It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Checkwinonline? Possible malware while browsing ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
About 30 minutes ago, while reading SkepticOverlord's post on Facebook widgets and the threat to personal computer security, my window simply took me to a new page checkwinonline.com.

I dont know if this was from the forum here, but I did not have any other windows open at all, not even my music player (which is odd for me).

It struck me as odd and possible malware, so I closed everything, ran a few malware detection programs and found nothing. I looked it up online and found it to be listed as a suspicious site.

here is a link to the google safe browsing page:
Google Safe Browsing
along with the content from safe browsing:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for checkwinonline.com
What is the current listing status for checkwinonline.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 3 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-11-29, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-11-29.
Malicious software includes 4 scripting exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 12 domain(s), including rltk.gen.in/, web-case.tk/, get-domain3.cz.cc/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS35415 (WEBAZILLA).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, checkwinonline.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Any ideas?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I got the same one two days ago. It's from one of the ads. I sent S.O. a U2U, so hopefully he can figure out how to fix it.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Thank you for your quick repsonse.
Perhaps I'll sent one as well in case the problem was already thought fixed.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I got some WIN Defrag Virus last night while browsing only this site, all of a sudden it popped up and shut my computer down, spent most of the night getting rid of it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Optix

havnt experienced anything like that in a long time
I do try to run a clean machine as much as I can help it.
Malwarebytes and McAfee's GetSusp run nearly every day.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I received the same security alert.

Just a few minutes ago.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Same here, yesterday. I just closed the window it "opened" before it finished. My Avast didn't even pop up at it. Reopened a new page and went back to my bizz.

Kinda ticked me off because I never have probs here.

Cuhail

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
my computer just about 10 min ago was not working right and google was going to southwest airlines when I opened a new browser thought it was just me.. I restarted and it's fine now...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I've caught a virus here before, ... so I know what you guys mean.

However expect the mods to soon swoop down and disspell any fears you have.

They'll say " its impossible " ats this, ats that.

but at the end of the day, ... its all about two words.

ad revenue.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
i just use NoScript with firefox, i dont get any popups or any scripts that can cause harm.

it takes a little work but it's worth it

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'd also like to add,

make sure you report any problems you feel you may be having with particular ads.

The owners are pretty good about responding to stuff, ... nobody wants malicious ads, its bad for business all around.

and it's kind of impossible to know if any ads are problematic until problems arise.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Happened to me last night also.

What's the scoop S.O.??

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
OK so I am not the only one here.
Someone above me stated it was from an ad, I never look at the ads, does anyone know which ad prompted this?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

checkwinonline is the ad in question. I never even saw it before the Google warning popped up.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I use linux, so Im reasonably okay.. but I went to page 2 of a thread day before yesterday and I got my warning page concerning it being a threat.. asked if I wanted to ignore. It was weird as Ive never had that happen every before anywhere else.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Someone above me stated it was from an ad, I never look at the ads, does anyone know which ad prompted this?

I never clicked an AD, it happened to me when I was scrolling down on a thread with the center wheel on my mouse.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

I never clicked an AD, it happened to me when I was scrolling down on a thread with the center wheel on my mouse.

Same here...just about four minutes ago. There is definately something wrong.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
We have a service that scans all of the ads for malware and so far we've had no reports. These things are incredibly difficult to find and remove, that's why we pay money for a service that scans the ads before they appear. Without knowing what ad, from which network it's almost impossible...

Most of the time what people are experiencing is a trojan that they received from an email (where 99.99% of all malware originates) that has been hiding in their system waiting for them to log onto a bookmarked site (like ATS) and then it does its dirty deeds, making it appear as though the site you're browsing infected you.

We'll notify our scanning service and have them do a manual search of all the ads running from all the nets today. They may get lucky and find it.

If anyone can remember what ads they saw on the page before it happened it would be a TREMENDOUS help.

Springer...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
this happened to me yesterday at home on my mac... and has happened a few other times while on this site. unfortunately, at work, we're on pc, and i think it messed up the 'puter - but don't tell my boss.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I've just finished a semi-manual scan (a PHP page that cycles through all available ads for ATS from all our networks) with a delay that would allow for a timed-redirect, and I can't reproduce this problem.

I've gone through both all North American and Euro ads.

I'm going to continue checking on this end, but those who have experienced the problem should check their systems.

Keep in mind that getting malware from simply landing on a web page -- and taking no action such as clicking something -- is still such an exceptionally rare event as to be unlikely as the cause for something landing in your system. The most likely culprit is a malicious payload obtained via a spam email, which is triggered by a companion ad in one of the ad networks (an increasingly common 1-2 tactic).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join