It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Decade Should You Have Been Born In?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I was wondering if some of you out there felt as if you should have been born at a different time, and if so.. which one? I was born in the early 70's, and love all things 70's and 80's. I seem to be prone to enjoy things that I was to young to appreciate at the time, but if you met me, you would think that I was partying at the time.

So, I ask, what decade do you enjoy the most? What do you love about it? and were you actually alive, or to young at the time to have enjoyed it then?

Peace, NRE.

BTW, share some pics or music vids, or even commercials of the time, I think it would be fun! Ill come by later and share some of my favorites.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
i'm wishing only that I was not born on to this planet at all, or maybe even at all.... if I had no choice, as is the matter of birth, i'd have chose 2020s.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
i'm wishing only that I was not born on to this planet at all, or maybe even at all....

ditto.

But if i had too, a tibetan monk living a few hundred years back. Do not like western civilisation, and would of loved to live as a monk few hundred years back, instead of today in consumer mad society.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
i'm wishing only that I was not born on to this planet at all, or maybe even at all.... if I had no choice, as is the matter of birth, i'd have chose 2020s.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I want to skip all this BS that is/will be here for a looong time to come and jump right into the good part: exploring space beyond our solar system. What year would that be? Darned if I know.. or if we can even make it there.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I would say from 1920 to 1933 the Prohibition years back when running shine was fun

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't know which decade, but I'd like to be born during 7,000 BC.
Farming, agriculture, writing, and settlements were just being established (according to academia), so some hard work and intelligence could go a long way. Far from all of the great conquerors and rulers of history. True freedom to live and die. More hardships, yes I can imagine. Small village/tribal life where everyone pulls their own weight. A time when honor, respect, and character mattered more than anything else. Far from all of the technological, material, and entertainment distractions that blind us from our lives today. We lived in a clean world that was free from the pollution of our own filth. You died younger, but your life meant more.

Take me waaaaay back.

edit on 12/1/10 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i would like the 80es or more like the 90es that would be awesome
things were still fresh

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I loved the 80's and 90's! 70's were good too! Of course I wasn't born until late 70's, but I heard it
60's , nah a little late for me.

For me, 80's and 90's - That was awesome!
I have so many songs from those decades now on mp3

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'll go along with Hillbilly on the rum running

I'd have been a gun moll or gang leader such as Ma Barker.
My one Grandmother was in bootlegging, but she was just a "middleman" of sorts and not really all that into the business.

I also like the 1930s and 40s as I like Art Deco and Art Nouveau and I like the clothes and cars from this era.

I love all the old movies with Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, Garbo, all the old greats.

I think this would've been an interesting time to live in.

But I can still find Art Deco and Nouveau things, I have many antiques such as these in my home, and I look fantastic in the old style suits - I have slim hips and broad shoulders - so this style of clothing looks good on me. I also look good in hats. I love hats!

How great it would've been to hang around in the Jazz clubs and speakeasies......

I am a lifelong Chicagoan also - and back in these days - Chi Town was THE place to be! I love to watch the local PBS shows about this era, the clothes, the clubs, the gangster speakeasies, all the great jazz.......

Ah. Sigh.

Born too late.

Will try to find some of these documentaries on Chicago in the 30s and 40s. Really great stuff.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I would quite like to experience the 20's - 30's in England but it would only be any fun if I were rich as well (In fact most time periods are pretty fun if your rich, even this one) they had some pretty wild parties back then.

Also if it could be arranged I would like to skip the whole ww2 bit and move straight on to dating Marilyn Monroe

Thanks in advance

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
OK, found some videos -

(Can't find the PBS ones yet, they do offer these on their pledge drives - so might not be available.)

But I found some others of Chicago back in the day

1940's Chicago

(Streetcars/Trolleys no longer exist here.)

Still looking for some documentaries, found some old jazz and blues tunes -

Chicago In Mind, Albert Ammons

Another Albert Ammons, played by a modern musician - and MAN is this guy GOOD!
Albert Ammons' Boogie Woogie Stomp

If I can find a good documentary on Chi in the 30s and 40s, will post it. Still looking

I listen to these old tunes and I know I was born in the wrong time!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I also like 1930s architecture!

Dave in London reminded me of this, hope to see it one day, it is magnificent!

Battersea Power Station, Wikipedia

We have old buildings and factories here like this too. Alas, many have been torn down

Either this one, or one by the same architect (s) was used for the Pink Floyd "Animals" album artwork.
Which to me, was rather creepy, yet mesmerizing.

I actually went into manufacturing because I liked these old places so much! And I was able to work in some ancient factories that looked much like this. I have seen things that no one else will ever see - many are gone now......

When I was in school there was a guy, a bit older, who got to see, as a child - the original brick blast furnaces at US Steel. Everyone was jealous

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
...i'll stick with the decade i was born in - the 50s... we didnt have tv til the early 60s and no a/c until the late 60s but we didnt have to use an outhouse and that works just fine for me... we had decent music, BIG cars with no seat belts, lousy tv, corny beach movies, goofy sci-fi movies, terrific horror flicks, grape nehi and cloves gum... shoot, you'd have to be rotten to the core to ask for more...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

edit on 1-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Really, the way my world view and morals are, I think I was born a few hundred years too late. A lot of this modern "civilization" disgusts me to no end.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Whiffer Nippets

You better come to london really fast then because they are going to knock it down in a minute!
They say they are going to rebuild the chimneys but I don't believe it

link
edit on 1-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Go chain yourself to it!

I certainly hope it will be photographed thoroughly before it's demise!

I am very sad to hear of this

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
1930, so my teen years would had been in the '40s. Yeah, WW2 and the like, but I love fashion, music, movies... and ok, I have been obsessed with WW2 since I was a child so even the war would be OK too

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I was born in 1988 and my favorite decade is the 80's. I remember the 90's and I don't miss them. The early 00's were better any day to the 90's. In addition to the 80's, I also like the 50's, the 60's and the 70's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join