It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would the world be like if no one believed in a god or gods?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
For the purposes of this discussion, lets say that for whatever reason (not important to the discussion) that one day humanity gave up any and all of its beliefs in god or gods.

How do you think the would the world change?

Would the world be a better place? A worse place?

What do you all think?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by _Highlander_

IF there was absolute proof of no gods...no soul...no reincarnation...I feel that most people would do whatever they could to get ahead. skrew their fellow man to gain power and money.

ooops, nevermind

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Imagine all the people living for today.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Highlander_
For the purposes of this discussion, lets say that for whatever reason (not important to the discussion) that one day humanity gave up any and all of its beliefs in god or gods.

How do you think the world would change?

What do you all think?

The reason, either never having ever believed or ignorance, or understanding religion and giving up or denying these beliefs, is very important to how I would answer. So, 'lets say for the reason' of popular belief moved away from all religions and the majority of thought was this existance is the it/end. It is a better premis with which to start off on.

On that note I would say that not much would change until the next phase of our evolution to replacable parts and possibly mind transfer/storage.
edit on 25-11-2010 by Tempest333 because: JUST WANTED TO SAY SORRY FOR MY SPELLING

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

How do you think the would the world change? we would evolve as a species.

Would the world be a better place? A worse place? Both.

What do you all think? I think that day is coming very soon.....................

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Imagine, a Utopia of facts and evidence, No more killings of infidels, no women getting stoned for infidelity, No more 12 yr old girls getting thier clitoris removed to apease some obscure gods wishes, No more monks setting themselves on fire to protest tyranny, no more young boys being viollated because its gods will then offenders hiding behind billions of dollars of vatican secrecy.

sounds like it would be a terrible day in the history of Mankind huh?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Imagine, a Utopia of facts and evidence, No more killings of infidels, no women getting stoned for infidelity, No more 12 yr old girls getting thier clitoris removed to apease some obscure gods wishes, No more monks setting themselves on fire to protest tyranny, no more young boys being viollated because its gods will then offenders hiding behind billions of dollars of vatican secrecy.

Well your thought here is nice. But you know what? I have found that there are way too many not-so-nice people in this world that will find a reason, make a law, or whatever to make sure those brown-eyed women are killed, because the thing is inferior, any 12 yr old qirl caught peeing to bed made to become incubators for the human population because they should not be left in the sterile home enviromnment...

Yeah, not so nice.

P.s. I really think your thoughts are nice. Without religion is the only way to unity. Unfortunately, if we never did have religion, most the world would not know how to trust ourselves to do what is right and good.
edit on 25-11-2010 by Tempest333 because: EDIT FOR P.S.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

No smug Atheists to deal with !

Yes none of that would happen.

It would be far more brutal than that.
Life would have no purpose and no value.

WE CAN NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO ENVISAGING A GODLESS WORLD.
"Be careful what you wish for" is a saying that comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Oh I agree tempest, There is no shortage of peple with bad intentions, but an end to organized religions would help out quite a bit. I do not believe in god, but i dont have anything against the idea that there is one. I don't know, Could there be? Sure why not. But i think the VAST majority of orginized religions on this planet have the wrong idea. and the removal of those organized religions would be a step in the right direction.

I am a firm believer in science, but you cannot disprove god, so it is a definite possibility, I just dissagree with the way people go about promoting thier beliefs

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I think its the other way around. You can disprove God easily, but you can't prove he exists. Why? All the little veils in religious texts seem to provide endless reasons as to why.

reply to post by imjustlikeyou

Haven't read much Nietzsche huh?

As for overall:

I believe religion had its purpose in providing explanation. Religion was the product of curiousity in a time when scientific advancement was much less advanced and apt to explain phenomena. Without curiousity, there would be no religion. So without religion, in essence it would mean we would be living a simple lifestyle, like the other animals. Live - eat - screw - die.
edit on 25-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
We'd be pretty much exactly where we are today. Although we may be a little more (100 years?) advanced in tech thanks to Davinci.

Religion isn't the problem, it's just a scapegoat. If we didn't have religion, we'd be fighting over money. If not money, then something else.

I guess my point is, even if we took away religion we'd still have the root of the problem present, humanity.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I think Dr Suess might have covered this
in the starbellie sneech story
much more eloquently then I could ever say it

then there was the song
"one tin solldier rides away"

that says it pretty well too

I almost forgot Gulliver's travels and the war over which end of the egg to open

My own opinion?
the god of money has got be the first to go.

edit on 25-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
No churches, religion, etc. I think there would not be much difference from this world.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tempest333
The reason, either never having ever believed or ignorance, or understanding religion and giving up or denying these beliefs, is very important to how I would answer. So, 'lets say for the reason' of popular belief moved away from all religions and the majority of thought was this existance is the it/end. It is a better premis with which to start off on.

Literacy is tied to all of this.

The dumb sexual practices are lack of literate people.

Cure all literacy problems and your dream will come true.

But I do find it interesting, that Apriori, the Bible is the book
that contains the instructions to make a copy of the book,
specifically and literally written out as instructions that
one must make their own copy to stand a chance.

Otherwise it's just wishful thinking, right?

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Imagine, a Utopia of facts and evidence, No more killings of infidels, no women getting stoned for infidelity, No more 12 yr old

I think world-wide literacy would solve most of this.
edit on 25-11-2010 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

I agree religion filled it's niche and that is past now, Now we have answers to alot of questions , and if not answers than extremely informed guesses.

But if you cut away all the shiny stuff isn't that all we do is eat, reproduce, sleep, and produce wasre.

edit on 25-11-2010 by watchitburn because: wasre

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yeah, but all the other shiny stuff is brought on by curiousity. I don't think we would be around if we did not wonder how a stick would help us in fighting off an animal.
edit on 25-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

How do you think the would the world change?

What do you all think?

the whole kit and kabootle would go the hell in a handbasket. post-haste.

belief systems are merely 2nd to, if not 1st to/and share the same 'importance' as, political ideals.

'rat out'/find one ... and the other is near guaranteed to be 'right next door'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With regards:

What would the world be like if no one believed in a god or gods?

much the same as it is today.

imo

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tempest333

way too many not-so-nice people in this world that will find a reason, make a law, or whatever to make sure those brown-eyed women are killed

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8507dee0185.png[/atsimg]

God will go away when we teach everyone to read first.

Till then,
isn't it likely
that we will fight
someone who didn't get the memo?

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A bit better..i think? I don't know...maybe people wouldn't be much different than today. There will always be good and compassionate and evil non-compassionate people..with or without the church.

look at the studies done on children. Some children are compassionate while others are not. Some are kind and giving while others are mean and greedy. Some studies have used children in toddler/preschool years and I don't think that they have had time to grasp any kind of religious doctrine. They are either born good or "evil"..without any help from the church.

I am a non-believer. My parents never took us to church and we never discussed "what jesus would do" and whatnot. I am a decent human being. I don't steal, don't murder, don't do drugs, don't cheat on my husband or work or anything else. I am compassionate and giving and hope for the best. I know as I get older I am not giving the benefit of doubt as much..but I have just lost trust with some..and this is to protect myself and family...but I certainly wouldn't do anything bad to anyone..unless threatened. Where does this leave me? I guess I am bound for hell even though I have tried to live a decent life and provide the best for myself, my family and friends and occasionally a stranger or two..I just cannot believe in a supreme being..and so I guess if I'm wrong I will burn in hell...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join