It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter Held For Questioning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Antimatter Held For Questioning

www.nature.com

Now a research collaboration at CERN, Europe's particle-physics lab near Geneva, Switzerland, has managed, 38 times, to confine single antihydrogen atoms in a magnetic trap for more than 170 milliseconds. The group reported the result in Nature online on 17 November1. "We're ecstatic. This is five years of hard work," says Jeffrey Hangst, spokesman for the ALPHA collaboration at CERN.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod note: Must use the same headline as the story source in Breaking Alternative News
edit on 18/11/10 by argentus because: title change

edit on 18/11/10 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
That is huge! The antimatter is produced into the CERN and trapped like in the novel of Dan Brown “Angels and Demons”...
But this time By real and for the first time!
It was not never happened up to now of being able to directly study the matter that has opposite characteristics to those of the ordinary matter, as if it reflected it in a mirror.

Huge future implications. For sure!

Are we on the edge of a New Age?

www.nature.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-11-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Bring a particle of antimatter into contact with its matter counterpart and the two annihilate in a flash of energy

What if someone sneezed on the 'Anti-sneeze matter'
Then kabhoom xD

Anyways,
Me thinks this is dangerous.
We measure the anti matter with something right?
What if the Anti-matter, is being measured by the matter counterpart?

Supernova explosion?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
is an antimatter atom just like a regular atom except it's ... inverted spatially?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

We do not enven be sure that antimatters existo, so guessing behavior or structure is kinda pointless :

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I am not so sure this is a wonderful achievement as it does not sound to me like it has any practical uses. Other than of course destroying things since it does kind of sound like anti-matter, would react with matter violently.

Which makes you kind of wonder what matter did to get anti-matter so upset with it, did it not call when it was late one night, or did it forget an anniversary or a birthday?

Why is it we seem so focused on destruction instead of creation, war instead of peace, death instead of life?

I wonder how many billions they have spent to study this stuff for a second here a second there.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by above
reply to post by prevenge

We do not enven be sure that antimatters existo, so guessing behavior or structure is kinda pointless :

Your post is wrong.

YOU do not enven be sure that antimatters existo, so guessing behavior or structure is kinda pointless :

edit on 18-11-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Thread already here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
OP Title is misleading. This is NOT the first time they have contained anti-matter. But it's still a leap forward.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

No practical uses?! What about clean energy production at extremely high levels?

The hydrogen in a glass of water could probably power a city for ages if it was introduced to anti hydrogen particles. The problem is storing the anti-matter and controlling the flow of particles to mutually anihillate under contolled reaction to harness the energy.

And yes, we do know anti-matter exists, as this article proves. How else could they have trapped it?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Personally i think this stuff has already been done, and its just public science that moves so slowly.

Who knows how far ahead real science is behind the scenes.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

By that logic art is destructive because of how it is used to propagandize viewpoints.

Are you serious? Really, no practical uses except destruction?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Ummm....

Limitless, clean energy is one use.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Ummm....

Limitless, clean energy is one use.

Of course, a bloody great bomb is another!
At least the area wouldn't be radioactive for years after though.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Warp Drive - here we come!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Hehe yeah I actually had a mental image of a whopping great space-explosion while I typed it.

***Someone important speaking at the opening ceremony of Acme Antimatter Power Plant***

"It gives me great pleasure to push this here little red button and usher in a new era of human existance with clean, limitless free energy......"

**Pushes little red button**

KafrakkinBOOM

I'm done now, I promise

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join