It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks starting to smell funny

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I take it you don't work in Intel like secret squirrel.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67f40cef7b4c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

HAH.. nope. Im merely the darned near computer-illiterate spouse of a DOD worker and even **I** know whats up with that.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Ah, that explains the NIPR statement.

NIPR is the main DOD network. Anyone with a CAC card, proper certificates, login and up to date information certification has access. We require all personnel at my unit to have access to get on the branch portal, mypay, use their .mil email, etc.

SIPR is completely different. Secret clearance is required and an occupation requirement. Has nothing to do with rank.

JWICS is special for special people.

I work with GCCS.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Tons of people have access to SIPRNET.

tons & dozens of people have had access to Internet, but it doesn't mean they can come in your computer
secure network means info from the Bob, sent to the Alice, can be intercepted through net, but cannot be read by someone apart from honey Alice
you must have physical access to machine of Bob or Alice for getting the sent letter

edit on 30-11-2010 by SarK0Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well I asked why INTERPOL was not breathing Assange scrawny little neck back on page 5 of this thread and now I got my wish.

www.interpol.int...

Looks like they want to make the sex crimes/rape charges stick while they search for more avenues to keep him in the clink for good. The rape charges will hopefully keep him in one place long enough to grab him later on stronger charges. Switzerland won't take him. Australia wants him. The US wants him. Ecuador is opening their arms to him. Go figure. Better grab his greasy neck while they can.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Ah, that explains the NIPR statement.

NIPR is the main DOD network. Anyone with a CAC card, proper certificates, login and up to date information certification has access. We require all personnel at my unit to have access to get on the branch portal, mypay, use their .mil email, etc.

SIPR is completely different. Secret clearance is required and an occupation requirement. Has nothing to do with rank.

JWICS is special for special people.

I work with GCCS.

Yeah, hubby worked with sipr for abotu 10 years before his last promotion and all he needed was a password and username . No CAC. CAC was used with Nipr. Also, civ and contractors used both networks..
He works with jwics now with some kind of thing where he goes to Langley and Lackland once a month... but we had to move to Illinois.. wtf is up with this.. LOL! I HATE illinois!

ANYWAY I argued with a super secret wonderful ex AF somebody on another thread about the Manning boy being a PFC having NOTHING to do with access... its all in job description and even a civ contractor can access it. IMO someone didnt security patch it or didnt do it correctly because there is a super simple security prgthat prevents anything from being sent to thumb drive or CD.. and yes.. many of the nipr and sipr computers at bases all over have both and they arent the "kiosk" style one guy spoke of.

edit on 30-11-2010 by Advantage because: Goofed up my info.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I work with GCCS.

GLobal command and control system? Hubby told me
A civ worker we know works with JWICS with ACFP. Not overly special

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Compared to most service members, civies, and contractors, top secret is fairly special.

Special can be tedious and boring though.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Before I get off of here, I really felt the need to say Im not being an ass .. promise
We've been involved with the DOD for well over 20 years and so much disinformation is passed on here concerning so much. I see a lot of new sign ups that may be truly frightened by the things in the wikileaks and then read false information here. Its just wrong.. and yes, there is a lot of bad voodoo going down, but lets not make it more of a chicken little situation than it has to be. So much of the info released by wiki was already in the MSM and not classified.. so much of it is simply stupid.. but people still read a lot into things that dont need to be there. If you have to read this stolen classified information.. be rational and find out the truth about things first.

Hell, dont even take my word for it.. ask someone in the military you know, look it up. whatever.. just dont allow yourself to be spoon fed.

There are NO clean hands in any of this stuff. No one, no country, nada. Its the way of this world and it must be a rude awakening to some. Frightening to some. I know I was not overly pleased when I woke up to it....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Compared to most service members, civies, and contractors, top secret is fairly special.

Special can be tedious and boring though.

HAH! Well, he isnt unspecial..he is just not as special as he could be. I'll confess I called him an unspecial civ this weekend.
We've found that within the mil and dod.. ANYTHING that comes with a snappy name that MAY be a little special usually means more crappy work and not a substantial pay raise.

Speaking of TS.. there is a new thing I learned form a guy we met. there is an additional clearance on top of TS that has to do with nuke energy through the Dept of Energy! Thats just... UBER-SPECIAL! Its something like an X clearance or some silly junk.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

DOE has Q and L clearances, but has special access/compartmented clearance related to SIGMA material. I would guess that was the "X".

SCI/SAP clearances, are technically higher than TS too.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

DOE has Q and L clearances, but has special access/compartmented clearance related to SIGMA material. I would guess that was the "X".

SCI/SAP clearances, are technically higher than TS too.

AHH yep, youre right! I knew about the scisap...

basically its all just a label for a job IMO. However, when you steal documents youre butt is in a sling. Im sure you know, but others may not.. you cant bring cell phones in at all in most areas. Especially ones with cameras

Its just my opinion.. but this Manning kid deserves what he gets and the dope who released them is NO freedom fighter.
Sure stinks of a controlled release as its covering the MSM and here.. when there have been a few VERY significant issues that happened in the last 48 hours concerning many things, but the TSA stuff in Fla is pretty darned startling. Now this BS is at the bus stations. Ive read 3 articles on the TSA making moves on te interstates as well. trying to get a hand in the radiation checks and the transport check points. For me, it kinds trumps Hilary's sad face over some stupid leaks.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Im sure you know, but others may not.. you cant bring cell phones in at all in most areas. Especially ones with cameras

you're Deviliciously right!
most machines of really classified info c*n't be accessible remotely
however, yes, theoretically secure network could be broken through by remote access, but that moments desperately need to've mathematical methods to solve async ciphers like RSA

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven
reply to post by dmefoc
The military doesn't slam someone if they aren't guilty in some way.

Not officially but it happens.

He may have been a spy or it could be that he's being charged with treason and he's just a disgruntled soldier.

His leaked IM logs would seem to support this.

Now, I've mentioned before and I'll mention again...the military is under STRICT orders not to visit the wikileaks website, ESPECIALLY on government computers. Well, you can't do it on a government PC AT ALL, because it is blocked, but they'll know you tried! Why is this so?

Much of the Afghan War Diary documentation used to be classified - SECRET, if I recall correctly. Putting classified material on an unclassified workstation constitutes spillage - security breach. The chain of command gets yanked (and hard), the box is disconnected and seized by cleared IT personnel, and an official inquiry is begun. It doesn't matter that whoever visited WL got it from WL, what they only care about is that it's classified material on an unclassified network.

Glad you asked...because one theory floating around the military community is that wikileaks can phish once you visit their site.

Doubtful. First they'd have to figure out how to forge an SSL certificate from the DoD CA... computationally speaking, there isn't much chance of that happening with current technology.

I believe this is how they got into the government mail and document storage system to begin with. Whether or not this is true, I don't know, but it is not only possible, but plausible that a simple PFC compromised the security of government computers.

Not all sysadmins know how to do their jobs. Some of them are downright craptastic at it.

If this isn't the case, I'll ask how they were able to trace all this back to him to begin with.

Again, see the leaked chat logs I linked to above. If you wade past the latest news articles on the diplomatic cables you'll find some older ones on their being compromised; older as in summer of 2010.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Absolutely. Nothing in government happens by accident.

Work for them sometime.

Julian is just one man, and he couldn't possibly be clever enough to maintain his
web-site and himself if TPTB ~really~ wanted him silenced...he'd be fish food if he
was truly a threat.

Actually, there is a team involved with WL. Check out some of the archived stuff at cryptome.org about WL. Also do your own research on them, there's a surprising amount of information out there. Including some video footage shot in New York in summer of 2010 that will probably give you a better understanding of what's afoot right now.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Having access to sipr doesnt mean access to nipr or jwics. How do I know.. 20+ years being involved.

Correct. Access to SIPRnet, NIPRnet, or JWICS is part of the answer the question "What do you need to do your duty?" (Or job, if you're a contractor.)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Yeah, hubby worked with sipr for abotu 10 years before his last promotion and all he needed was a password and username . No CAC. CAC was used with Nipr. Also, civ and contractors used both networks..

It's due to data contamination regulations. Because the CAC is a smartcard (meaning it can store and process information), you can't plug it into a classified system because that classification technically sticks to the CAC. Plus, the classified workstation will be considered contaminated with an external device.. IT'll be having a three-cup day if that happens.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DoubleNickels

Just a stupid question: classified workstations have a remote access?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarK0Y

Just a stupid question: classified workstations have a remote access?

SIPRnet - Secure Internet Protocol Router network. By definition, this means computers which are networked. If they're networked they can be remotely accessed, though not necessarily in the way you'd think. Also, networks larger than a couple of machines in size pretty much have to be centrally managed with software built along client/server lines, otherwise you'd need an army of admins to keep everything running. Again, this requires that the machines be networked. Do a bit of research on how site-to-site VPNs work and you'll be on the right track for how it works; the Wikipedia article probably gave a CI officer half a heart attack the first time it was read because it's more informative than the official FAQ.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

i said about security policy
most Law is there for classified workstations: one stationary machine can be managed only from another stationary machine & to admin classified network from home or whatever another location, except for classified places, ain't possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join