It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive European Pyramids Discovered

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The Bosnian Pyramid Phenomenon

This article was originally published in The New Archaeology Review, volume 1, issue 8, pages 16-17, September 2006.

By Robert M. Schoch

Boston University
circulartimes.org...

Having more than a casual interest in ancient pyramids (after all, I am the author of two books focusing on pyramids: Voyages of the Pyramid Builders, and Pyramid Quest), I wanted to see first-hand what all the pyramid fuss in Bosnia was about. If there really was a huge pyramid, larger than the Great Pyramid of Egypt, in Bosnia, then I wanted the opportunity to study it. On the other hand, if there were no pyramids in Bosnia, that would be important to know too. But how to get to Bosnia? The answer turned out to be easy. My friend and professional colleague, Dr. Colette M. Dowell, simply contacted the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun Foundation and Semir Osmanagic. Initial contact was followed up with emails phone calls, and quickly we received an invitation to visit Visoko and see the “pyramids” for ourselves. We made the trip to Bosnia during July and August 2006.

The afternoon we arrived in Bosnia, Osmanagic insisted on taking us straightaway to the so-called Pyramid of the Sun. I observed the excavated areas of huge stone blocks; blocks that I was told were most definitely not natural. Clearly, Osmanagic insisted, they were man-made concrete blocks that cannot be explained geologically, put into place with a sophisticated ancient technology that has now been lost. Amazingly, he explained, the “concrete” blocks proved to be harder and more durable than any modern concretes or cements. But he and I were apparently seeing different things, perhaps viewing an entirely different world. Where he saw concrete blocks and human intervention, I saw only perfectly natural sandstones and conglomerates that had broken into larger or smaller blocks due both to tectonic stresses and gravity slumping. For a week and a half this seemed to be the dominant theme: Osmanagic and others who worked with and for him insisting that this or that feature can never occur in nature, and thus must be artificial and human-made, versus me finding a perfectly reasonable geological explanation for each of the same features.

While wondering the streets of Visoko, being offered all sorts of pyramid souvenirs, from tee shirts to copper plates bearing depictions of the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun (stylistically rendered either as a stepped Mayan-style pyramid or, less frequently, as a smooth-sided Giza-style pyramid), I continued to hope against hope that I could find some “truth” underlying the “pyramid mania” that has gripped the region. One last possibility might be the evidence of the reputed tunnels found in the area that supposedly connect one pyramid to another. We had the opportunity to explore one tunnel that is currently open; to put it mildly, I was disappointed with what I saw. The tunnel had clearly been entered and modified in recent times, as evidenced by the graffiti found in places, the collapsed ceilings and walls, and the stories that the Yugoslavian army (Bosnia and Herzegovina was part of the former Yugoslavia) had once used the tunnels for military purposes, and possibly purposefully destroyed parts of them. If this was an ancient tunnel, it was difficult to tell now. The much-touted “ancient inscriptions” seem not to be ancient at all. I was told by a reliable source that the inscriptions were not there when members of the “pyramid team” initially entered the tunnels less than two years ago. The “ancient inscriptions” had been added since, perhaps non-maliciously, or perhaps as a downright hoax.

So, no pyramids, but there are many fascinating and genuine archaeological wonders in Bosnia. On the summit of Visocica Hill, which overlooks Visoko, are the remains of a medieval fort built on top of Roman ruins, and there is also evidence of Neolithic occupation of the hill, dating back perhaps 5,000 years. While in Bosnia we also visited megalithic ruins attributed to the Illyrians (circa 4th century A.D.), a possible Paleolithic cave (unfortunately, we had neither the time nor equipment to enter it; I would love to return and explore it), and fascinating medieval cemetery monuments to the dead.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A flight ticket is cheap, and it should solve all the Debunkers worrys in this thread. Sad thing is, I have not seen one Debunker do this to prove their point

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somamech
A flight ticket is cheap, and it should solve all the Debunkers worrys in this thread. Sad thing is, I have not seen one Debunker do this to prove their point

I also said the same to them to grab their gear and travel to here to my country or to Bosnia, because both nation has a lot to tell about this pyramid. But nooooooo... for them it's a hoax, regardless it's existing for both countries.
edit on 21-11-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Thank you for RECITING THIS! (Not being sarcastic as usual). But if you look at Page 4+5 I also go over Schoch's credentials as a Yale graduated Geo-physicist as well as the view of the archaeological world. I'm going to make it my life mission to refer to this segment everytime these people talk about keeping an "open mind." Deny ignorance and propaganda...as that is the case in this instance!
edit on 21-11-2010 by TheChemist1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2010 by TheChemist1 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Nov 21 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Somamech

I was referring to Sentinel412 who has only today joined ATS with the apparent intent of trying to perpetrate a well known hoax in order to somehow prove that Hungarians built pyramids in Bosnia 12,000 years ago and are some sort of superior ancient race.

It's an interesting variation on a theme.

link   
reply to post by TheChemist1

LOL apparently you missed the point I was trying to make. You cant argue whether these exist or not if the work isnt finished. Everything isnt known about the egyptian pyramids still to this day, and look how long and how many archaeologists have been studying them. I have been reading up on the subject, everyone has been posting plenty on it so far, and not one skeptic has posted anything that has fully convinced me that its merely a hill. Who cares if it turns out nothing is there? At least these archaeologists got off their butts to find out what is there instead of relying on google for info. Lets not forget the most intelligent minds of our species are considered crazy until more people investigate what they are talking about and find out for themselves that they were right. This is a prime example of why our society hasnt made any huge leaps in invention or discovery lately. Too many nay-sayers and not enough believers,

link   
double post. needs a new mouse, sigh
edit on 21-11-2010 by OptimistPrime because: double post

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Expert interpretations

Boston University's Curtis Runnels, an expert in prehistoric Greece and the Balkans states that, "Between 27,000 and 12,000 years ago, the Balkans were locked in the last Glacial maximum, a period of very cold and dry climate with glaciers in some of the mountain ranges. The only occupants were Upper Paleolithic hunters and gatherers who left behind open-air camp sites and traces of occupation in caves.

Enver Imamović of the University of Sarajevo, a former director of the National Museum of Sarajevo, concerned that the excavations will damage historic sites such as the medieval royal capital Visoki, said that the excavations would "irreversibly destroy a national treasure".[13] Excavations by archaeologists not related to the Foundation in the summer of 2008 uncovered medieval artefacts and led to renewed calls for the government to cancel Osmanagić's digging permits.[14]

yes there are many artifacts, but not linked to the supposed Bosnian pyramids

Professor Anthony Harding, president of the European Association of Archaeologists, referred to Osmanagić's theories as "wacky" and "absurd" and expressed concern that insufficient safeguards were in place to protect Bosnia's "rich heritage" from "looting and unmonitored or unauthorised development".

On 8 May 2006, members of the Geological team investigating Visočica on behalf of the Archaeological Park: Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun Foundation held a press conference in Tuzla to present the results of their research. The academics, from the Faculty of Mining and Geology[16] at the University of Tuzla[17] and led by Professor Dr. Vrabac,[18] concluded that the hill is a natural geological formation, made of clastic sediments of layered composition and varying thickness, and that its shape is a consequence of endodynamical and exodynamical processes in the post-Miocene era.

According to Professor Vrabac, who specializes in paleogeology, there are dozens of similar morphological formations in the Sarajevo-Zenica mining basin alone. The Geological team report on Visocica, based on the data collected in six drill holes at 3 to 17 metre depths, is supported by the Research and Teaching Council of the Faculty of Mining and Geology, as well as the Association of Geologists of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 123030p://bSunday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel412

Aye, because we're all milionaires who can stop work and fly around the world on a whim

Why do you assume this? Not everyone is as rich as you presumably are.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimistPrime

You know what...I agree with you. I fully agree with you in the sense that it should be looked at and evaluated. The problem is that it has...if you have read my long cited post on page 4 or 5 I'd love to discuss it with you! You're the person I've been waiting for! Someone who actually reads and replies as opposed to calling me a liar and disinformant. I'd love more current information, but it seems that all the signs are pointing in the wrong direction...for me at least.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by Somamech

I was referring to Sentinel412 who has only today joined ATS with the apparent intent of trying to perpetrate a well known hoax in order to somehow prove that Hungarians built pyramids in Bosnia 12,000 years ago and are some sort of superior ancient race.

It's an interesting variation on a theme.

So now we're also superior because our ancients built pyramids. Now this is new to me. You know I believe I know where from your inferiority complex is originating and that's also telling me why you're trying to tell this is a hoax, while it's clearly not. You already called me as racist, because I'm telling the truth. You're an interesting guy... in a negative light.

And as none of you proved what I said is a hoax, my claims are still valid. None of you was capable to debunk those videos or info what I provided, just came with the usual low IQ mocking.

REMINDER TO READERS: Read PAGE 4 and 5 as the dear disinfo agent The Chemist are bombing the thread again with long quotes and wall of texts to push the true info to the background.
edit on 21-11-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Once again THANKYOU FOR RECITING THIS! (still not being sarcastic!) You can look on page 4+5 on my post for additional citations as well as a letter to UNESCO and actual outrage from the Bosnian people!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sentinel412
So now we're also superior because our ancients built pyramids.

We no, because they didn't
Let alone built pyramids that replicated natural hills with bedrock etc in such a way that they appear exactly to be normal hills .....

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Please folks, all points of view are welcome in ATS discussion threads.

Let's stick to discussing the facts and evidence please and not make this personal.

And suggesting that the professor I quoted on page 2 should give up his PhD is not a very good refutation of his claims?

What is wrong with his claims? He's been there in person and seen the formations and provided information about his assessment. Feel free to refute refute his claims if you think he's wrong, but you have to do more than just say he should give up his PhD to refute his specific claims. Please talk about specifics, since I posted specifics.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join