rewarding people for having bastard children.
2.) Legalize contraception and abortion (I would encourage the former and discourage the latter on moral grounds, but they should both be available especially if (1) is implemented).
3.) Maintain laws against child neglect.

That's it. That's all you have to do to keep population under control.

In rural areas it's often economically beneficial to have children. In more densely populated areas where space is at a premium, it's economically detrimental. These factors will limit population growth all by themselves without any draconian measures needed.

Notice that birth rates among middle class people in urban/suburban areas are already right around 2 people per family. They flat out don't want to pay for more.

Put the responsibility and burdens on the individual. They'll figure it out; they'll have to.

edit on 6-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

That was exactly my point. Well said.

But until the average person is held responsible....

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Either way, this is ridiculous, as no0body should be able to tell me how many children I can and can't have. I should be able to birth as many children as I can take care of and that's that.

I agree, with one caveat....Can you take care of them, pay for them, be responsible for them, and stand by your children until they are adults? The future is unpredictable eh?

An easy thing to say, but sh*t CAN hit the fans sometimes and then more than just the parents and kids suffer. Others do too.

As a single and celibate person, WHY do I have to help pay for someone else's kids education. How is that fair?

I propose a written exam for all those wishing to be a parent. Reproduction is easy, responsibility is not.

I have no beef with anyone's wishes to have as many kids as they want, as long as they take responsibility for the world they are helping create.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
the late actor oliver reed did a scary movie about this subject along time ago look it up it was called Z.P.G.
which stood for zero population growth

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I like how this video explain our worldly population and what to expect.

Please take a look.
7 billionth

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Personally I like Ted's idea but at the same time people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies. If someone wants 8 kids that is up to them. I feel like most child births are not planned, people just need to be more responsible.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
the reason you as a celibate person has to pay for someone elses kids education is because its part of the constitution you know the part that guarantees every citizen a free and public education.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
the reason you as a celibate person has to pay for someone elses kids education is because its part of the constitution you know the part that guarantees every citizen a free and public education.

The U.S. Constitution or another one? If the U.S. one, please produce a citation.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
i got a better suggestion lets just euthanize all the greedy billionaires who have these megacorporations poluting the planet and then getting out of frying pan by buying carbon credits from some little backwater i am sure my town of 500n people with each house hold having around 3 kids leaves a smaller burden on air quality than the local weyhauser pulp mill or the powerplant down the street that incinerates pulp mills rotten wood bark for power.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Not nocking you man , or anything, But this is such an old , idea from old Ted.

He has been saying that for 25 years LOL. not saying that it dosent fit the times but , he has been wanting that for a long long time.

I think , in one of his interviews , he even said that if we didnt use mandated birth control , we would end up one day resorting to Cannibalism.

hubpages.com...

www.meehanreports.com...

econfaculty.gmu.edu... ( econfaculty.gmu.edu...)

This was 2008.

www.youtube.com...

TPTB , been working for years on it , It is as real as it gets,

www.un.org...

I am just saying.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Actually birth rates are declining already in industrialized nations, especially in Russia, China and the USA. If this trend holds these populations will continue to decline, as many people will increasingly fail to replace themselves with children.

In 3rd world nations, and interestingly enough in Muslim nations and regions the birth rates are rising.

Maybe they will eventually win the war for global domination by numbers alone.

Israel is already projecting that their democracy will eventually lead to Muslim rule as the numbers of Muslim voters grows and eventually has a majority of votes. Mainly because of the declining Jewish birth rates vs the rising Israeli Muslim birth rates.

We are not yet an endangered species, though culturally, religiously, ideologically, there may be major changes in the future. Take a good look around you wherever you are and see the "diversity" that is slowly replacing you.

The human population will eventually reach its own population limits and natural selection will control it from there.

Nature will find a way, even if we can't.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If this is enforced, less people will have children, therefore there will be a higher percentage of the world who are financially dependant i.e receiving a state pension funded by the then dwindling working population. This is already a problem in a lot of areas through-out the E.U, including the UK. Imagine how bad the situation would become if this was enforced, it would cause the economy as we know it to crash.. retirement age raised to 85 will be called for after this

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join