It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Hollywood predict (and depict) the Apollo 13 disaster a year before it happened?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I was just perusing my vast collection of vintage sci-fi movie trailers when I came across the following interesting item, which I have now uploaded to YouTube:

I couldn't help but notice the striking similarity to the 1995 film, Apollo 13. Thinking this earlier work might have taken its inspiration from the same real-life events, I looked it up on the Internet Movie Database. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the film was released on December 11, 1969, exactly four months prior to the launch of the Apollo 13 mission!

Marooned on IMDB

What immediately comes to mind is an assertion made by Mary Bennett and David Percy in their book, Dark Moon: Apollo and the Whistleblowers.

Bennett and Percy suggest that the Apollo 13 mishap may have actually been a staged event, designed with two goals in mind:

1) To stimulate further interest in the space program by presenting the public with a gripping, real-life drama.

and

2) To test and demonstrate NASA's ability to recover from, and respond to, a space emergency.

If Apollo 13 was a managed entertainment event, wouldn't it seem plausible that The Powers That Be might have first tested the waters with a Hollywood film?

I'm sure I don't need to remind you of similar weird coincidences, such as the episode of the TV series, The Lone Gunmen which depicted the World Trade Center being attacked with a hijacked plane well in advance of September 11, 2001.

Yes, I know this is all very far-fetched. Still, it's fun to think about.
edit on 27-11-2010 by flightsuit because: fixed typo

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by flightsuit
I was just perusing my vast collection of vintage sci-fi movie trailers when I came across the following interesting item, which I have no uploaded to YouTube:

I couldn't help but notice the striking similarity to the 1995 film, Apollo 13. Thinking this earlier work might have taken its inspiration from the same real-life events, I looked it up on the Internet Movie Database. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the film was released on December 11, 1969, exactly four months prior to the launch of the Apollo 13 mission!

Marooned on IMDB

What immediately comes to mind is an assertion made by Mary Bennett and David Percy in their book, Dark Moon: Apollo and the Whistleblowers.

Bennett and Percy suggest that the Apollo 13 mishap may have actually been a staged event, designed with two goals in mind:

1) To stimulate further interest in the space program by presenting the public with a gripping, real-life drama.

and

2) To test and demonstrate NASA's ability to recover from, and respond to, a space emergency.

If Apollo 13 was a managed entertainment event, wouldn't it seem plausible that The Powers That Be might have first tested the waters with a Hollywood film?

I'm sure I don't need to remind you of similar weird coincidences, such as the episode of the TV series, The Lone Gunmen which depicted the World Trade Center being attacked with a hijacked plane well in advance of September 11, 2001.

Yes, I know this is all very far-fetched. Still, it's fun to think about.

===========================================================================================

I couldn't help but notice the striking similarity to the 1995 film, Apollo 13. Thinking this earlier work might have taken its inspiration from the same real-life events,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
527> its called a Metmeanochi,its a word, phrase, sentence, lie, picture, movie, book ,if believed by what we have noticed ,from 400,000 to 400,000,000 people believing in it at the same time or has a credible amount of the same thoughts, then it will come into play in this realm of life ..."The big mind bang" of the exsistence to creation of the future.
=============================================================================================
look up the day after tommorow and the look at the tsunami after wards that killed some 250,people,after that katrina.==========================================================

look up the taking of pelmham 123 and see after that movie came out how many trains wrecked and killed people==========================================================================

look up star trek and how fast the cell phones came in play========================================

look at the movies 2012 and see how many earth quakes happed after that============================================================

The ones that i mentioned was the hardest ones we had to deal with i could go on forever in the 50s through 90s,those was the good old days before 'HD' CAME INTO PLAY !

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Are you suggesting that HD video intensifies the effect!?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Oops, I just realized the title of this thread is slightly misleading. Just to clarify: Though the film Marooned was released in 1969 and the Apollo 13 mission took place in 1970, the two events were separated by only four months. Four months to the day, I might add.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Are you suggesting that HD video intensifies the effect!?

My god,intensifys!
The speed of light is more like it!
We lost the "1999 the world would end in 2000" Metmeanochi,we lost really really bad, but it was our first 'TIME' Metmeanochi ever.

so hear we are minding our own business ,alarms went off, Denzel Washington john Travolta ,a taking of Pelham 123,it always showed the subway derailing.

527> so there going after the trains huh?
??> yep
527>you want this one>
??> yea ,i will go in for the bid in a couple of months.

???> WTF OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS COME HEAR QUICK, HURRY.

The film was originally scheduled to release on July 31, 2009, but the release was moved earlier to June 12.

Officials investigating Washington D.C.'s worst subway accident, which left at least nine dead, June 22: D.C. Fire and Emergency workers are seen at the site of a rush-hour collision between two Metro transit trains.
never before in the history of Washington dc has this ever happend,it took just 10 days for this to happen, we usually have a year to 2 years to prepare for the event.
Monday, July 20th 2009, 11:42 AM ... respond to victims of a light-rail train collision in San Francisco ... It was the fourth major subway or commuter rail

The June 22, 2009 Washington Metro train collision was a subway train-on-train collision between two ... the collision, firefighters and paramedics from District of Columbia ...
This was the first ever in Washington dc ..in the history, so here we are thinking ok, its over with, we lost but its over with.
Oh boy here we go, no way.

The 2009 Cairo train collision killed at least 50 people and injured 30 others on 24 October 2009.
The 2009 Romanian bus-train collision, happened on August 14, 2009 at 14:10pm in Romania. A bus and train hit each other. Thirteen people died.
December 22, 2009 - Eurostar back in service after 3-day suspension
December 21, 2009 - Zabreg, Croatia - 52 injured when train hits buffers
December 21, 2009 - Inquiry As Eurostar Meltdown Hits 55,000
Eurotunnel shuts down car service
December 20, 2009 - Rail link for Britain, Europe shut down indefinitely
50,000 travelers affected by Eurostar breakdowns
Armored Trains Return In Russia's War Against Terrorism
November 28, 2009 - Moscow, Russia - Deadly Russian Train Derailment 'Appears To Be Terrorism'
Second Bomb Blast At Russian Train Crash Site
Russia Train Crash Caused By A Bomb
Deadly Russian train derailment probed as terror act
Traces of explosives found at Russian train site
Russian train derails, dozens killed
Dozens Killed in Russia Train Derailment (video)
November 14, 2009 - Jaipur, India - Train Derailment In India Kills 9
November 9, 2009 - British-spies-help-prevent-al-Qaeda-inspired-attack-on-New-York-subway
November 4, 2009 - Amid strike, Philly commuter train catches fire
Rail worker killed in Philly on third day of strike
October 24, 2009 - Egypt - Police: Trains Collide Killing 25
October 23, 2009 - Mumbai, India - Pipeline falls on moving train; 2 killed, 11 injured
October 22, 2009 - Chicago, Illinois - Train derailment may cause evening rush hour delays
Delays continue on Metra line from South Loop derailment - Chicago ...
October 21, 2009 - Mathura, India - India trains collision kills 22
India Train Crash Kills 22 Near Taj Mahal
October 11, 2009 - Voronezh, Russia - Railway accident injury cases in west Russia rise to 88
October 6, 2009 - Madurai, India - Fatalities Reported in Explosion at Cholavandam Train Station
October 6, 2009 - Washington D.C. -Man Arrested Threatened To Blow Up Friendship Heights Metro Station
October 5, 2009 - Hua Hin, Thailand - Train Derails In Heavy Rain At Least 10 Dead, 88 Injured
September 22, 2009 - Feds Seek About A Dozen People In New York Terror Investigation
Authorities Eye Stadiums, Hotels, Storage Centers In Colorado Terror Plot Probe
Feds Warn NYC, Nation Transit Systems
September 22, 2009 - Terror Arrest Spark Gov't Warning On Mass Transit
September 21, 2009 - Romania - Romania suspects foul play in train derailing - 15 people injured
September 20, 2009 - Najibullah Zazi and 2 others arrested for false statements in terror probe
NYC Plot Suspect, 2 Others Arrested in Federal Terror Probe
September 18, 2009 - Mexico City, Mexico - Shooting In Mexico City Subway Kills At Least Two, Five Injured
September 18, 2009 - Target Of New York Subway Bomb Plot Probe Admits Terrorist Ties
September 16, 2009 - Boston, Massachusetts - Electrical Fires Shut Down Service On Two MBTA subway Lines Forcing Hundreds Of Passengers To Evacuate Trains
September 16, 2009 - FBI Unit Set For More Anti-Terror Raids In Queens; Fears Of Madrid-Style Subway Bombings
September 15, 2009 - Knoxville, Tennessee - Knoxville Holston River Railroad 5 car derailment - cars overturned leaking liquid ethanol evacuation of area due to flammability and vapors
September 15, 2009 - Boston, Massachusetts -
Bay Transportation Authority Train Strikes Barrier Coming Into Station - 15 to 20 people injured
September 07, 2009 - Rain floods Mexico City homes, subway
August 30, 2009 - Yaounde, Cameroon — Cameroon train crashes kill 11, injures 275+
July 26, 2009 - Djibouti, Africa - Freight Train Transporting Livestock Derails Near Holl-Holl, Killing 13 People, Wounding 24 Others
July 26, 2009 - Star, Mississippi - 3 Injured When Train Collides With 18-Wheeler
July 25, 2009 - Tehran, Iran - Passenger Train Collides With Another Train Killing Three
July 24, 2009 - Croatia, Split - Croatian Passenger Train Derails Near Split, Killing Six, Injuring 55
Two-Car Train Carrying 90 Passengers Derails
July 22, 2009 - Feds: Man gave al-Qaida NYC transit info
July 18, 2009 - San Francisco, California - Dozens injured in San Francisco when two light rail cars collide
Probe begins in Calif. rail crash that hurt dozens
44 Injured In San Francisco Light Rail Crash
July 12, 2009 - New Delhi, India - 3 Killed, 16 injured workers in metro rail bridge collapse
July 9, 2009 - Detroit, Michigan (Canton Twp) - 5 Teens Die in Train-Car Collision near Detroit
5 teens killed trying to beat Amtrak train at Canton Twp. crossing
July 9, 2009 - Guttenberg, Iowa - Train derailment causes fuel and oil spill; four engines partially submerged losing diesel fuel and transmission oil - KWWL.com
NTSB: No mechanical problems in Disney monorail
Disney Monorail Errors Investigated
June 30, 2009 - Viareggio, Italy - Italy train explosion toll up to 15
Gas train explosion kills 13 in northern Italy -
Video
June 27, 2009 - Wadhurst, Netherlands - Seven people injured when train carrying 200 passengers hits empty bus.
June 26, 2009 - Madrid, Spain - Commuter Trains Carrying 1200 Passengers Collide - 50 Injured
June 22, 2009 - Washington D.C. - Metro Red Line - Worst D.C. Metro Crash in History -
Washington subway crash kills 9, dozens injured
Pictures Washington D.C. Metro Collision
KTXL FOX40 News (FOX40) on Twitter (live coverage)
Video
Washington subway urged to upgrade before crash
Metro Accident: D.C. Train Passenger Tells of Heroism After Horror
Two killed, 55 injured in Washington DC subway crash
Commuter trains collide near D.C.
June 20, 2009 - Rockford, Ill - 1 dead in Illinois train derailment explosion - "five of the 12 ethanol tanker
cars that had caught fire were still ablaze."
June 19, 2009 - Rockford, Illinois - Ethanol-laden 114-car Canadian National Railway cargo train derails causing explosion; at least 1 dead and 3 injured, 600 homes evacuated .
=============================================================================================

So now we act really quickly now,that HD BS is nothing to play with.

i could go on but i don’t want to make your thread ugly with all this long stuff, but yea-

The DTV Delay Act changed the mandatory analog cutoff date to June 12 2009, although stations were permitted to cease analog transmissions before the new mandatory cutoff date.

The DTV Delay Act changed the mandatory analog cutoff date to June 12 2009, although stations were permitted to cease analog transmissions before the new mandatory cutoff date.

Officials investigating Washington D.C.'s worst subway accident, which left at least nine dead, June 22:

The film was originally scheduled to release on July 31, 2009, but the release was moved earlier to June 12.

Officials investigating Washington D.C.'s worst subway accident, which left at least nine dead,June 22:

June 19, 2009 - Rockford, Illinois - Ethanol-laden 114-car Canadian National Railway cargo train derails causing explosion; at least 1 dead and 3 injured, 600 homes evacuated .

June 20, 2009 - Rockford, Ill - 1 dead in Illinois train derailment explosion - "five of the 12 ethanol tanker
June 26, 2009 - Madrid, Spain - Commuter Trains Carrying 1200 Passengers Collide - 50 Injured

All we could DO is look at this... WE REALLY GOT OUR BEHINDS WHIPPED!
We lost BIG Time,out of over 5000 metmeanochis in the last 40 years we concurred, and have identified as being threats, we lost the 'Time' metmeanochi because we didn’t NO the rules on specified 'Dates and Times' of metmeanochis, SO IT WAS NEW AND WE ADJUSTED.

'HD' is something not of the natural, its very alienish if you ask me.

edit on 27-11-2010 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Are you aware that The Taking of Pelham 123 is a remake of a 1974 film?

www.imdb.com...

Was there a sudden rash of commuter train disasters after the film's 1974 release?

Let me guess: The original film caused fewer disasters because people couldn't watch it on high-definition televisions.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Are you aware that The Taking of Pelham 123 is a remake of a 1974 film?

www.imdb.com...

Was there a sudden rash of commuter train disasters after the film's 1974 release?

Let me guess: The original film caused fewer disasters because people couldn't watch it on high-definition televisions.

It was old, and it wasn’t in tuned to TV at the time, the TV producers wasn’t manipulated yet and they just dealt in books and learning from how the prophets did it back then, how such prophets as nostrodummy could cast a spell back then, and by millions believing it now, will ultimately cause a "big mind bang'.

edit on 27-11-2010 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

You forgot Deep impact and Armageddon and all the meteo.....oh never mind...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

You forgot Deep impact and Armageddon and all the meteo.....oh never mind...

They only experiment on the little things of major disasters inside the earth they cant go out side the earth.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

I really don't think the movie "Marooned" was some sort of prediction of the Apollo 13 situation. Given that Martin Caidin wrote his novel "Marooned", which was the basis for the film, in 1964, I think it much more likely that the early popularity of the Apollo project, and the space program in general, convinced Hollywood that they could make money from a disaster film set in space. Luckily for all concerned, they at least picked a good book by a solid writer to base it on.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Brother Stormhammer, I hadn't been aware that Marooned was a book adaptation. Good to know.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think there's quite a bit of truth in many of these events being preluded by works of fiction just to test the water.

Whether they use others ideas for their events or someone creates one to match it is something we can only speculate. I think most of the slimleballs of TPTB have limited imaginations and so must hatch their dastardly plans from seeds sown by those with genuine talent.

You just can't trust anyone and all the confusion just helps to cover "their" asses.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Answer to the question, "Did Hollywood predict...."

NO!

Anyone who knows anything about the Hollywood "process", and how films get "green-lighted" knows better. There is always a 'thirst' for something new, in terms of plot and story (although, there is a formula that is usually never much different, from film to film...certain elements of Humanity, struggle, emotion, that sort of thing...conflict....or else, there's no "story" at all).

Oh, and David Percy, and that woman (forget her name as I write this post), and their crap book???

Percy is a moron, you can see it in the video clips excerpted from that film he's in....not sure if it was Bart Sibrel's film (another idiot) or some other production. They (all of them) make claims based on ignorant misunderstandings of science in general, and the space program in particular.

A whole thread could be devoted to picking them apart, point-by-point, and deflating that blow-dried helmet-headed hairdo of Percy's.

Two of the Apollo 13 Astronauts are still alive. Commander Lovell, and Haise. Swigert died of bone cancer, 1983. Ask them if the mission disaster was "staged" or "planned"!

You should look for, and read the book "Lost Moon", written by Jim Lovell (with help by author/writer Jeffrey Kluger). It chronicles the mission, from his perspective.
www.amazon.com...

There is NO indication of any "pre-planned failures", nor did the subsequent investigations show any such thing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the type of charlatan David Percy is, once you pay close attention. People like him, unfortunately, are far too prevalent, and will stop at nothing to make money, including lying and selectively twisting facts, in order to make a "claim" that has ZERO credibility in reality.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Weedwhacker, you're probably right. I would not, however, put David Percy in quite the same category as Bart Sibrel. Sibrel, of course, is one of those kooks who claims we never went to the moon, and we're all well aware of Sibrel's ridiculous, shameful tactics and his propensity for making a public spectacle of himself.

Percy and Sibrel have never collaborated on a documentary, as far as I know. Sibrel made a documentary (if you can call it that) entitled A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon, whereas the Percy's vastly superior (and much longer, at three hours and forty minutes) film is entitled What Happened on the Moon?

Unlike Sibrel, Percy has never claimed that we didn't go to the moon. He asserts, rather, that there were two parallel Apollo programs: One that was staged, and shown to the general public, but which never left low Earth orbit, and the "real" one, which did go to the moon, but which was not shown to us because of the high probability that it would be impossible to safely return the crew to Earth.

Yes, yes, it's all very far-fetched, but as I said in my OP, it is fun to think about.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I find this no more compelling than the similarities between the novel Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan and the actual disaster of the Titanic.

Source

There are numerous things that could go wrong and end up with the astronauts marooned in space, any similarities could easily be chalked up to coincidence however if you prefer to see conspiracy I see no way to rule it out as a possibility completely.

top topics

join