It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find 200 Sextillion More Stars in the Sky

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Enjoy this lil humbling moment. I have a feeling there'll be more.

I just came across this and thought i'd share. At the least it's a good picture for your monitor background.lol.

Enjoy-

A study suggests the universe could have triple the number of stars scientists previously calculated. For those of you counting at home, the new estimate is 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. That's 300 sextillion.

The study questions a key assumption that astronomers often use: that most galaxies have the same properties as our Milky Way. And that's creating a bit of a stink among astronomers who want a more orderly cosmos.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Just thought i'd share this and help keep those egos in-check... Yes we really are a spec in the Universe... Thats slowly but surely becoming a smaller spec each day

edit on 1/12/10 by WHOS READY because: spacky fingers

edit on 1/12/10 by WHOS READY because: i dribbled a little

edit on 1/12/10 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
most boring news yet lol (just playin with yea)

but that really does bore me..lol

THIS JUST IN!!! SPACE IS EVEN BIGGER THAN YOU THOUGHT!!

haha

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
another thing iv always wondered though... i know theyre pros and all.. but out of ALLLLLL those stars theres gotta be a good number they counted more than once or twice lmao i cant even count that high

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
They FOUND all of those stars, then counted them... then named the incredibly large number after what they realized they hadn't had in the 20 years it took to accurately count them?

Zing!
edit on 1-12-2010 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I think the reason is because as our technology progresses with computers, The stars are getting easier to count.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Gotta agree with a poster above. This is pretty boring. What does it matter if there X sextillion stars, or X+200 sextillion stars out there? It's still more stars than people can fathom.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
if you don't believe in God, go to the hubble telescope website and look at the pictures this thing has taken of a small, small fraction of the universe.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sextillion. Looks like they ran out of words.

Another note, im not surprised, I bet theres even more. Its an infinite place.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Astonishing to say the least

I can only smile when scientists get spanked.... Again !

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Chances of life on other planets just went up by a gibozillion... now thats a lot

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
At everyone who thinks they count the stars WHAT makes you think they count them THEY cant even see them they estimate the number of galaxies then estimate the numbers of stars in them .

Only the very largest of telescopes now can actually make out individual stars in the closest galaxies to us, the only time they can make out a star in another galaxy is when it goes nova!

Any picture you see with stars in it like this for example,are stars in our galaxy.

THE number is the best guess with current information it will always change

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yep, so do I... But it's still a lil cool.. Even though the main picture makes a crap background.lol.

I'm surprised I got this many replies... All as we need now is a craft capable of visiting.... , even just a few of them!

And yes, i'm sure the number will be going up as time progresses!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Now, that's an interesting find.

And we're gonna get to see the power of modern astronomy in action soon :
for all their equations to hold, they'll have to admit that there was less dark matter than previously thought.
But, if this last find is proven false, then they'll just revise their dark matter stuff and all will be good again.

MAGIC!
edit on 2-12-2010 by Chrysalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined

they didn't run out of words. People have just been running around saying things like a "zillion" for a long time now when the truth is that there are numbers after trillion. Quadrillion, Quintillion, Sextillion, Septillion etc is what I believe they are named. Makes sense if you think about it.

Another note, space isn't infinite, it's finite. Thats why it's EXPANDING.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Astonishing to say the least
I can only smile when scientists get spanked.... Again !

Yes, scientists got spanked -
by scientists!

I'm sure the event was mutually enjoyed by all concerned.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Its big...no doubt but infinate...maybe not.
Maybe some day we will be able to work out where the edge is...if there is infact an edge to our universe.
If its infinate then WOW thats something i cant comprehend

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electric Crown

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined

they didn't run out of words. People have just been running around saying things like a "zillion" for a long time now when the truth is that there are numbers after trillion. Quadrillion, Quintillion, Sextillion, Septillion etc is what I believe theyare named. Makes sense if you think about it.

Only some people have used those terms. They are based on powers of a thousand. There is an alternative, called the long scale, based on powers of a million, where the progression is million, milliard, billion, billiard, trillion, trilliard. This scale was used in pre-1974 Britain, post-1961 France. Some other European countries still use the long scale.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Honestly folks the scientists must be on some thing *** trying calculate the unimaginable really why try counting how many stars there are ... that the sort of thing ....hippies do when they're on hallucinogenic drugs but if you're blockhead and wants to count stars then honestly folks you must be mad.

I wonder what is the biggest number you can imagine how many zeros you can place in a straight line going from here to infinitum let's face it infinity is a joke HA,HA
edit on 2-12-2010 by pierre6000 because: corrections

edit on 2-12-2010 by pierre6000 because: corrections

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Gotta agree with a poster above. This is pretty boring. What does it matter if there X sextillion stars, or X+200 sextillion stars out there? It's still more stars than people can fathom.

Easy. If we take the most conservative estimates on how many planets support life similar to ours...and add a whole bunch more stars with a probability of having life...the number of life-supporting planets in the estimation goes way up - and so does the probability that life has evolved elsewhere.

I think this is fascinating!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
SEX-tillion ??????

I think this will be the last time they let Randy the office virgin come up with the numbers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join