It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Gun Statistics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
According to the source (I say...OMG) :

US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

Link : www.rense.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

That's great!
I'm proud to be one of those 80 million. I was just seeing a headling yesterday about 1 in 6 patients being in a botched surgery. I'll have to find the article.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

That will kind of confirm that source. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I found the article I was talking about.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Hospitals hurt 18 percent of patients, study says
'Preventable complications are way too frequent in American health care'

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

Thanks. I found this one too :

Medical malpractice in some form has become the third highest cause of death in the United States. It is estimated that approximately 12,000 people die from unnecessary surgery, 7,000 die from medication errors, 20,000 people die from various other errors in hospitals, 80,000 people die from nosocomial infections acquired in hospitals, and an amazing 106,000 deaths occur every year bad effects of medications.

Link: www.resource4surgicalaccidents.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm a gun owner and believe they are the most vital tool for ensuring freedom. These statistics are somewhat misleading though. They only account for ACCIDENTAL deaths, there are far more gun related deaths per year. When one person murders another, its not considered accidental.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
hate to be a bummer, but i quite trusting rense years ago.

Doctors Are More Dangerous Than Gun Owners-Humorous Fiction! Summary of the eRumor: The forwarded email compares the rate of accidental deaths between physicians and gun owners and concludes that rate of accidental deaths per physician is much higher than the rate of accidental deaths per gun owner. The Truth: This email is obviously the humorous creation of a gun enthusiast. We don't know when it was written but not all of the statistics appear accurate. According to the U.S. Department of Health Services there were about 780,000 licensed physicians in the United States in 2008, so that figure seems good. Finding statistics that everybody agrees with regarding deaths caused by doctors is a little more difficult. Dr. J. Mercola released a book in 2000 titled Doctors are the Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Causing 250,000 Deaths Every Year. His breakdown, however, largely focuses on errors in hospitals and includes 12,000 deaths by unnecessary surgery, 7,000 due to medication errors in hospitals, 20,000 due to other errors in hospitals, 80,000 from infections in hospitals, and 106,000 from the negative effects of medications. Regarding gun owners, according to the National Rifle Association (NRA) 2010 Fact Sheet, they tallied in the U.S. between 70 and 80 million. The NRA fact sheet also said that there are close to 300 million privately owned firearms in the United States with hand guns counting for nearly 100 million and that somewhere between 40-45% of American households have firearms. According to the National Rifle Association there were 776 accidental deaths from firearms in 2000, a lower figure than in the email. That's all interesting to know but the premise of the email is weak and, as we said, mostly aimed toward humor. Comparing doctor deaths to accidental firearm deaths is meaningless, especially because doctors are dealing with people who are sick in the first place, some of whom are at high risk for death or have gone through high risk medical procedures.

source

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

When one person murders another, its not considered accidental.

If a person wants to murder some one they can find a way:

One Murderer I know used a gun - stolen from a cop in Massachusetts (Gun ban state).

The serial killer that lived down the street from me in Massachusetts killed his victims by strangling them.

A third killer I know knifed the guy.

The fourth killer committed two murders, one with a car and the other with a Peterbilt semi.

Only the first two were ever caught and tried.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Come now. Stop interjecting truth into political herp derp logic. We all know that if you own a gun you are an evil person and if you are a doctor you are completely ethical and angelic.

We need gun control, for the children. The FACT that my gun is less dangerous than, say, a doctor, does not matter in the minds of most people. They believe Hollywood and think shoot outs, like in the Matrix are real.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well guys, no matter how hard I think about it I still can't remember a single acient culture in mankind history without weapons. Must be because we always need them....to conquer, to hunt, to protect and of course....for revolutions.

Today we have many jobs where a gun is a must. Besides army, navy and airforces, armed security officers are all over.

Now, forget about the past and today. Think about the future.....don't you see more need to feel protected?, because....is getting worse right?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
We should be advocating education. I didn't have enough sense to keep my hand off the stove, but I well knew to leave my dad's guns alone. I knew that the guns were a look-but-don't-touch thing by the time I was five. That's because I was actually taken aside and told about how dangerous they can be. You lock things up and never tell your kids about them, of course bad things are going to happen. They're kids; they're curious and naturally ignorant of such things.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Sounds like your a terrorist that works for Al Qaeda.

I have informed the DHS of your flagrant propaganda. You can expect your bedroom door to be rammed in by armed men in black uniforms shortly.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I think small handguns should be banned. Small handguns have no use in our society as they do not contribute to hunting and contribute very little to safety. Gangsters carry small handguns concealed all the time and they are very hard at spotting.

If we only had big guns such as shotguns and rifles I think we could lower these gun death statistics.

No gangster is going to want to walk around with a 12 gauge shotgun down his pants. Carrying sawed off shotguns is a lot harder than revolvers.

Just my opinion.

EDIT:

And you are just using accidental deaths per year. What about how many homicides and injuries per year? Over 200,000 per year!

There is over 10,000 homicides, and over 200,000 injuries related to guns.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Equinox99 because: edit

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by budaruskie

When one person murders another, its not considered accidental.

If a person wants to murder some one they can find a way:

One Murderer I know used a gun - stolen from a cop in Massachusetts (Gun ban state).

The serial killer that lived down the street from me in Massachusetts killed his victims by strangling them.

A third killer I know knifed the guy.

The fourth killer committed two murders, one with a car and the other with a Peterbilt semi.

Only the first two were ever caught and tried.

OK...so what does that have to do with anything?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Too funny.

Small guns are too small.

Then it's "big guns are too big." Look no further than the ludicrous cries to ban .50 cal rifles and the quickness with which every center-fire rifle is referred to as a "high powered sniper rifle" by the media.

There's no appeasing a banner. Give an inch and they run at ludicrous speed to take up miles.

Which of these are "too small" and which are of acceptable sizes? Half of them? None of them? All of them?
Well, they're all potentially being used for that generic evil purpose I assume you fear. So I guess all of them? Even the full size revolver, full size mac or uzi and the full size, not even a sawed off, shotgun.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Ban ALL handguns. Guns that you can hold in one hand and you can hide under tight jeans. And it isn't funny at all.

Some stats to chew on:

Handguns

There are about 65 million handguns in the United States. Handguns make up 34 percent of all types of firearms.4

Of all firearm-related crime, 86 percent involved handguns.5

Only one in six Americans own handguns.6

Unlike manufacturers of other consumer products, the industry that makes handguns is unregulated for health and safety.
VPC

You should really look up the definition for handguns to know what they are. Revolvers are handguns and they should ban them.

EDIT

I watched your video and all I was thinking as he was pulling the rifle from his back was he was just standing. If he was walking around you would notice him barely walking and if he would try to pull out the rifle he would not only take longer pulling it out but someone would spot him because it is bigger.

Whereas a handgun you could walk around mobile with ease.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Equinox99 because: VIDEO NOTE

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Okay. Ban all handguns. Like in Chicago? Like in DC? Nobody has ever gotten shot in Chicago or DC?

Or do you want complete magical eradication of them off the face of the globe?

Just want to know if you're in "feel-good useless law" territory or "impossible reality" territory.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

This obviously will take time to eradicate. I don't know why you feel everything should come easy with a wave of a magic wand. All I have to say is statistics don't lie. I provided you with statistics that criminals like using small handguns and most of homicides, robberies, and people shot is from handguns.

I suggested a way to help solve the problem. All you did was come in here and frantically try to ridicule someone who had a possible solution. So what do you suggest? Should we let the world take its course as long as you can keep your handgun?
edit on 30-11-2010 by Equinox99 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I am a gun owner but, I freely admit many gun owners are idiots and place themselves and their families in more danger than they ever will a crimminal. Mandatory safety training every couple of years might save people from shooting themselves and others way more often then it should happen.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

This obviously will take time to eradicate. I don't know why you feel everything should come easy with a wave of a magic wand. All I have to say is statistics don't lie. I provided you with statistics that criminals like using small handguns and most of homicides, robberies, and people shot is from handguns.

I suggested a way to help solve the problem. All you did was come in here and frantically try to ridicule someone who had a possible solution. So what do you suggest? Should we let the world take its course as long as you can keep your handgun?
edit on 30-11-2010 by Equinox99 because: spelling

Why not just ban criminals?

Your proposed solution simply wouldnt work, and doesnt really seem to have much thought behind it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join