It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 year old good kid faces deportation--It all changes when its close to home

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Text

Bernard Pastor, 18 and baby-faced, is a kid who was a few years under me in high school.I think I was a senior when he was a freshman. Reading is a pretty small school so I remember seeing him, very polite, always smiling and interacting with his classmates. He was ranked 5th out of 105 students in his class, played soccer, liked to joke around and play the drums... your stereotypical All-American kid, right? He graduated this past June and was planning on going to school to be a minister; very involved with church and family. Then, he got into a minor traffic incident and couldn't produce a drivers' license or immigration papers...and now, he will most likely be deported to Guatemala, where he has no family and no future.
Read the story

My heart is breaking for this kid, and my mind changes constantly on immigration matters. But when I think of an INDIVIDUALS life, their hopes and dreams being ripped to shreds, I just believe something needs to change. Bernard was brought here by his parents, albeit illegally, when he was 3. He grew up as an American kid, doing what American little boys do. He was a GOOD kid, and had a future. I do feel that immigrants need to go through the proper steps to become a U.S. citizen, but what about kids, who have no say in the matter? They didn't ask to be brought here illegally. Then they live normal, productive lives and have everything taken from them because of their parents? I don't see the fairness. He would qualify for the DREAM act if it were passed. I would like to know everyones thoughts on this.

edit on 23-11-2010 by Seekingmyself because: Mods: I'm not sure if I did this properly or if I put this in the right place. Sorry!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekingmyself

This is a difficult issue and not unlike one that we had here in Atlanta recently.

Being "illegal" after all is, well, illegal... But with these high achieving kids, who stand to benefit our nation as adults, I sincerely feel that we need to pass laws which might take their merits into consideration - towards possibly allowing them legal resident alien status with the potential for citizenship.

The reality is that we are granting green cards and visas to people far less deserving on a daily basis.

Sad, sad story. S&F

~Heff

edit on 11/23/10 by Hefficide because: added "-" because I wanted to

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I was deported. My parents brought me to the the US when I was a toddler. Hell, I didn't even know I wasn't an American until I was about 16.

I did not qualify for a green card. My only out, could have been to get married to an American, but I didn't love one, and couldn't see myself marrying for that reason alone.

After 9/11 the fact that I looked, sounded and acted like anyone of your American neighbors didn't help any-more. I had a job in a sensitive area and when the US government made my employer do background checks on everyone I was found out.

I do have two American born brothers. In order for an American family member to sponsor you for a green card they MUST BE 21. Both ( twins) had recently joined the military and though would be 21 in a few months time I could not see myself risking their future for me. Both had been accepted into sensitive jobs which may have been put in danger had it been discovered several of their family members were living in the US illegally.

An attorney told me he could probably keep me in the US, but I wouldn't be able to work and his fees were...a lot. I had some savings, but after spending a few thousand dollars and being told over and over again that the many forms I'd filled out, the many interviews I went to all didn't matter, in the end, I just didn't qualify.

Green cards are given to: Family members of Americans who are at least 21 and can financially support you. Someone who can make a contribution to the economy of at least 1 million dollars ( yeah..you can buy your way in). Someone who contributes to the culture, arts of the US ( yep folks, movie stars and football players are welcome).

Hopefully, this person will be able to find a way to stay. I wasn't able to in the end and even though it was the hardest thing I ever did, getting on that plane and leaving home forever, in the end it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.

Turns out, America wasn't all I thought she was, and that really hit home when she kicked me to the curb.

Just because your future may not be white bread American doesn't mean it can't be good.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I feel the pain.

Borders are unnecessary and, well, retarded.

Meaningless primitive ways of dealing with "outsiders".

I hope all goes well for him. I really do. I am 18, and I can't bare thinking about what I would do if that happened to me.

This world really needs a reality check. We live on a planet, not 194 mini ones called countries.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It does seem that there are efforts being made ---but they aren't passed yet.From the article: "Pastor is the type of young person who could be helped if the DREAM Act were to become law. Introduced as a bipartisan bill in 2001, the act would provide undocumented students with a six-year window to earn a permanent visa and citizenship. Up to 65,000 undocumented students graduate each year from U.S. high schools.

Among DREAM Act requirements would be high moral character and the ability to earn a two- or four-year degree or serve in the military.

Chuck LaFata, Reading High School principal, described Pastor as a model student"- Cincinnati Enquirer

I think those requirements are valid and necessary. Very well written bill.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Borders and countries do not help us...
T|Hey create seperation and war. We are all the same. Everyone of us. On e day things will be different and we will live in a better world...x

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I'm wondering where are all those people - doctors, teachers, educators, neighbors, preachers, parents - who aided and abetted the family's illegal status. Where are they? Is ICE and INS going to go back and find out who helped this person (and apparently his entire family) break the law?

The fault, culpability, liability lies with those people.

His parents and every school administrator who let him pass with no actual legal right to participate in public education should be ashamed of themselves.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

doctors, teachers, educators, neighbors, preachers

And how, by not asking for their papers every time they had an interaction?

I lived over 25 years in the US as an illegal, no one ever asked me for mine. I went to school, college, doctors, dentists, work..and no one ever asked me.

Do you know why? Because I'm white and speak perfect American English. In your ideal world should only brown people be required to provide papers, or does that apply to everyone?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
If he is here illegally then he goes. There are too many of his ilk soaking up our resources. Let him go be a great benefit to his own country. I had to fight 2 years for disability on horrible spinal injuries because his people are taking billions in tax dollars they never paid. I paid over 300,000 in taxes by my 38th birthday. What did he do but suck it out?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Before the flaming posts start, please read the entire posting and consider what is being stated.
Interesting story and one that give pause for thought and consideration. We live in a nation of laws, and are expected to follow those laws no matter that. The concept and original concept of the system that the US has, was designed that justice should be blind, and no one, from a small child up to the President of the United States should be above the law.
Illegal Immigration has been a problem for years, make no mistake about this, as this issue did not start here recently, and goes back to the days of the 1940’s and World War II. Illegal Immigrants have been coming here since that time frame, and the problem has only gotten worse over the years, to the point where it is a problem these days, and the concept is that Illegal Immigrants us the United States of America as a banking machine and those who hire Illegal Immigrants are using such as cheap labor for their own profit. It is a vicious cycle, and affects the entire country. Currently is has fueled a new rum triangle, with the illegal narcotics in the US.
Unfortunately for every story like this one, there are often stories where the person is not so good, and has committed far more serious crimes, and did not get fully punished except to be expelled and come back to do such again.
It can be stated that this case and others like it are a real shame, as you have a child, through no fault of his own, was brought here, while very young, by his parents, some 15 years ago, and has remained in the US, finishing his education. Then he broke the law, and got sent to jail and now the question has been brought up on if they should deport him or not.
There are more and more cases like this one that is coming up, and as much as it is going to hurt or stink, but we should all follow the laws of the country, and yes he should be deported. His parents should be punished harshly, as they have condemned their own child to a life, where he would ultimately have to break more laws to survive in this country. They were irresponsible in their actions and the victim in this case is an 18 year old child, who has to pay the ultimate price for such. The US, can no longer afford to be so forgiving, or willing to accept or even be expected to take care of people from other countries, while it can no longer afford to take care of its own citizens. It was wrong for them to expect that it would be alright for their child and to put all hopes of him, and them to get citizenship. The Dream Act was a bad law, that would have not only given him citizenship, but his entire family and possibly his extended family, and the law was very reflective of such. The solution to this issue will neither be easy or simple, and people like this child will get hurt. That is unfortunately, but the law has to be equal on all sides, to both those living here and those who are wanting to come here. It is good that no one got hurt or was seriously harmed in the accident, cause if there was, then the outcry would have been far worse and the hatred towards this child would have been greater.
Recently those in power have forgotten that the law must be blind and has started to subject the country to a one sided rule. Counties, cities and states that are sanctuaries for illegal immigrants are now all under the pinch of the economy and can no longer afford to protect those who they want.
The solution is not going to be fair in the case of this child, but if I was ICE, and in charge, yes I would deport him, however, I would leave the door open for him to come back and become a citizen, thus satisfying both sides.
Now having read the posts, there are a few other things that many are not considering, the boarders of a country are important. Yes they do separate us from having contact, but here is the question are you prepared to have to learn another language, and go by the customs that you may not agree with? Would it matter if your parent, or child or anyone in your immediate family were to get sick from a disease that your country has protections against, and the other does not? Kind of makes you think when you put it into terms like that, borders separate countries for a reason, as wars have been fought, cause the people of that area spoke one language or another. Open borders, means that a people who may not hold the same values or live under a stricter code can come in and condemn and persecute you for violating one thing or another. And with an open border, you may find that while one economy may suffer, the other prospers. Every country out there, has a different set of standards on what is and is not acceptable, and different expectations of its citizens. From language to the very essence of what makes a people unique. Are you willing to lose that which makes you unique? Our very culture and history are all based on the borders that surround us and it would be a shame to see such be lost. In Europe, where they do have open borders, as part of the EU, it is starting to come very apparent that maybe such was not a good idea, as it is hard to find something uniquely of one culture or another, as the people travel and merge.
I am not against immigrations, nor should the country, however, illegal immigration is a real problem, and the longer that the federal government waits, the worse it is going to get.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
It does not change when its close to home, it is just that you didn't care before it hits you

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
In all those years the parents never tried to become legal citizens? Though there are some illegals I'd rather see here than some of our low life criminal legal citizens, we cannot have laws that only apply to some and not others. So many innocent people have lost their lives due to illegal immigrants simply because our laws were not enforced. Sadly, along with the nice people, we have murderers, pedophiles, thieves, gang members, rapists etc that come over the border. Many who have had numerous previous arrests and deportations, only to come right back over with a new alias and to continue their crimes.

We were once the land of opportunity, but now we have millions of people who are unemployed. Our homeless shelters are filled to capacity and tent cities are rising. In the colder climates, some do not survive. Many illegals are recieiving benefits that our own citizens cannot get. Do we ignore our poor citizens to place a foreigner above them in importance?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

The rules should apply to everyone.

In fact, my friend, I would recommend that, if you are still living in the U.S. without immigration documentation consistent with U. S. and state law, you turn yourself in to your local sheriff's department.

When you get it sorted out there, you should seriously consider contacting your state and federal treasuries and reimbursing the taxpayers for the services you used illegally.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Thanks for spreading the word about this case. The sad thing is that he is indicative of hundreds of thousands of DREAMers nationwide. If you know Bernard/his classmates, etc. I'm trying to get in touch with them to spread around a petition, make calls to support, organize a vigil, that sort of thing.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Too bad the law was broken to get this kid in our country. Leaving the border open for people to end up like this is cruel. Close the border and institute a real immigration policy like all other countries have!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The way I see it is that this kid was 3 years old when he was brought here by his parents. He grew up here, and is just as American as anybody born here.

If parents bring a 3 year old kid to a bank robbery...they don't charge the kid as an accomplice to the crime...so kids that are brought here illegally by their parents shouldn't be punished for others actions either.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just because someone is a "good kid" doesn't excuse the fact he is here illegally. We are a country of laws, and they should be enforced. This same argument comes about time and time again; Proponets of these criminals try to make citizens ignore facts by playing on emotions. It is believed that doing this will make people feel sorry for these "poor immigrants" Another tactic is changing words to make people support illegals; an example is calling these criminals "Migrant Workers" doing this would be equal to calling a drug dealer a unlicensed street pharmatist. Both are criminals, but changing the words takes peoples attention away from the law.Another common tactic is playing the race card. However, most citizens want illegals deported no matter if they are white, black, or brown we only want the law enforced. These people need to realize they do not control the message getting to the people anymore; the days of liberal only media is over, the legal citizens are onto this game. The last tactic I will talk about is the phrase "your ancestors where illegal immigrants too" At the time of the colonies there wasn't any law preventing illegal immigration; it wasn;t untill the country was formed and law established is when this practice was stopped. This is why we have routes that immigrants can use to become citizens, which alot of our ancestors used to get a better life. However. illegals want to skip the line, jumping around immigrants doing things the right way; and a large majority of legal immigrants despise illegal immigration, thinking why do these people get to skip a process that we worked hard to complete.

As far as the "Dream Act" is concerned, it will be stopped dead in its tracks. After the Nov. 2 elections. the left has finally got it through their heads that they better to the citizens wishes. If not when 2012 comes around the conservitives will take the senate and white house, just like they did with the house.
edit on 23-11-2010 by Skeptron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

he was illegal. take him back to his country of origin for now (because you cant treat him any differently than any other illegal because that wouldn't be PC) and he can come back legally like his parents should have brought him in the first place. i blame his parents more than any one. they should have taken the correct steps to making their child a US citizen. but they didnt and now he has to pay for it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I hate it for him but the law is the law. It took me almost four years to get a skilled migrant visa in Australia and was huge pain in the arse and it cost a ton of money because I used immigration lawyers in the UK to do my bidding for me etc. Countries have channels that you should use for a good reason. It might take you some time to get it done but at least you will be able to be in the country legally and not risk deportation etc.

I recently just got my visa's for the family and I still have to validate them by simply showing up in Australia. After that it will take another 4 years to become an actual citizen with us living their.

When it is all said and done it will take anywhere between 8-10 years to become an actual citizen. Sure it is a big pain in the butt but it will be worth it when it is all said and done.

EDIT: His parents could have prevented all of this as well.
edit on 23-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I really feel for you, and above all for the unfortunate kid.

It seems very strange, to me, that on a site with so many paranoid people, with so many ludicrous "conspiracy theories", with so much PC BS, no one has figured out yet, that the greatest conspiracy, the biggest hoax, and the most horrible terrors, perpetrated against human beings, are those created by imaginary lines, a.k.a. "borders", imaginary entities, a.k.a. "The Nation-State", and "Countries", and the unlawful imposition of such ridiculous notions on individuals...

Hope your friend manages to get a good lawyer, and is "permitted" to stay where he belongs.
Good luck, and best wishes, to you and everybody standing up for JUSTICE - very different from what "they" call "The Law".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join