It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else get depressed from listening to music?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In the past I would always listen to music a lot and the more I would listen to music the more I would be thinking about a lot of negative things. I have been trying to listen to music a lot LESS and it's been helping my mental health so much more. Like I would always think about the negative aspects of all my relationships and all my friendships with others over the positive aspects... at least but now that I have been doing it less I just feel better about myself.

Even though I'm not doing any more than I was before, or that I am not having any more mental stimulation than I was in the past- I feel that like just for some reason if I over listen to music that it'll make me think of all these other things in life that aren't so great. IDK... but my mental health is a lot better off when I'm not listening to music so much of the time. Is anyone else like this? I'm just wondering.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I hear you on this one... If i'm in a few certain moods, music is the worst thing for me. Brings back bad memories and experiences. But other then that, music is the best thing since anything.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It seems to me that it's all in the actual music itself. If I listen to most mainstream music it can really get me down, but other music I find I can draw strength from. Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you listen to?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I guess it depends what music you listen too.

When I broke up with my first ever long term girlfriend I spent a long time listening to Radioheads OK Computer and being very depressed, even now I can't help feeling a little depressed when I hear it

I defy you to be depressed while listening to this

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Kraken

I listen to mainstream music too. Panic at the Disco, The Killers, System of a Down, Franz Ferdinand, things like that. I just think that the music that I listen to tends to initiate the emotional side of my brain so that's why it causes me to think about all of these things that I would never think about normally.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If you want to heal your depression, heal your heart, then you need to get away from mainstream music altogether. It is intentionally set up harmonically to cause dissonance in us. It is not good and it is done intentionally. There just so happens to be a very good thread going on right now about this very thing.

Go here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you want more info on some really good healing music, just let me know : )

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathofall

Thanks! Ill check it out. However, I am not depressed. Listening to music is what makes me like that.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Well Frank, selling depressing lyrics to teenagers has been the cornerstone of the music industry for a long time ... heck I love Linkin Park and I'm 43.

But for the good stuff New Order/Joy Division sets the standard ...

"When I was a very small boy
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we've grown up together
They're afraid of what they see
That's the price that we all pay
Our valued destiny comes to nothing
I can't tell you where we're going
I guess there's just no way of knowing

I used to think that the day would never come
I'd see the light in the shade of the morning sun
My morning sun is the drug that brings me near
To the childhood I lost, replaced by fear
I used to think that the day would never come
That my life would depend on the morning sun"

Heck that whole early 80's new wave period was bipolar nirvana.
Speaking of which, Nirvana and STP were no sunshine and rainbows either.

Portishead should be illegal.

edit on 4 Dec 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks for the advice! A lot of songs are about breakups too so maybe I shouldn't be looking towards music for inspiration or helping me feel better if something is bothering me. Breakup songs can be really depressing... and a lot of these songs about loneliness when I am feeling lonely at a particular time don't really help. I mean I still like listening to music... but now I just do it in moderation.

I used to listen to music just to pass the time... and well just when you are in a bad mood, or when you're bored, perhaps listening to music isn't the best thing to do because it'll kind of confirm your negative feelings that you have about yourself even when they aren't true. I don't listen to music for lyrics in a song... but like sometimes they might have an impact on your mood level.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I absolutely love music. It has been a passion of mine for my entire life. I have played drums/percussion since I was 7. I was a metal guy for most of that time, but I always liked all types of other music as well. As I began to learn about TPTB and what they are doing to us, I realized that I can't listen to that type of music anymore. Thankfully, I also love classical. Mozart, Beethoven, Hayden as most people know as the popular ones. Of course I like many others. But the sad thing is, is that I research everything, and I learned that my immortal beloved top three are all created characters also. No different than today's idols. Virtually created characters backed by the Illuminati back when they were really the Illuminati. Most of Mozart's music was written after his death, Beethoven's live in teacher wrote most of his stuff and Hayden had a staff of writers working for him. You see, it's all an illusion. Still I love their works. Just remember this about music, or anything for that matter: Garbage in, garbage out. We don't even come close to fully understanding the power of music and the vibrations contained within. I wish I could say what is good and bad, but I really don't know. These evil mages that run the show know far more than we could ever hope to know. Who knows what they do to our music to affect us. The classical era of music and Vienna were with out question, owned and run by the Illuminati. That is a fact. What a mess they have created. What a travesty they impose upon our lives.

If you want some music that will really warm your soul and leave you with really good feelings inside, please check out Dean Evenson and Scott Huckabay. They work together and solo. Their music will blow you away. But it is not rock and roll. Garbage....OUT!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

join