It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
OP, what about petrified forests? Are those not acceptable because they are not currently living?

www.mtritter.org...

Nothing lives forever, including trees.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Learn a little, studies of the petrified forest, for example, have trees there that are hundreds of millions of years old. Let me guess, you don't believe in carbon dating? Or that fossilized remains are just accidental coincidences in geology? I fell for the gimmick, you wrote something outrageous and I responded. Does tthat make you a troll or me a fool?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Op is trolling you all and has purposely picked and chosen the questions he CAN answer as opposed to the questions which demolish his point of view, true religious nut job here for you guys! short sighted, narrow minded and unable to listen to anyone else's opinion other than his own.

Stop feeding him, let him believe in his imaginary friend k.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Because when the earth is rock, and lava and toxic gasses, trees cant grow.......

2nd line

So if this tree is here in one thousand years...would you reply/logic/worldview still fit?

When does your assertion "trees can't grow" start to become a reality?

What an absolutely preposterous OP.

Where is the causal link between the age of a tree and the age of the Earth.

Also how can human civilisation be hundreds of years old when we can't find a person older than 150 years?

Your education is found wanting it may be prudent for you to restartst with kindergarten.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oops double post
edit on 24-11-2010 by spookfish because: Double post

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Animals need trees for oxygen...animals were around before 10,000 years ago...Some dinosaurs were plant eaters...This thread has no basis, there's been a few definitive responses already but you ignore them and keep this thread going regardless..If I was mod I would of just PM'd you some common-sense, and deleted this thread from the get-go.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm an old man and I live in the southeastern US.
The reason I say this is because when I was younger, we cooked and heated our home with coal.
To get this coal we dug it by hand from under a "high wall" left from a previous strip mining operation.
Many times I have found fern and even small tree leaves which had turned to coal within the layers of slate rock where we dugg.
I don't know just how long it took these leaves to do this but I would think it to be more than 10000 years.
Of course, I conveniently did not save any examples of these to show, so I guess you will just have to take my word for it.

edit on 24-11-2010 by hdutton because: spelling error

edit on 24-11-2010 by hdutton because: still can't spell

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
For one im sure environments change a lot between 10,000 years and trees come and go all over the world and the pando tree seems to be 80K-1,000,000 years old just found that on wikipedia. A tree is a living organism and im sure it's life lasts so long just like ours, animals, or even stars. Our lives dont last forever! Im sure a tree is lucky if it lasts more then 10,000 years.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

What about petrified wood? Isn't this trees that have been transformed by millenniums of mineral deposits replacing organic molecules to make rock? The tree was there before this process started.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wow that's a good question. Other than the fact that they DIE and ROT from multiple causes, I can't find a reason. I think I'll do hours of research on this because it seems as though trees are linked with the Illuminati. Perhaps they chopped em all down except for that one JUST to make you wonder.

I can't believe I actually commented on this thread.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
More proof that evolution exists, the lack of trees or any vegitation older then 10,000 yrs aold because around 12,000 yrs back is when the last great Ice Age occured burying the entire planet in snow and ice for a few thousand years thus killing off all older plantlife.

Hook, line, sinker, SUNK!

A similair like event is projected to occur by 12,000 CE/AD. A majority of the now older and dead vegitation is with us now in the shape and likes of fossil fuels and modern petrochemicals hence how that dinosuar or ancestor to humanity is now in your gas tank.

The estimated age of planet Earth is somewhere around 4,500,000,000 (4 Billion 500 Million) years old.
edit on 24-11-2010 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Fossilized wood is usually older than 10,000 years.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Again with the absence of evidence = evidence of absence argument OldTimer ?

Even managing to pontificate on statistics again I see.

Got to tell you though, this is weak even for you. It really isn't even a vaguely defensible argument. Still good luck with your fishing trip.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

"I'll say a prayer for you this Thanksgiving. Good bye.... "

Exactly my point. These people have such arrogance, they will smile as you burn, as they pray for your salvation. Given the right circumstance, right wing "Christian" cultists WILL vote in theocracy and revise history to assert the Founders wanted things that way, They WILL discriminate against everyone but other cultists. They will tell a Methodist, a Catholic, a Presbyterian that they are not Christians. They will happily prevent athiests from teaching and other professions "for the good of the community." They WILL bomb Iran and will praise God in church the day the bombs fall.

You have it backwards friend...its nothing about me...its called GRACE...and we all need it one time or another.

Now please move along, you are off topic

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by MrXYZ

Yea, sorry, Mr XYZ...how are you?

I've been a little busy...

You response about rotting trees makes sense to me...good point!

Now what about only 1 tree left...just one?

This is a stupid waste of time on my part :
There is :"just" one WE've identified.. perhaps there are more?

imho this question was answered 4or maybe 5 pages ago: "flood" my furry baboon red butt...
edit on 24-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Well I highly doubt the planet is only 10,000 years old, it takes over 10,000 years for the earths lava flow to cool on the surface to even have a crust..
Lets say for a second it was only 10,000 years old, that would give 550 years for the conditions to form life would happen to make that tree, as opposed to the 200,000 years it took for humans to evolve to the point we're at..

and the fact that other things have been carbon dated to exist longer than 10,000 yrs ago proves this.

Always respect for our fellow OldThinker

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Creationists believe earth is 6000 years old. You try to prove creationists right by saying they found a tree 9000 years old. Someone's bad at math. Also, many fungi digest plants and trees. Of course they won't find many old trees, because nature ensures that they decompose.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish

Your education is found wanting it may be prudent for you to restartst with kindergarten.

Well thats ironic, isn't it? Look! There! evolution grow some extra consonants...talking about education
edit on 24-11-2010 by OldThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

OT's in good company

So your proof for god is the word of people who've been dead for at least 60 years...and every single one of them stated and OPINION and did NOT provide evidence for god's existence. What they did was fill a gap in knowledge with a mythical creature. Like cavemen did when it comes to fire...you are falling into the god of the gaps trap like a caveman!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

How can the earth be Billions of years old, yet we havent found any human being over 200?

Clearly, living things come and go. The landscape changes, climates change, catastrophes happen.

It makes sense to me that the oldest living tree is only thousands of years old, most plants would have a hard time surviving an ice age (the most recent ice age ending roughly 10,000 years ago)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join