It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Condoms are OK in some cases" - Pope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Pope Benedict XVI has said the use of condoms is acceptable "in certain cases", according to a new book.

"In certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection, it can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality," he said.

Source

Interesting. The Pope seems to have softened his stand on this issue now. Is the Catholic Church finally catching up to the modern world, and adapting to changing times?

The Church has come under attack for various reasons, and I think it's important to highlight news like this which shows the Church in a different light. Mind you, the Pope has only deemed it "acceptable" for a certain section of society, and has not full on endorsed condoms in a general sense, but even this is something.

Do you think this will open the doors for more "modernization" and a more realistic approach to social issues, or is this a one-off thing?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrius

It is a bit of a turn around, but sadly I think it's unlikely that any other changes along these lines will be forthcoming any time soon.

Shame really.

Rev

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrius

I'm lost for words. Shaking my head right now

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightrun
reply to post by Arrius

Because you agree or disagree?

Rev

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo

Originally posted by nightrun
reply to post by Arrius

Because you agree or disagree?

Rev

Disagree. I'm surprised he's still talking and thinking about condoms.
For a man representing a religion, he sure is slow at setting the guidelines especially for modern times.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nightrun

I see where you're coming from and it's nice to meet someone who sticks to their beliefs.
I'm not a Catholic or indeed any other type of Literalist Christian, so my views on such things are a wee bit different from yours. That said however, I totally agree with your views on his "setting of guidelines" or lack thereof.

Rev

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrius

Seems Pope Joe maybe a little wishy washy. Although, isn't the same Pope that has made disclosure, that there are E.T.s. Pope of the NWO.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

Yeah, that's what I think, absolutely. It'd be nice to have religion, science and society not be so....what's the word I'm looking for...tangential to each other, I guess...but that may never happen.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Guess it depends on what child we are in risk of being afflicted with

2nd line

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nightrun

But I think the Church has always taken time to adjust to new views, to a new society...whether it be to accepting that earth is not the center of the universe, or this issue....It'd be great if a message was sent that modernization is not essentially corruption...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by vincevatican777

Glad you brought it up! Made me think....has the Vatican been more...realistic lately?

top topics

join