It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help identifying a rock..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

Maybe it's my age or maybe it's my monitor but I really can't see it well enough to even make a guess which is a shame as I enjoy these rock identifying threads!

Is there any chance at all of bigger pictures? please

edit on 1-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It is cold but i tried a magnet i have on it and nothing. No magnetism at all. I was interested in if enyone knew what kind of rock it was. No biggie. Thank you everyone for your opinions.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKinLaB
It is cold but i tried a magnet i have on it and nothing. No magnetism at all. I was interested in if enyone knew what kind of rock it was. No biggie. Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Dont give up yet, Some expert here will tell you. just wait for them to post. They will be along.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

Big giant leap of offering here...know any knappers?

it could be obsidian...but I think its "coke" sp?...the slag off an ole iron foundery...it can come in colors ranging from turquise to green, reds blues, and of course black...
slagg glass impurities from the melting......of iron castors

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969

Originally posted by SKinLaB

Dont give up yet, Some expert here will tell you. just wait for them to post. They will be along.

The Experts are here, can't do much with the photos provided. If OP is really interested in identifying the rock we'll need better pictures.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GammaRayBurst

Yes, i found a picture that looks just like the O.P's, It is raw jet..

cgi.ebay.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by russ1969

Wheey" i was actually right for once

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If it's Jet it will leave a brown / black mark if you rub it across a rough surface like cement

Edit to add
You can also do a pin test on it,
Heat the end of a pin and push it into the stone, does it go in? does it smell of anything?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

see i was thinking the same thing, but i rubbed a piece my sister had of thick course sandpaper and absolutely nothing apart from the damage to the jet jewllery of hers, Hur hur

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

here in florida we have agatized coral it can be may different colors including black look close at it see any astrik looking shapes on it? not sure if thats what you got there or not it kind of looks more like foslized bone. i have done road work and seen lots of base or shell rock as you called it. and yes its from florida. i hunt arrowheads alot of them in florida are made of agatized coral we dont have many types of local stone. hope this helps

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I took some pictures of what I have, you can see if it resembles any of them...it would be hard to determine which stone it is, especially with the pictures you have being so small!

media.abovetopsecret.com... ...click ATS pics!
edit on 12/1/2010 by Givenmay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

A lot of Jet jewellery isn't actually made of Jet though, I guess it depends how sure you are that it was Jet in the first place

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by SKinLaB

its a black stone used in jewllery over near where i live i think, theres not many places its found in abundance, bet yeah it looks like unpolished jet to me

You must be in my general area (somewhere near Whitby ... I'm the other side of the moor) because as far as I know that is one of the few places where we get Jet from ... in fact I thought that stretch of coast was the only place you can get Jet from.

I tend to go against the Jet route myself because it looks a little bit too smooth whereas Jet appears more cleavaged ... like coal ... but could be wrong (it's been known to happen before)

I'm more inclined to think it's some form of Tektite ... from the pictures shown it could have metamorphic qualities which would support the heat that would have been involved with Tektite as a meteorite residue (the smoothness) ... but if that guess is correct it would be metallic ... can't tell from the pictures if it's metallic ... failing that I'll go with obsidian (again because of the metamorphic look to it ... and of course the colour)

Woody

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by amtarcher

if its coral...it will have a network of tubes or tracks...much like an ant hill "cut away view"

Here is a coral knife I have

files.abovetopsecret.com...

but it can come in black...and it has viens....for lack of better words....

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I would agree with you that it's unlikely to be Jet.

I also like the word cleavaged and intend to start using it in everyday conversation

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Ayeee im over near helmsley, nr the white horse bank

edit on 1/12/10 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I grew up in the Sarasota area, thus my name here, LidoBeachJesse. I agree that your rock has a good chance of being fossilized bone. Florida has a lot of fossils. I have a similar "rock" on my desk, only it is larger and easier to identify as a fossilized rib bone. It is black and heavy for it's size. You might try the South Florida Museum, www.southfloridamuseum.org and see if they can help you.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I would agree with you that it's unlikely to be Jet.

I also like the word cleavaged and intend to start using it in everyday conversation

Didn't I read on the snow thread that your girlfriend has been held-up at the airport due to the weather ... I think the sooner you get her picked up the better my friend ... love it ... it is a great word though isn't it ?

Woody

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a black onyx perhaps, nice find friend
keep it for sure

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You are correct I've only my cats for company at the moment.

For the OP there is a little ebay guide here that might help you discern what your rock is

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join