It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA "Astrobiology" News Finding: A HOAX!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
That to which we have seen in these days about an presumed incredible discovery from NASA is a total and very well orchestrated FRAUD! The News "Did nature also choose arsenic?" is an old news of two years before.
Then a real hoax, an hype, coming through the MSM and the scientific world and made by NASA!

International Journal of Astrobiology.
The aricle is from July 2008!

Organisms utilizing such ‘weird life’ biochemical pathways may have supported a ‘shadow biosphere’ at the time of the origin and early evolution of life on Earth or on other planets. Such organisms may even persist on Earth today, undetected, in unusual niches.

journals.cambridge.org...

The same researchers: Felisa Wolfe-Simon, Paul C.W. Davies and Ariel D. Anbar!!!

And other OLD NEWS ABOUT BACTERIA AND ARSENIC .

Arsenic(III) Fuels Anoxygenic Photosynthesis in Hot Spring Biofilms from Mono Lake, California

www.sciencemag.org...

www.pnas.org...

bytesizebio.net...

QUESTION: WHY NASA DO THIS AND WHY TODAY?

And thanks to zorgon, for his input.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Correct me if I'm wrong, But I think they already knew that the bacteria was living among the arsenic. What they didn't know was that the bacteria itself was made up of toxic chemicals, not phosphorus based like our DNA. Which means life on other planets could also be based on toxic chemicals.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePyramidAgenda

This.

It was already discussed in another thread by the way.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

What? I don't really get your post.
Am I wrong?

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Why is it a hoax?

From what I can gather, Felisa Wolfe-Simon wrote a hypothesis about the possibility of Arsenic based life in 2008 and only now has it been confirmed.

There is a big difference between a hypothesis and confirmed.

Here's an article from 2009 by Astrobiology magazine, who is associated with NASA:

www.astrobio.net...

edit on 3/12/10 by Chadwickus because: (reason classified)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I said you were right.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Sorry, I didn't really get the point.
'This' didn't really explain much

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Oh, I see it used a fair bit. It's just like saying "Agreed" or whatever.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Next time read sources and research the findings that Nasa presented.

This is NOT a hoax.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I dont want steal the surprise.

Please read all the OLD scientific articles linked, and you can find the answer.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Ok, here we go.

Article from OP's source (journals.cambridge.org...)

We Hypothesize that ancient biochemical systems, analogous to but distinct from those known today, could have utilized arsenate in the equivalent biological role as phosphate

Hypothesis, an educated guess.

Now NASA's article on the new finding. (www.nasa.gov...)

Researchers conducting tests in the harsh environment of Mono Lake in California have Discovered the first known microorganism on Earth able to thrive and reproduce using the toxic chemical arsenic. The microorganism substitutes arsenic for phosphorus in its cell components

Discovered:
1. Find (something or someone) unexpectedly or in the course of a search.
2. Become aware of (a fact or situation)

In other words, the hypothesis has been confirmed.
Enjoy.

Cheers
Brady
edit on 3-12-2010 by ThePyramidAgenda because: typo

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Why is NASA hogging all the spotlight on alien life, when in fact the life isn't alien, but it's just a postulation that life could exist in extreme conditions on this planet and then on other planets and moons?

This NEWS is NOT a NEWS.

This NEWS is ONLY the PROLOGUE (for the crowd) for the NEXT REAL NEWS!

We still waiting.....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I think you need to do a bit more reading.

The meaning of Alien doesn't mean that it is another form of intelligent species from outer space.

Alien:
1. Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents.
2. Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign.
3. Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament.

The 'Alien' life they are referring to means that the way the life form is, is inconsistent with the building blocks of life we previously thought were the only ones. Therefore they are Alien.

I don't see what your getting at?

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Breaking news.

"NASA "Astrobiology" News Finding: A HOAX!, page 1" is a Hoax.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePyramidAgenda

What? I don't really get your post.
Am I wrong?

Cheers
Brady

No... I don't get it either.. why is it a hoax? The post should be called old news from NASA.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I was replying to the post underneath of the OP's post

But I don't get the point in the thread anyway, it confused the heck out of me. But I think I made my point.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Arsenic-based life forms probably smell pretty bad. I don't know, maybe we should skip this one.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
So, in your opinion this is the amazing NASA Discovery?

So: Billions dollars budgets to this stupid and OLD NEWS?

Bacteria lives in the most terrible hells and incredible environment FROM ALWAYS!!!

This is known even by my little cousin of seven years old!

And this is the stupid DISCOVERY??? No. REALLY???

And NASA has never searched other different possible live forms, different from our earthling biological/chemical composition on other planets (MARS, VENUS; etc... etc...) or others moons (TITAN, RHEA, ENCELADUS, etc... etc...) in our Solar System?

NO. Really!?????
A waste of Billions dollars !
Disgust!

NASA: SHAME ON YOU!

We are in the hands of a bunch of fools!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

It isn't old news. The discovery of the microbes happened about 2 years ago. But do you not understand that scientific research takes time? All things need to be first observed before you can conclude your hypothesis. The fact that these microbes could feed on arsenic was news from 2 years ago.

The fact that this microbe's DNA is MADE of arsenic is news from yesterday, not 2 years ago. They have arsenic in their DNA where we have phosphorus in ours. This is huge news, yes, because it means that DNA (life) can be comprised of elements other than we previously thought. This means that life could exist in many more places and environments than we had thought. This is opening the door to further options for finding ET life.

So you are upset that NASA didn't give you "aliens"...but don't you think we ought to understand our own planet and the life on it before we get onto aliens?

We are looking for life elsewhere and we still haven't even found all the life that there is here!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Of course bacteria can survive in extreme environments FROM ALWAYS!!!! But that's nto what the discovery is. The discovery of two years ago was a kind of bacteria that could survive in an environment which was previously thought to permit NO life whatsoever. Then the announcement yesterday was that they were MADE of stuff that other life isn't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join