It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks under powerful cyber attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

WikiLeaks under powerful cyber attack

ca.news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The WikiLeaks website said it came under a forceful Internet-based attack Tuesday morning, making it inaccessible for hours to users in Europe and the United States.

The site appears to have recovered from the attack with the help of Amazon.com Inc.'s U.S.-based server-for-rent service.

Late Tuesday morning, web traffic to the site was handled by Amazon Web Services.

The site, which distributed a trove of U.S. diplomatic documents Sunday, said in a Twitter message that it was under a "distributed denial of service attack," a method commonly used by hackers to slow
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wikileaks - First Leaks Revealed
China Blocks Access to WikiLeaks
Exclusive: WikiLeaks Will Unveil Major Bank Scandal
Iran: WikiLeaks release highly dubious

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Looks like we are at war here, on one end it may be like some sort of rogue group like 4Chan's anonymous but on another end it may be a group hired from a government to stop the links.

But we won't really know for sure who did the cyber attack unless Wikileaks looks at the IP addresses of the hackers.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Sky are just reporting breaking news that the US state department has "cut off the database of cables from one classified government network".

Not sure exactly what that means, so if anyone can clarify to a non techy person i'd be most gratefull.

CX.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I don't really know what they would get for hacking their internet server..
Unless wikileaks are dumb enough to put all their documents on their server. Which I don't think they would, that would just be total madness.

Remember, Julian is a old school hacker too. He knows a thing or two.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Sky are just reporting breaking news that the US state department has "cut off the database of cables from one classified government network".

Not sure exactly what that means, so if anyone can clarify to a non techy person i'd be most gratefull.

CX.

CX,

I suspect it means that if you work for a government agency, which usually benefits from internet access, you will find any attempt to see these cables to be futile.

Ultimately, it is only an irritant.

Once let out of the bottle, infrmation cannot be "re-secretized" except via after-the-fact criminalization... but then... that would be in-your-face Orwellian, no?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Maybe they mean where the cables came from to prevent anymore leaks?
Depends on if they are talking about the leaked cables or cables in general.

I did see that they are starting a new system where flags go up when there is unusual activity going on. Like there are alerts when people copy massive amounts of info. Seems like they would already have that system in place or would make it that certain info requires a key from someone else. I dunno.

CX

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Thank you for the replies.

Sky is now reporting that the US has cut off the lilitary SIPRNET network as it is the alleged source of the Wikileaks cables.

Ok, i'll hand this over to the techies here to explain this one.

Does that mean they cut off an entire network? Do they mean the ENTIRE thing?

How different is that to the internet we know and use?

Does this mean that they could indeed cut parts of the internet as easy?

CX.
edit on 30/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Yah Hey!,gotta keep anything resembling the truth from getting out.

Signed:
-U.S. Gubmint Corporation.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
any idiot can dos a site. it is neither powerful nor complex.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The state department just made it so you can't access their diplomatic cable database from the SIPRNET. The network is still there, the two have just been gapped.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Yea networks are hard to take down I am a techie myself, but I would say the way the network is set up, is the way it is like if it is in a certain configuration, then all the PCs will be shot down.

It also seems North American news is reported differently than Sky news. Canada / US say one thing and the UK says another.

top topics

join