It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update - Mother Sues After 8 Year Old Son Kicked & Handcuffed By Police At School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Could not find any former post.
This happened last year but update is the mother is sueing.
Just can't figure out why it took a 13 months to sue.
Police are tough when they can beat down an 8 year old. SHAME PORTLAND POLICE SHAME.

www.upi.com...

PORTLAND, Ore., Nov. 16 (UPI) -- An Oregon woman is suing her son's former elementary school for an incident in which she says the 8-year-old was kept in handcuffs for at least a half hour.
Leslie Vincent's lawsuit, which was filed last Friday, says her son, now 9, was assaulted and falsely imprisoned in October 2009, The Portland Oregonian reported. She said he was the victim of discrimination against the handicapped because he had been diagnosed with ADHD.
"School should be a safe and happy place for your child," Vincent said Monday. "He shouldn't be restrained or locked out of classrooms or secluded from other kids because of behavior that is part of a disability."
The trouble began, Vincent said, when a teacher shut the boy out of the classroom because he was disruptive, leaving him in the hall with no supervision. Eventually, a police officer kicked him, causing him to fall on the ground, and then handcuffed him.
Vincent admits her son has a history of behavioral problems and has been diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder.
The suit -- filed in federal court in Portland -- names three members of the faculty at the Highland Elementary School in Gresham, Gresham Police Officer James Seymour and the Gresham-Barlow School Board.

edit on 18-11-2010 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Another story of abuse.

An 8 year old might be handcuffed, because that might frighten them enough to behave, but the police officer who kicked this boy should be up for assault.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Who knows what really went on here, but your title is misleading. I read your source and another article. The officer did NOT kick him...he swept his legs out from under him. This is something you do to quickly take control of someone. I am in no way speaking for or against the actions, because I don't know what happened... but the mother is not claiming he was 'kicked'.

Mom sues school over son's handcuffing

That is the title from your quoted article.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I don't know, I'd call that physically assaulting an 8 year old, no matter what, there was no excuse for any physical stuff like that.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

An adult officer does not need to 'sweep' the legs out from under an 8 year old.

It was assault, pure and simple.

This is a police cover-up for brutality, as usual.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Who knows what really went on here, but your title is misleading.
I read your source and another article. The officer did NOT kick him...he swept his legs out from under him. This is something you do to quickly take control of someone. I am in no way speaking for or against the actions, because I don't know what happened... but the mother is not claiming he was 'kicked'.

Mom sues school over son's handcuffing

That is the title from your quoted article.

From source

The suit -- filed in federal court in Portland -- names three members of the faculty at the Highland Elementary School in Gresham, Gresham Police Officer James Seymour and the Gresham-Barlow School Board.

Please notice the police officer is named in the suit,

a police officer kicked him, causing him to fall on the ground, and then handcuffed him.

Please note again, the story claims kicked him causing him to fall to the ground. If a police officer cannot physically control an 8 year old without kicking him, he shouldn't be on the force. Even sweeping with legs as a take down move is still kicking. Plus story doesn't say sweeping, it says he kicked the kid causing him to fall.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Yes.. The only good cop is a dead cop..I wonder how you would handle without a single law enforcement agency in your country. Yeah, there may be assholes in the force. Ironically, you still need them.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

She said he was the victim of discrimination against the handicapped because he had been diagnosed with ADHD.

HAHAHA, ADHD. thats about as real as the tooth fairy. kids are hyper, its a fact. some kids just need discipline.

Vincent admits her son has a history of behavioral problems and has been diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder.

and another fake "disorder". i must have the same thing because i dont take crap from anyone. what kind of meds can you give me doc? sounds like the kid just needs a belt or slotted paddle applied to his behind.

edit on 18-11-2010 by bismos because: 星

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Yes, we definitely need police.

There are a lot of good police, and we need them.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
That original article is so hopeless it's not funny. It's talks about the kid's behaviour and then makes it sound like the cop was just walking past and decided to take him down out of interest.

We need more facts. Who knows what the kid was doing at the time. He might have been attacking another student.

We don't know and until we do know perhaps you lot need to take a deep breath and have a think?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
DId anyone take the time to do a simple search for another source?

He was out in the school hallway throwing chairs and wouldn't stop when the officer told him to.

Have any of you ever worked with emotionally disturbed, violent kids? I have had many bruises, bites and been spit on by these 'poor little kids'. There is specific training for how to do a 'take down' and control them when they are like this (it's called SECURE training). It is for their own safety and the other kids around them. He wasn't injured.

If you were a parent of one of the other kids at that school and they got hit and hurt by one of those chairs he was throwing, you would probably be sueing the cop for NOT doing enough.

As for the dead cop comments, you are sick. You like threatening cops? Good luck with that.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
DId anyone take the time to do a simple search for another source?

He was out in the school hallway throwing chairs and wouldn't stop when the officer told him to.

Have any of you ever worked with emotionally disturbed, violent kids? I have had many bruises, bites and been spit on by these 'poor little kids'. There is specific training for how to do a 'take down' and control them when they are like this (it's called SECURE training). It is for their own safety and the other kids around them. He wasn't injured.

If you were a parent of one of the other kids at that school and they got hit and hurt by one of those chairs he was throwing, you would probably be sueing the cop for NOT doing enough.

I too have worked with children whom have psychiatric problems, emotionally disturbed, and behavioral problems. I also have a 14 year old son who is autistic.

The truth is NO ONE needs to hand cuff an 8 year old!!!! Especially one who is disabled. There are techniques involved that will completely subdue almost any child without the use of handcuffs! One is the basket technique which is a simple holding technique! Why would you have a police officer intervene with a disabled child that he had no experience in dealing with. There are trained professionals in place in the school equipped to handle these situations.

I am sorry bu the officer did not know what he was doing and I would consider a suit as well!! Here's a message, you want to work with Kids? Take some time and educate yourself in how to foster a relationship not just inflict control!!!

As for the dead cop comments, you are sick. You like threatening cops? Good luck with that.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
There are trained professionals in place in the school equipped to handle these situations.

Clearly there wasn't if they called the police or the police had to attend?

I'm not one of these persons that will say oh the child needed a good flogging. People just aren't qualified to make statements such as this, and nor am I. However, I will say that the police office likely doesn't deserve to have his life ruined with a charge of assaulting a minor or police brutality.

The office was likely an ordinary man caught in a situation he didn't expect trying to help as best he could. Honestly, I don't think cops sit in their offices rubbing their hands together with glee when a call comes through to confront a child. I think if anything they start filling out job applications and develop post dramatic stress over persons accusing them of monolithic evil acts.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I agree that an 8-year-old child doesn't deserve to be handcuffed. But the reality is, MOST schools do NOT have programs in place to correctly deal with these kinds of children. I know and have seen this first hand, believe me. It is a huge problem and not fair to the disabled kids, the other kids in the school or the staff. The other articles I read claimed that this young child who was out of control was sent out into the hallway by himself and LOCKED out of the room. He was out there by himself, unable to get back in so lost it compleletly and started throwing furniture. The staff, not knowing what to do called the police.

Now, you have to understand. There IS training available (SECURE) on how to subdue a child without harming them. However, this is a specialized course not given to regular teachers, and certainly NOT to police. When police are called to intervene, you have to realize that they are going to respond how they are trained to respond. They are NOT trained to subdue someone is the SECURE manner. They are trained to do takedowns in the fastest, most affective way to avoid harm to themselves and bystanders. That is all this officer did. He didn't do anything wrong from his end of the deal. The child was NOT hurt. He may have been hurt though if the officer had NOT intervened, or he may have hurt someone else. I don't care if he was 8 years old. Have you seen a truely out of control child? They are incredibly stong for their size and CAN cause harm, espiecially if they are hurling furniture around. As to the cuffing...you wouldn't think it neccessary to cuff a child. NO. BUT...we do NOT know what the real situation was. In an environment suited to this type of behavior, you have what is called secured room, or a SAFE room. It is basically a small room with padded walls and a locking door with a small plexiglass window. With an 8 year old, two adults would use SECURE holds to transport (carry) the out of control child into the room. They would hold them in a four-point restraint on the floor of the room (with the door closed so the screaming won't bother other kids) until the child was calm enough to leave them alone in the locked room. They would then have to be calm for a certain amount of time to allow the door to be opened. Once they again remain calm enough with the door open, they are then allowed out of the room and back into the classroom.

THAT is the process with these kids. As horrible and ugly as it may seem, it is often the only way they can function in any manner in society outside thier home. Obviously this school did/does not have this capability so the officer was left to do the only option he had. It is NOT realistic to expect an officer to sit on the floor bear-hugging a child in his lap for half an hour until the parent came. There would be much more possibility of harm that way.

I would imagine the reason why it is a year later and being filed in civil rather than criminal court is because a judge refused to hear it. There was no wrong doing. It is sad, but that is just the reality of it.

If anything, it is a good wake-up call that 'normal' schools are ill-equiped to handle children with special needs.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Regardless of how rowdy he was being, putting him in handcuffs was ridiculous. A time-out or writing lines is a more appropriate punishment at that age. Apparently, even small children are regarded as mouthy punks by cops these days.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Regardless of how rowdy he was being, putting him in handcuffs was ridiculous. A time-out or writing lines is a more appropriate punishment at that age. Apparently, even small children are regarded as mouthy punks by cops these days.

You are soooooo naive.
You have no idea of how wild some of these kids can get.
He was throwing chairs and you think he would write lines? Like what?
What makes you think he would go along with the"time out"?
He wouldn't even stop his activities when the cop asked him to.

I wish you many experiences with such children.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

OhZone's right about the handcuffing. You may not agree with it and it does sound harsh. I've worked with kids that when theyre in the heat of a fit they scratch their faces until they bleed, they bite their arms drawing blood, they bang their heads against the wall. You cant just talk a child like this out of a full blown episode, sometimes it makes the situation worse. It's horrible to do to a child, it hurts the heart but steps have to be taken for their own protection as well. I worked with a young boy who tried to stab me with a pencil. Ive had my hair pulled, spit at and a fractured wrist. When he couldnt get to me he stabbed himself in the head??!! What is one to do when faced with a situation like this? Is it pleasant? No. Is it necessary? Sometimes. You dont have to throw em down or choke em out, kick em or punch em but u do have an obligation to not only protect them but to protect yourself and others. It's a shame, it's not perfect. What else is there?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by YourPopRock

Yes.. The only good cop is a dead cop..I wonder how you would handle without a single law enforcement agency in your country. Yeah, there may be assholes in the force. Ironically, you still need them.

People need cops?

Since when?

People need oxygen. People need water.

People do not need a constant irritation who has been given the power to end someones life and get away with it. People do not need someone whose only goal is to raise revenue for the jurisdiction.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

If that's true,she deserves the lives of the men that did it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join