It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smithsonian to Remove Ant-Covered Jesus on Cross

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The Smithsonian Institution's National Portrait Gallery will remove a four-minute video feature that contains an image of Jesus on a crucifix covered in ants, its director said in a statement released on Tuesday.

"I regret that some reports about the exhibit have created an impression that the video is intentionally sacrilegious," the statement read. "In fact, the artist's intention was to depict the suffering of an AIDS victim. It was not the museum's intention to offend. We are removing the video today. The museum's statement at the exhibition's entrance, 'This exhibition contains mature themes,' will remain in place."

Many of the more conservative among us believe that this video titled A Fire in My Belly, which is part of a larger exhibit called Hide/Seek is a misuse of tax-payer dollars and should be investigated.

According to Smithsonian spokesperson, while the museum does receive funding from Congress, the exhibits are funded through Private donation.

“Absolutely, we should look at their funds,” Georgia Rep. Jack Kingston, a member of the House Appropriations Committee, told Fox News.

However, I think it's possible that this particular piece, due to it's offensiveness, is being targeted by those who seek to define what Art is and what may displayed to the public.

What do you all think? Is this free artistic expression that should be protected, or is it out of line and in need of censorship? What is the Smithsonian's responsibility to the public, in such matters of debate?

Here is the still-shot:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ae8c53b6cd8.jpg[/atsimg]

FOXnews story

CNSnews story

edit on 30-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: add link

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hide/Seek - Difference and Desire in American Portraiture

Excerpt from the description:

Curator David C. Ward discusses this first major museum exhibition to focus on sexual difference in the making of modern American portraiture. "Hide/Seek" considers such themes as the role of sexual difference in depicting modern America; how artists explored the fluidity of sexuality and gender; how major themes in modern art—especially abstraction—were influenced by social marginalization; and how art reflected society's evolving and changing attitudes toward sexuality, desire, and romantic attachment.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
From the Catholic League - exhibit is Hate speech?

Catholic League President Bill Donohue told Fox that the exhibit was hate speech. "What concerns me," he said, "is that the government is underwriting this assault on Christian sensibilities calculated to offend during the Christmas season."

NYDailynews

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
S & F

Great thread.

top topics

join