It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto homeowner ordered to stop parking in her own driveway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Toronto homeowner ordered to stop parking in her own driveway

news.guelphmercury.com

Despite assurances that a new parking bylaw would be grandfathered, an East York woman found a yellow notice on her windshield warning that her car could be fined or towed for being illegally parked in her own driveway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Toronto seems to be going south as per what you can and can't do on your own property it is a crazy bylaw but what happens if the garage is full or there are other reasons you can't park in the driveway?

This does strip some rights of the owner since being her property they should be able to park in the driveway instead of in the garage, we had to for quite but this by-law doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

news.guelphmercury.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
SOme cars that park downtown, or near it, require a special yellow tag with house number to prove they live their and have ability to park in the zone.

Chances are this was the case and she didn't have one.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I still can't stop laughing.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

I can't wait until they try this crap where I live.

They should bring back the Tar and Feathers.

Politicians and Sex offenders are just about Co-Equils now.

They both are scum of the earth and they try to ( insert explative here ) everyone they can.

And the best part is we just let them ..... It's all our fault.

Wake up and Invest in rope.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Another case of lawmakers unaware of what they are voting for.

Many councillors admitted they weren’t aware that they voted in favour of limiting the number of vehicles that can be parked on a residential driveway because the restrictions were buried in nearly 5,000 pages of regulations and maps that make up the city’s harmonized zoning document.

news.guelphmercury.com...

What a stupid law. So if you have a one car garage you can only park one vehicle in the driveway even if it is long enough to park several cars? Who thinks this stuff up?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
5,000 pages? Dang, that's worse than the Obamacare Bill. Guess Canadian politicians don't read the bills either.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There needs to be a rule stating that politicians must prove they have read a bill before being allowed to vote on it.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just so you guys know, Canadian politicians can apply for their positions by only paying $10 to a party. They do not require an education in politics because it is experience with the public that gets them elected. So therefore the best way to pass laws in Canada is to use long and complex language that only a few are smart enough to interpret.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Just to clarify this stupid new law in Toronto, the rule is that if the driveway is "built" to fit 2 cars, a person cannot park 3 cars there (even if they fit). The law is grandfathered so I'm sure that so long as this woman can prove she usually parks in the driveway, she'll be fine.

Toronto is so cash-strapped that they want people to buy parking permits rather than squeeze an extra car on your own property.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think every city has a random by-law that makes no sense in Kanata just out side of Ottawa there is a by-law that states "one cannot hang laundry outside on ones own property". There was one law I read in some fact book that there is a city in the states that says you cannot eat an orange in your bathtub on Sunday. This is just some person who got a petition and forced a by-law about it because they didn't like how their street looked.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is something that happens all the time.

The fact that the grandfathered by law means nothing to the cops or enforcement people.
They are out to write tickets and are not about to worry about grandfathered people.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
This is something that happens all the time.

The fact that the grandfathered by law means nothing to the cops or enforcement people.
They are out to write tickets and are not about to worry about grandfathered people.

Do you even know how the grandfathering system works? It is if you follow a system for a long time, and the rules change, you can still continue to do what you've always done in the first place

For example, firearms licensing. If you're a Canadian who had a legally owned AK-47 in the 80s, you could still keep it after the FSC/PAL prohibited restrictions during the 90s; otherwise, you're SOL for acquiring a legal automatic rifle in Canada.

So in other words, the woman can keep parking in her spot without hassle because its part of our customary constitution, which means Canadians have rules that are understood personally and not always written in legislation. Thus the cops/by-law rentacops are douchebags with no respect or moral obligations.
edit on 17-11-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
SOme cars that park downtown, or near it, require a special yellow tag with house number to prove they live their and have ability to park in the zone.

Chances are this was the case and she didn't have one.

Even if that's the case what about if her parents come for a weekend visit? They wouldn't have that note so would it be illegal to park on their daughters driveway? Parking on a driveway should only be illegal if you park on someones driveway without permission imho.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
madneess really is........... i sometimes think these stupid laws in USA and UK are done by enemy nations putting their people into enemy goverments to pass laws that only help mess up the enemy nation.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It is messed up what city councils do, even the local city council in Guelph seems to be up to something when you get high up people leaving for other cities to work. But Toronto is usually a different case, I do wonder what the charter of rights has to say, I know if its anything like the constitution and amendments in the US its pretty much a sheet of paper as well.

top topics

join