It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden seeks Wikileaks boss arrest over rape claim

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Sweden seeks Wikileaks boss arrest over rape claim

www.google.com

STOCKHOLM — A Swedish prosecutor said Thursday she had requested the arrest of Julian Assange, the founder of whistleblower website WikiLeaks, to face charges of rape and sexual molestation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11/18/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed source link

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
ok.. this on is a real shocker.... don't know what to make of it!!!!

"I request the District Court of Stockholm to detain Mr. Assange in his absence, suspected of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion,"

are they trying to get to him as such?

character assassination or legitimate claims?

your thoughts?

[url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gBIiwry4GxHK2hgspa3l_OmgYICQ?docId=CNG.34d413ddaf37cdcea164fb9b026494b1.1c1]www.google.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

eta....

www.abc.net.au...

edit on 18/11/10 by mcrom901 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Goes to show that when your first attempt at character assasination fails just do it again and go for a higher up. At least these guys are getting their moneys worth this time whoever it is.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Isent this old news?
I remember it to be months old..

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

I just read this on a swedish news site. It seems to me like they really want to lock Assange away. To my knowledge there isn't much evidence other that the statements of the alleged victims.

As always, if anyone needs help with translating something from swedish, let me know. Happy to help

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Here we go again
www.bbc.co.uk...

They are really trying to get Julian these days.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well supposedly our fearless Mr Wikileaks was just about to go after the Russians next time... He's not going to be popular with 2 of the most powerful nations on the earth at least
I bet they have a list of every girl (or boy?!) he's ever even kissed and they have looked deeply at each and every one... Any one could call rape on him, mind you is this a new claim or the same as last time? As smear campaigns go it's a little half hearted, can't they at least say he kicked a puppy and worked as a self employed youth swimming wear inspector?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Any one could call rape on him, mind you is this a new claim or the same as last time?

It's the same as last time, three counts of molestation, one rape and one forceful coercion. All between 13-17th of August. The hearing is scheduled to begin in 45 minutes, but it's unlikely that Assange will show up.
edit on 18/11/10 by Saribous because: added more information

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Well, this "so called" rape case with Julian 'Don Juan' Assange definitely smells very fishy, and I now even think there's a possibility that the Swedish Government could be under some foreign political pressure to go through with this case.

Even different Swedish prosecutors of different ranks have overruled each other during these last months. :shk:

The official reason for the arrest order is that he has to be heard in this investigation.

UPDATE: Swedish Prosecutor Seeks To Detain WikiLeaks Founder

STOCKHOLM (Dow Jones)--Prosecutors in Sweden requested a court order Thursday to detain WikiLeaks founder and editor-in-chief Julian Assange in connection with a rape investigation.

The case was dismissed after it surfaced in August, but it has been re-opened on appeal.

Assange has been under scrutiny since July, when the whistle-blower website released 76,000 classified U.S. military documents about the war in Afghanistan. In October, Wikileaks released another 40,0000 classified documents on the war in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

online.wsj.com...

In her request to Stockholm's district court, prosecutor Marianne Ny said Assange is suspected of "rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion.

"We need to interrogate him. So far, we have not been able to meet with him to accomplish the interrogations," she said in a statement.

Prosecutors declined to give more details, because the investigation was in progress. Hearing on the detention issue is due to start at 1300 GMT. Assange's lawyer Bjorn Hurtig was not immediately available for comment.

Thursday's detention request is the latest turn in a complicated case where different Swedish prosecutors of different ranks have overruled each other.

-By Sven Grundberg, Dow Jones Newswires; +46-8-5451-3098; [email protected]

online.wsj.com...

Swedish prosecutor orders Assange arrest in absence

(CNN) -- Sweden's director of public prosecutions asked the Stockholm Criminal Court on Thursday to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on probable cause, suspected of rape, sexual molestation and illegal use of force.

"The background is that he has to be heard in this investigation and we haven't been able to get a hold of him to question him," Marianne Ny said in a statement.

Assange faces five counts that appear related to two incidents, according to the request Ny filed with the court.

He faces one count of rape and one count of sexual molestation related to an instance around August 17 in Enkoping, just outside Stockholm. He then faces two counts of sexual molestation between August 13 and 18 in Stockholm, and one count of illegal use of force between August 13 and 14, also in the capital.

Assange could be sentenced to at least two years in prison if convicted, according to the document.

It is the first time authorities have mentioned probable cause. The molestation charge, previously mentioned in the case, has also been upgraded to sexual molestation.

edition.cnn.com...

edit on 18-11-2010 by Chevalerous because: Something could be rotten in the state of Sweden!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Wasn't he already charged, and the charges dropped. Are these those same charges again? Once again being issued in his absence?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
People seem to be discounting the possibility that there may be some truth to these claims.

It may seem a bit coincidental or ''convenient''.

These are allegations of a serious crime, and if Swedish prosecutors have enough evidence to charge him with, then he should have to face the full weight of the judicial process, the same as anybody else would.

Edit to add: Having read further, I see that they just want to question him, rather than charge him, but my original point still remains.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Yeah! this case with some crazy & complicated Swedish Laws is very far away from being any crystal clear ordinary "rape" case!

And the current female Prosecutor reopened the case soley based on the very weak stories from the two women involved, who already admitted that they both had voluntary sex with Assange.

I wrote a thread in the end of August with some background information about one of the women involved in this case, and she and her motives are very suspicious indeed.

Radical Feminist Woman Involved In The False Rape Charge Against Julian Assange In Sweden

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

Two days before the allegations against Mr Assange were made public in August, he had applied for a work and residency permit in Sweden, where some of WikiLeaks' servers are located, but his application was turned down on October 18.

Now we know why.
Divide Wiki and assange, divide and conquer.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Statement by Julian Assange's counsel Mark Stephens

We are now concerned that prosecutor Marianne Ny intends to apply for an arrest warrant in an effort to have Mr. Assange forcibly taken to Sweden for preliminary questioning. Despite his right to silence, my client has repeatedly offered to be interviewed, first in Sweden, and then in the UK (including at the Swedish Embassy), either in person or by telephone, videoconferencing or email and he has also offered to make a sworn statement on affidavit. All of these offers have been flatly refused by a prosecutor who is abusing her powers by insisting that he return to Sweden at his own expense to be subjected to another media circus that she will orchestrate.

Whole statement

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

That about sums up what I suspected. It is a direct attempt to discredit and disassemble Wikileaks by big money/big government.

They are trying to make a storm out of something, just because he represents a controversial organization.

Any other person and we wouldn't hear a damn thing about any of this.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Here we go again
www.bbc.co.uk...

They are really trying to get Julian these days.

This is strange, didn't they drop the charges when it came to light there was no rape it was just two women he slept with within days of each other. When they both learned of it they hatched a plot to discredit him and made a ragged story up.
That's his side of the story according to a newspaper which takes his side...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
And the current female Prosecutor reopened the case soley based on the very weak stories from the two women involved, who already admitted that they both had voluntary sex with Assange.

How are you or I to know the full details of the accusers' stories ? Are you privy to the full statements that they made ?

Somebody agreeing to have voluntary sex with someone, doesn't rule out the possibility of rape or molestation.

I'm not saying whether he's guilty or innocent of these charges, it's just that all too often people form an opinion on someone's guilt or innocence purely from their own personal bias and/or because of excerpts of unverified information that they may read in newspapers or on a website.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
2010-11-18 15:15:

The District Court of Stockholm has now decided to detain Mr Assange in his absence.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well when this occurred months ago, the charges where dropped when he gave the US government (I wonder how this had anything to do with Sweden or his alleged "victims" by the way) access to online documents. And then when he released them to the public, the charges were put up again.

Coincidence! I doubt it.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Trumped up charges to silence someone are nothing new. They use it all the time.

I hope he has got something good in that insurance file.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join