It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX's Dragon capsule, first privately owned spaceship, set to attempt launch into orbit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

The future of the space travel will undergo a crucial test Tuesday when the first privately owned spaceship attempts a launch into orbit. If it succeeds, SpaceX's Dragon capsule will then try to reenter the atmosphere - also a first for a nongovernment-owned spacecraft. The outcome of the launch will play a vital role in determining the direction of U.S. space travel as NASA looks to private companies to fill in the gap as the space shuttle program is put into mothballs next year. "[It is] a huge thing, gigantic, historic," TV science host Bill Nye told AOL News. "It may very well lead to everyday people having access to space." Other commercial firms - most notably Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic - have achieved suborbital flight, but this would be the first to break free of the atmosphere. SpaceX - founded by PayPal guru Elon Musk - signed a $1.6 billion contract with NASA in December 2008 to conduct 12 resupply missions to the International Space Station. A second rocket-building company, Orbital Sciences Corp., has a similar $1.9 billion deal with NASA. Tomorrow's test launch from Cape Canaveral will attempt to put the gumdrop-shaped Dragon capsule into orbit atop an 18-story Falcon 9 rocket. If it makes it back, it's hoped the capsule will land in the Pacific off California. It would mark an important step in showing that private industry is technologically up to snuff to take over travel into space. Musk, 39, said when Congress authorized the private launch in October that it set "NASA on an exciting course" while "recognizing the valuable role American companies are ready to undertake." With News Wire Services

I wonder what else they have going on behind the scenes. Like, what other missions?

NyDailyNews

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

What I would like to know...

If it succeeds, SpaceX's Dragon capsule

is why the owners named it "Dragon?" Are they in league with the Draco? Everybody's nervous, we have space based weapons systems for unknown reason at a multi billion dollar budget, we have an oppressive government that owns free and clear most of the good real estate in America, and own by proxy all the rest of the land, only that which is patented is wholly owned by the land owner. We have legislation designed to seize our personal weapons, and mind controlling beams aimed at us, we are tracked everywhere we go, and are watched all the time. Something big is about to come down, I can feel it, people. I don't know what it is, but I have suspicions, as I have laid out in this forum before. Am I alone here?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

You know, I agree with you. I'm so proud to be an American. After hearing about the origin of the Star Spangled Banner, I give up with this government. I'm totally hopeless, I gave up all hope, nothing is going to change. The people are blind and the media has become their eyes. Thats a sad thing

I watched Jesse Venturas show, and in general, he brings up alot of questions that should be asked. The one about Wall Street and the Reserve, the people should be rioting over that. But we riot over Black Friday.

I say, to hell with it, let them do what they want. I live my life and I try to be as kind and nice to my fellow creatures on this planet, we all share it. Screw tptb. If they want to put me in a plastic coffin, if they want to put my family in a Fema Camp, for control or whatever the hell it is they want from us, so be it. Because whatever comes in the next life HAS to be better than this one. I just hope me and my family are right with God. And everyone here.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

As far as the name Dragon, this is the closest I came up with:

Draco is a small hypergolic rocket engine (known as a thruster) designed by SpaceX for use on their Dragon spacecraft[2] and the upper stage of their Falcon 9 rocket[3].

Draco thrusters generate 90 pounds-force (400 newtons) of force using a mixture of monomethyl hydrazine fuel and nitrogen tetroxide oxidizer. Eighteen Draco thrusters will be used on the Dragon spacecraft for attitude control and manuevering.[1] Four Draco thrusters will be used on the Falcon 9 second-stage as a reaction control system.[3]

Wikipedia

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Yup it's set to go up at 9:06am and I am going to film it
I will post it after I get home later tonight since I have to go to work.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well it's been put on hold til 10:42am. They don't say why..

spaceflightnow.com...

real time updates

I was outside freezing and it's put on hold...I will try the next time.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Have the footage and it's loading...will post later when I get home. Have to go to work and they took my internet away

Well it loaded pretty quick on youtube after taking forever from my phone

Go to the 40sec mark. Its in the middle. Looks small I know but it's actually a lot closer in person. I am only about 25miles from the launch area.

edit on 12/8/2010 by mblahnikluver because: add video

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The technology is 50 years old, what's all this buzz about?
They got plenty of govt support. What's the big deal?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Video added
so I am bumping your thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Well to those of us who are interested in anything space related it is a big deal. It's the first privately owned craft to be launched. If you don't think it's a big deal, why come in here and make comments? I am in school for aerospace tech and I love this stuff. I watch ALL launches since I am lucky enough to live close enough and see the launches from my balcony.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Looked pretty cool you got a nice cell phone camera but man you got a shaky hand lol

it was still cool thanks.

Their suppose to come back in 3 hours???

I'm hoping to hear the sonic boom...
edit on 8-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
Looked pretty cool you got a nice cell phone camera but man you got a shaky hand lol

There suppose to come back in 3 hours??

I'm hoping to hear the sonic boom.

It will land in the Pacific and I have a Droid and its 45 degrees outside, you trying holding anything steady.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

It will land in the Pacific and I have a Droid and its 45 degrees outside, you trying holding anything steady.

I'm in florida also had that cold snap come in...

I can hold alot of things steady sir

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I like the fact that it was filmed by an ATSer.
I am hoping for more footage of when it broke the stratosphere lol

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

No you ain't alone. There is a two hundred and twenty seventh single possibility in the works. What we have is a private enterprise assisting the ISS (supposedly)

The possible infiltration of nAssa?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It launched today and is set to splashdown down in the Pacific around 2PM EST.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I'm in florida also had that cold snap come in...

I can hold alot of things steady sir

First of all I am not a sir I am a female. Second of all it is NOT shaky. If you dont like it do it yourself..

WTH is wrong with you people. Im SICK of the complaining about things. I dont see you filming crap! I showed everyone and told them how YOU said it was shaky and well they said you were crazy. Sorry but its steadier than any UFO video I have seen.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Well to those of us who are interested in anything space related it is a big deal. It's the first privately owned craft to be launched. If you don't think it's a big deal, why come in here and make comments

Because I'm entitled to comments here on ATS and I don't need any Nazi's to tell me otherwise, even if they are space buffs.

Um Nazi?? Wow I knew it wouldnt take long before some immature idiot called me that. I am half German and have been called a Nazi many times, tell me something new please. I can't wait.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Um Nazi?? Wow I knew it wouldnt take long before some immature idiot called me that.

a) you had the gut feeling, huh?
b) great argument in the second half, just brilliant

I am half German and have been called a Nazi many times

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but then again...

Seriously, I made a relevant comment on the nature of technology in question and you told me to shut up. I don't know what it makes you, up to you to decide.

There is ONE fuel injector in the engine, as opposed to multiple in V-2 (that resonates with the Nazi bit, doesn't it). Primitive tech funded in part by taxpayers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join