It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

celebs stop using social networking until fans donate $1million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I saw this on the news and it kind of irritated me. These "celebs" are refusing to tweet and use FB until fans donate $1 million dollars for AIDS charity. Now, do they not realize that the fans aren't loaded with money coming out their rear like they are? Why don't they donate this money? Why do the fans have to do it? I could careless about twitter or any of these ego inflated "celebs" but this is just stupid. To me they are bullying fans into donating because you know there will be those who will have a heart attack if their favorite celeb just stops tweeting and using FB. Oh and GaGa is the top one who is doing this. If these celebs want to help they should give up their own money! I refuse to donate to anything. The money never goes where it should anyway, just look at Haiti.

Am I the only one slightly irritated at this? I am all for helping others but pushing your fans into donating is NOT cool.

That day is World AIDS Day, and each of these people (as well as a host of others — the list keeps growing) will sacrifice his or her own digital life. By which these celebrities mean they will stop communicating via Twitter and Facebook. They will not be resuscitated, they say, until their fans donate $1 million.

source

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah, it's pretty stupid on many levels.

Level one, the controversy of aids.

Level two, the controversy of social networking.

And three, the obvious fact that nobody could care less if an actor uses facebook or twitter, expect diehard fans.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

These celebs make me sick... Why don't they donate some of their millions for this cause... We should counteract by boycotting their records, movies, books etc until this money is raised...
Anyway, who really cares what these
People have to say on twitter... Most of them
Don't live in the real world anyway... I think it's a good thing if they stopped, maybe people wouldn't waste their time on this crap and find something constructive to do instead...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
That is ridiculous. They could donate that money themselves in a heartbeat without having to think twice or worrying about affording dinner for the rest of the week. I'm all for fundraising and helping those in need, but this is the silliest ploy I've heard in a long while for trying to raise money. Who cares if they stop tweeting?! The only people who would probably care is teenagers or kids, who incidentally probably do not have money available to donate to anything...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Lady Gaga could get rid of one of her trillion tour buses and easily pay the amount herself. Do they even say something like they would match the donation? Now if fans donated $1 million, and every celeb said they would match that a million dollars, now that might be worth something.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I agree but the sad thing is hardcore fans will donate so they can see their useless tweets and FB updates. I dont pay attention to celebs but this was on the news and I wanted to toss my coffee at them lol

They can AFFORD to donate this money. If AIDS research is so important to them, they give up the money yourself. Why basically bully your hard working fans into it?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I havent seen anything where they would match it. I mean $1 Million dollars is nothing to these people. I don't like how celebs manipulate fans into donating to their charities. Look at Haiti, where is ALL that money that was raised? They shouldnt be dealing with cholera and all the other horrid stuff there right now. MILLIONS were made yet nobody is seeing any of the benefits there. It's really sad. If I donate, I donate in person or help people myself. I dont trust charities, they are scams imo. That money never seems to make it to where it should.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

and theres also the major factor, that the celebs have more money than most of us! I wonder how they would react if we refused to acknowledge/care about their silly social networks till they paid a million: Each.

edit on 29/11/10 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Heh. These self-absorbed "stars" continue to amuse lil ole nobody me.

Like I pay any attention to what they might do off screen or out of the recording studio.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
can we pay a million dollars to make THESE people go away, some of these poeple have their head so far up their own @ss it's ridiculous, how about these people shut up and start using their money and influence for some real change

these people make millions each year and give back .00001% and act like they deserve a nobel prize or something

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

Heh. These self-absorbed "stars" continue to amuse lil ole nobody me.

Like I pay any attention to what they might do off screen or out of the recording studio.

Then why come in here? Nobody asked if you cared. Why go in a thread if you dont care about it? I dont care about them either but I think they what are doing is wrong.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
anybody want to start the "make sure $1million is not raised so they never come back campaign" ?

infact we can take this a step further and remind them who made them celebs to begin with, and boycott all their stuff.

edit on 29-11-2010 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Too bad people can't agree to ignore EACH AND EVERY ONE of these worthless entertainers and allow them to sink into an abyss of "being normal".

As long as humans worship these disgusting individuals and see them as "stars", we will continue to be forced to listen to them make demands, talk politics, act important, and watch them make more money then entire third world countries.

They want 1 million dollars or they stop tweeting?

Funny...

I want them all fired and sent to work for Wal-mart or Mcdonalds.

People's worshipping of the media needs to stop...these people are sick, worthless, warping the minds of society, and turning the "average Joe" in to a mentally retarded zealot.

MM

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
More fool the fans who pay. That is what is ridiculous - and this whole celebrity thing altogether. It's just one more mind control stint and sadly, the masses still buy into it hook line and sinker.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
anybody want to start the "make sure $1million is not raised so they never come back campaign" ?

infact we can take this a step further and remind them who made them celebs to begin with, and boycott all their stuff.

Oh I am all for that one! I will donate then! LOL

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

I'm all for that - in fact I would donate to make them disappear for ever...just another bunch of Illuminati controlled, psyops tools and parasites to boot.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Too bad people can't agree to ignore EACH AND EVERY ONE of these worthless entertainers and allow them to sink into an abyss of "being normal".

As long as humans worship these disgusting individuals and see them as "stars", we will continue to be forced to listen to them make demands, talk politics, act important, and watch them make more money then entire third world countries.

They want 1 million dollars or they stop tweeting?

Funny...

I want them all fired and sent to work for Wal-mart or Mcdonalds.

People's worshipping of the media needs to stop...these people are sick, worthless, warping the minds of society, and turning the "average Joe" in to a mentally retarded zealot.

MM

Agreed!!

It amazes me how people think these people matter. What have they done for society? NOTHING. I have never really been into celebs, I think they are over paid spoiled brats, same with sports stars. They all get paid way too much money and do nothing but complain. They appreciate nothing.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by SpaceJ

I havent seen anything where they would match it. I mean $1 Million dollars is nothing to these people. I don't like how celebs manipulate fans into donating to their charities. Look at Haiti, where is ALL that money that was raised? They shouldnt be dealing with cholera and all the other horrid stuff there right now. MILLIONS were made yet nobody is seeing any of the benefits there. It's really sad. If I donate, I donate in person or help people myself. I dont trust charities, they are scams imo. That money never seems to make it to where it should.

Re the Haiti money - this website gives some details on where the money actually went.
www.haitian-truth.org...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
this is hilerious. they need to pull there heads out of 'where the sun dont shine' and get lives instead of wasting there so called precious time on facebook and twitter anyway. In saying this though its kinda sad that some people will actually find this threatening and donate

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I would agree to donate if each and every one of them agreed to go away and not be heard from again. I imagine a world of greatness without the ego driven nut cases such as movie stars, sports idols, and their musical counterparts. In most cases each and every one of them get paid far too much for doing nothing great for society.

Why can those who truly do help society not get the sort of attention and pay these attention whores do?

Raist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join