It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Hanukkah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wishing my Jewish friends Happy Hanukkah.

Shalom

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4100c7c62ee8.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Hanukkah (Hebrew: חֲנֻכָּה‎, Tiberian: Ḥănukkāh, nowadays usually spelled חנוכה pronounced [χanuˈka] in Modern Hebrew, also romanized as Chanukah), also known as the Festival of Lights is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt of the 2nd century BCE, Hanukkah is observed for eight nights, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar.

The festival is observed by the kindling of the lights of a unique candelabrum, the nine-branched Menorah or Hanukiah, one additional light on each night of the holiday, progressing to eight on the final night. The typical Menorah consists of 9 branches. An extra light called a shamash (Hebrew: שמש, "attendant" or "sexton")[1] is also lit each night for the purpose of lighting the others, and is given a distinct location, usually above or below the rest. The "shamash" symbolically supplies light that may be used.

en.wikipedia.org...

A Hanukkiya or Hanukkah Menorah
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c59c9108129.jpg[/atsimg]

Thought I woiuld post some information for those who may not be familiar with Hanukkah, the Menorah and the lighting of the candles.

Shalom

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
lol

its actually chanuka

but pronounced hanuka

as the word `chet`-- ccchhh.. back of throat ccch, a lot of westerners have problems pronouncing

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

Aware of that, but this is America and that is how it is spelled here, really doesn't matter. Since I don't speak Hebrew I do not have the accent. My two grandchildren are going to Hebrew school now and they do very well with the pronunciation, when you are eight and ten years old it is very easy.

Shalom

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabbigoldstein
lol

its actually chanuka

but pronounced hanuka

as the word `chet`-- ccchhh.. back of throat ccch, a lot of westerners have problems pronouncing

Indeed, happy Haunukah.

This holiday is meaningful to all who wish to overcome the darkness of the western hellenistic philosophy.......

Last year i spent each night of Haunukah mediating for an hour before my menorah.. Its a special little ritual. The purpose of the 8 days is to reveal the point of the soul. So each day deals with one of the 7 lower sefirot, while the 8th is the encompassing light of Truth - of G-d.

Very meaningful time for me. Even as a gentile, this is my most favorite time of the year.

Shalom

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

Aware of that, but this is America and that is how it is spelled here, really doesn't matter. Since I don't speak Hebrew I do not have the accent. My two grandchildren are going to Hebrew school now and they do very well with the pronunciation, when you are eight and ten years old it is very easy.

Shalom

Really isnt that hard to pronounce. Anybody can pick it up. I did!

But ya the conventional western way of spelling it is with a heh. The chet sound is foreign to western ears, and some probably find it ugly. In Hebrew, Chet is the 8th letter, so its apt that Chaunukah start with it.
edit on 1-12-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Happy Holidays to you dontreally, thank you for sharing what is a special to you.
I love the Christmas season even though I don't celebrate it, it brings out the best in people.

This may not be the best year for many who are still out of work, but hopefully they can go back to the basics like it was a long time ago, love, family and friends are important now and always.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Chag Sameach

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Happy Holidays to you dontreally, thank you for sharing what is a special to you.
I love the Christmas season even though I don't celebrate it, it brings out the best in people.

This may not be the best year for many who are still out of work, but hopefully they can go back to the basics like it was a long time ago, love, family and friends are important now and always.

I totally disagree with the esoteric message of christmas, but this time of the year is very special. Optimal for reflection and appreciating all the good weve been blessed with. Paradoxically in western culture this has turned into a present fest where kids look more forward to presents than the thought of the time. Dont think its true? Imagine not being given the presents people expect. I wonder if the 'cheer' of the holiday would still be present. Im not against present giving, but it has to be understood in a certain context. And many christians and Jews dont get that. Their spiritual connection to the holiday has become trivialized, and its sad, because the real truth and value of this time is spiritual, and not physical. The physical presents may be given to supplement the spiritual enjoyment, but really it shouldnt matter; presents or no presents. This time of the year is THE gift G-d has given us to connect with him and experience and enjoy a very special level of spiritual awareness.

Aside from that, i do admit i like christmas songs. Its funny. Ive rejected the christian tradition, yet i still connect with a very important and young part of myself, partly due to the songs of the christmas season; particularly kenny rogers..lol. Even though half the songs have to do with the little baby Jesus... I sorta ignore the message, and appreciate the peaceful melody..

Thanks for this thread. Its reminded me of the importance of Haunukah. I knew today was haunkah, but i was feeling lacadaisical about it. Im not Jewish and i dont live in a Jewish community so its hard sometimes to keep enthusiastic about these important times. I should really spend an hour at midnight, like i did last year, pouring my heart out to G-d and addressing some my spritual self. The last 5 months have been unbelievably good for me, and i have so much to be greatful for.

Shalom and chag sameach,.

Btw, are you Jewish? Or did one of your children marry a Jew?
edit on 1-12-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Yes I am Jewish, my oldest daughter married a Jew and they are semi-religeous, my other daughter married a non-Jew, they are expecting their first child in April, they do not follow any religeon but will be interested to see what happens once my granddaughter is born. My youngest and a son is 35 and I don't mention religeon to him or marriage. LOL

You will be very welcome in any Temple, you should go one day. The services are amazing. I don't go to Temple often unless it's a wedding, Bar Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah, with my two grandchildren going to Hebrew school now and preparing for thier Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah I will certainly be going to that, but since it is when they are thirteen it's a few years off.

It is sad what Christmas has become, as you know there are small gifts given for each day of Hanukkah but most families do not make a big deal.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
thats nice good for you jews celebrating hannukah (:
merry hannukah to you then

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Odd that you included all that info from Wiki, but completely failed to explain the miracle of God behind the custom of celebrating for 8 days and nights.

However, Happy Hanukkah!!!
edit on 2-12-2010 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

top topics

join