It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside Wikileaks - My time with the most dangerous website of the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
On Wednesday Daniel Domscheit-Berg aka former Wikileaks spokesperson Daniel Schmitt appeared on German tv at Stern tv.

As soon as January 27th next year his book with the title "Inside Wikileaks - My time with the most dangerous website of the world" will be published.

Many see him as a traitor to Wikileaks. I myself always tried to understand his position and motives. Not everybody is strong enough to stand against all those accusations and even calls for assasination.
But now it looks a little odd, how quickly he comes up with a book with insider views.

The Bild titles: "Now the former Wikileaks speaker is going to blow the whistle".
Here is a bad Google translation: Article

But Daniel is not as anti-Wikileaks as the newspaper wants to think us on first sight. He says, Assange is a brilliant person with his own weaknesses, he thinks, it was important to release the cables to get a complete picture of our own history and that it is important to have websites, which make such things public.

On the other hand, Daniel told in former interviews, that he quit his job a year ago and had spent all his money while working for Wikileaks. This could be a motivation to write a book that quickly.

However I look at it, I also remember him criticizing, that even he as a spokesperson did not know, who was working on what at Wikileaks. So I wonder, what he has to tell about the "inside".

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm glad the "hard-on-for-public-disclosure" crowd is starting to see that wikileaks is just as bad. In fact, worse.

At least governments do SOME good things, like maintain roads and public education (no matter how bad you think public education is, any education is better than no education, which is the alternative for a lot of underprivileged people). Wikileaks does nothing but spread havoc and hold information hostage like a bunch of terrorists.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wow, let's bash wikileaks and just turn a blind eye to the crimes of the mafia government. I am so glad JA is not at all interested in public opinion.

May God protect him from the people he is trying to help.

edit on 2-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I hope he gets a lot of money from it, he probably will and I hope he does.

I don't think he is blowing any whistle on Wikileaks at all. At least not to my knowledge, I would have to research more regarding that. You can see him on various videos on the CCC server, and they are pretty interesting.

reply to post by pondrthis

I think you need to realize what good WL has done.
edit on 2/12/2010 by the_denv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pondrthis
I'm glad the "hard-on-for-public-disclosure" crowd is starting to see that wikileaks is just as bad. In fact, worse.

At least governments do SOME good things, like maintain roads and public education (no matter how bad you think public education is, any education is better than no education, which is the alternative for a lot of underprivileged people). Wikileaks does nothing but spread havoc and hold information hostage like a bunch of terrorists.

Unbelievable. Enjoy the FEMA camps.

second

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pondrthis

And I'm glad that your able to find a new label for those who seek the truth.

Classy attempt at simplifying things for yourself...Good job

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

Maybe I should have told you also, that Daniel announced his own Whistleblower-website in about two weeks.

Imagine, Daniel's and John Young's vision would become true! You would have to assasinate a lot of people, to get rid of them all...

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I find it rather funny how it's only the truth to the "powers that be" crowd when it bashes the U.S. government.

I'm an outspoken critic of the government - I'm a small-government, big person kind of guy. I've had some conversations where I, more or less, have stated secession is my preferred way of dealing with the next 3000 page bill of nonsense to pass congress.

However, there's a distinct difference between seeking the truth and blaming all of your woes on mythical government constructs. It is not inherently evil or out to get you. People like me are - I like to know things for the sake of knowing them - even if it will trouble me to know, and even if it's socially unacceptable for me to know. I keep myself in check - but, I have my moments of rage-inspired insanity where I do not check my craving for knowledge.

In either case - sites like wikileaks are bound to have their own problems. I would imagine most of the work is volunteer, and lacks solid cohesion and leadership - which makes it a horribly frustrating thing for those donating time and money. It would be understandable why this guy would be upset.

I don't really condemn him for writing a book with the hopes of making profit off of its sales. I plan on one day writing a book about my experiences in the military. I could write a 50-100 page book about my experiences in Korea (limited as they are) and probably bank on the current events. People's minds are on Wikileaks and Korea - a good time for those with experience in either to be publishing books about them.

Some would consider it devious or exploiting current events. I would simply call it efficient marketing. Stores aren't looked at as having ulterior motives when placing Christmas Decorations for sale in December, as opposed to June.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I never saw Daniel "Schmitt" as a traitor. Right now I think the more, that he jumped off that train, before it could not be stopped anymore. I think, he did well. He is a young man and has a future and has different plans.

But also, I think, Julian Assange did well. He knew, when he reached the point of no return and continued. This was his choice, and I guess, he had to do it.

Thinking about it again, even the book could be for the good of both. Daniel could get back his life and people will see, that Assange is just a human being - extraordinary, but human. Maybe this can help stop all those theories I read here and elsewhere, about Wikileaks being CIA, Chinese, Russian, Mossad and what else.

Yes, I will buy that book. And if it will be still of interest for you here, I will tell you, what's in it. Hope, it won't be an obituary, as even some here on ATS wish.

Else I will contact Daniel and tell him, that it is time to come back on the train.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The FAZ just reported about Daniel Domscheit-Berg's plans. He wants to install anonymous electrical mailboxes, to give whistleblowers the possibility to upload their data. From safe servers the informations would directly be forwarded to the media.

This service will cost a five figure sum in Euros, smaller papers can get a minor service for less...

Mhm... Why don't I like this idea?

new topics

top topics

join