It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

incredible video/audios from two centuries back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I know your probably thinking `two centuries back dont have a laugh`, but its true.. we are in the 2010s, and these things are from the 1800s, two centuries ago!

first of all, florence nightingale speaking...
the famous florence nightingale

one of the first ever films made
leeds, yorkshire in 1888 (122 years old)

brighton beach 1896 - 1889

and finally, instead of including more tidbits from the 1800s, i decided to skip a couple of years and include this extremely clear footage of new york - 1901 - almost 110 years ago!

some of these people could have died over a century ago, it really makes you realise how short life is, to think that all of these people have had their lives and long since passed on, forgotten about forever.. it really makes you think twice about how we waste our lives now worrying about ridiculous things, hating one another, when in 100 years from now, what will it matter? nothing.. .. if the world is still around, we`ll be viewed how we view the above films, as simply faces from a long gone era...

edit on 1-12-2010 by rabbigoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
by the way if its in the wrong section i apologise i didnt know where it would fit in

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing those. It sure has come a long way since then.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

Very nice videos 100 years old and still better quality than almost every UFO vid out there

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It occurs to me that these films, only 110 years old, represent a "starting point" for the modern technological age. The ability to record, save, and retransmit data is the cornerstone of the computer age.

However, in the short 110 years, look at what has happened. The explanations for this are interesting to consider. For example, are we different creatures than we were just a few hundred years ago? Was there some viral infection that altered our DNA slightly, allowing for use of our minds in a new way?

The time line just doesn't make sense. We were around for the last hundred thousand years or so as hunter/gatherers. Then all of a sudden, we are told, 5000 years ago we just decided to live in groups and make cities and plant crops.

Now, all of a sudden, 100 years ago we decided to create a technological civilization that creates wonders that can only be described as magical.

My youngest son and I talk a lot about things like what it was like before the internet. He cannot even comprehend it (he is 12). He is completely shocked that I was around, playing on the first home computers, when MS and Apple were just being launched.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Lovely clips thanks for sharing

I restore old photographs and some of the old Daguerreotype's from the 1850's are amazing to work on, you get really up close and personal if your scanning them and working on them.

There's a photograph of Robert Cornelius (a chemist) which is the first ever portrait of a human taken in 1839 (it was a self portrait). He was born in 1809 so bang in the middle of the Napoleonic wars! There is also a picture of "Boulevard du Temple" in Paris taken in 1838, there would of been people living in that Boulevard that actually saw the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror in 1793/4.

History of Photography

edit on 1-12-2010 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wow, incredible footage.

I love the NewYork one for its clarity.

I laughed at the lady at 1.10 doing the Maralyne Monroe over the grate.

Wouldn't it be strange to see someone who looked identicle to yourself in footage like that?

(apart from the clothes and hairstyle)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
These aren't from two centuries ago. These are from a little over one century ago.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
These aren't from two centuries ago. These are from a little over one century ago.

The OP may have made an error in his/her calculations but these clips are still amazing for the time they were made ... strikes me you just wanted to be pedantic because you appear to have forgotten to comment on the clip contents (that's quite sad really)

Absolutely love the last film OP ... what a 'floozy' that woman was showing her ankles in public like that !

Woody

edit on 1-12-2010 by woodwytch because: edit to add comment;

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
It occurs to me that these films, only 110 years old, represent a "starting point" for the modern technological age. The ability to record, save, and retransmit data is the cornerstone of the computer age.

However, in the short 110 years, look at what has happened. The explanations for this are interesting to consider. For example, are we different creatures than we were just a few hundred years ago? Was there some viral infection that altered our DNA slightly, allowing for use of our minds in a new way?

The time line just doesn't make sense. We were around for the last hundred thousand years or so as hunter/gatherers. Then all of a sudden, we are told, 5000 years ago we just decided to live in groups and make cities and plant crops.

Now, all of a sudden, 100 years ago we decided to create a technological civilization that creates wonders that can only be described as magical.

My youngest son and I talk a lot about things like what it was like before the internet. He cannot even comprehend it (he is 12). He is completely shocked that I was around, playing on the first home computers, when MS and Apple were just being launched.

to be honest, every few thousand years a civilisation comes along be it sumerians, egyptians, mayans, what have you.. and for some reason, the knowledge and technology goes literally from z to a within a century.. its hapened many times before, and is a good reason im convinced ets are involved

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tlasalt

Very nice videos 100 years old and still better quality than almost every UFO vid out there

wow that is so true! ive said it before.. how come if you look up on youtube a video of ANYTHING, from a baby on the toilet, to a man falling off a bike to a storm, to a football match, to a metorite.. itll all be there in anything from hd to decent colour, but when it comes ot a ufo, they are ALMOST ALWAYS blurry out of focus!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rabbigoldstein

Originally posted by tlasalt

wow that is so true! ive said it before.. how come if you look up on youtube a video of ANYTHING, from a baby on the toilet, to a man falling off a bike to a storm, to a football match, to a metorite.. itll all be there in anything from hd to decent colour, but when it comes ot a ufo, they are ALMOST ALWAYS blurry out of focus!

What I always find facinating is the topics of the first films [c1890s] by a local guy to me George Albert Smith

One of his first movies was of photgraphers trying to take pictures of Ghosts and failing..

Photographing a Ghost (1898)
www.imdb.com...

Others called kiss in the tunnel (1899) and As Seen Through a Telescope (1900) are more along the lines of a peeping tom movie

All kinda shows me that we humans have changed very little..
edit on 1/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: dashed typos

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

ETs may be a good assessment. Then again...

But i find it interesting to think of more mundane causes. This thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

addresses the concept of retroviruses that literally change the way people think. Of course, it deals with schizophrenia. But the idea is there: viruses can infect us, change our DNA, and create a new function within the human organism.

Utterly fascinating. The breakthroughs that happened shortly after the plague. And the literal explosion post 1912 flu epidemic.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Thank you for bringing these clips to us, the New York clip is amazing, like another poster mentioned I immediately thought of Marilyn Monroe, loved how they both laughed.

Shalom

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Somewhere round here is a thread about a cat virus that makes people like cats
and changes the infected humans behavior towards them.
so BFT, you might be on to something
to add to that
I think little inventions create plateaus too
like the invention of the wheel
the invention of the printing press
the invention of the Gun
etc

Ps year 2000s
year 1800's
why pick nits?
thanks for the thread
I found it worth the time

The use of the smallpox virus on the indigenous population in the Americas
freed up a lot of resources
Which fueled the expansion of the western industrialsts...by leaps and bounds
Wars for resources creates demand and the resulting science is fueled by the resources

a self perpetuating feed back loop

edit on 1-12-2010 by Danbones because: ps

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Great...now I'm stuck on youtube time-traveling all morning

I'm a shooter/editor so early films/media have always had a immersive and hypnotic effect on me. Funny how they affect us so. Okay, in honor of ATS, & this cool OP, the first science fiction film Georges Méliès 'Le Voyage dans la lune' or A Trip to the Moon - 1902

And another titled "Oldest photographs in the world"

Fun OP S&F
edit on 1-12-2010 by The GUT because: linky fixy

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

No, I'm not trying to be pedantic. I'm being frustrated that I was expecting some big discovery/reveal about technology coming abouit earlier than we thought, considering that this is in the "ancient and lost civilizations" forum. Yeah, they're awesomce clips -- but they're nothing new (hehehe, or as old as suggested!) and they're in completely the wrong board.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
even though your not physically time travelling, in a sense your looking back in time, as these are a capture of that moment in time hundreds of years ago...

i find this stuff really incredible

i am obsessed with the past/ not stuck in the past.. but obsessed with how people coped without the main stream media filth being thrown at them

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

i said two centuries back

and they are...

we are in the 2000s

1900s was last century
1800s was century before

this is going back 2 centuries

did i say `wow a full 200 / 2 centuries ago`? no i didnt

i stated 2 centuries ago

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Great...now I'm stuck on youtube time-traveling all morning

I'm a shooter/editor so early films/media have always had a immersive and hypnotic effect on me. Funny how they affect us so. Okay, in honor of ATS, & this cool OP, the first science fiction film Georges Méliès 'Le Voyage dans la lune' or A Trip to the Moon - 1902

And another titled "Oldest photographs in the world"

Fun OP S&F
edit on 1-12-2010 by The GUT because: linky fixy

wow i love how they imagined the movie as being!

a 3 year old could draw a better background pic nowadays

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join