It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis scratch 'n' sniff cards given to Dutch citizens to catch drug growers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Cannabis scratch

www.news.com.au

IN A novel bid to combat illegal cannabis cultivation, Dutch authorities start handing out 30,000 scratch 'n' sniff cards with a marijuana scent so citizens can tell if their neighbours are growing something they shouldn't.

"Citizens must be alerted to the dangers they face as a result of these plantations, and if they become aware of any suspect situations they must report them," Arnie Loos, spokesman for a government-appointed working group on cannabis cultivation, said in the port city of Rotterdam.

Read more: www.news.com.au...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-11-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Scratch and SNITCH if any thing

Sorry had to add that in! But what does every one here think? Is this for the greater good? Or are we just turning into a culture of dobbers? Kids told to report parents, neighbours reporting each other. Maybe it is opening the flood gates to much bigger issues?

www.news.com.au

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well I hope they also explain that azaleas as well as some other plants can smell very similar

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

Cannabis scratch

www.news.com.au

IN A novel bid to combat illegal cannabis cultivation, Dutch authorities start handing out 30,000 scratch 'n' sniff cards with a marijuana scent so citizens can tell if their neighbours are growing something they shouldn't.

"Citizens must be alerted to the dangers they face as a result of these plantations, and if they become aware of any suspect situations they must report them," Arnie Loos, spokesman for a government-appointed working group on cannabis cultivation, said in the port city of Rotterdam.

Read more: www.news.com.au...

edit on 17-11-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

Your link did not work so put him in .

www.news.com.au...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Kind of rediculous I think. What do they really hope to achieve with this? Catching someone who was growing a medicinal herb in there back yard? Obviously posing a major threat to the neighbor. Pfffff, waste of money and sends a untruthful message in my opinion. They should be focusing on the real problems with harmful drugs that actually may affect neighborhoods. They should be focusing on real crimes.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Wouldn't dogs be a more effective approach? Really though, its only marijuana. I am from BC, Canada right near Vancouver, everyone I know basically smokes pot. I don't smoke things, bad for the health but I do enjoy the smell. Perhaps the gov't will hire me to track em down with my nose
haha

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 17-11-2010 by anthbes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Dangers??? I know, right, because those damn marijuana plants just may explode, damn they are dangerous LOL. I do have to say, the scratch and sniff cards are pretty clever though.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If the police tried that here where I live, I would go out of my way to protect my neighbor simply because of how disgusting that is. Going out of their way to try to get neighbor to turn on neighbor, friend on friend. Encouraging the entire populace to become snitches.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What you guys have failed to see is that this is the Dutch government. Amsterdam resides in the Netherlands, and plays host to the most unique cannabis shops in the world---Coffeeshops. Why in the world would the Dutch government send out scratch and sniff cards so that citizens can identify the smell of cannabis in the one place in the world ANYONE can walk into a shop and purchase a few grams for personal, recreational, use? The answer is, the new conservative government has decided to reverse successful Dutch cannabis policy after all these years for no good reason.

Yes friends, Amsterdam is soon to be closed for business.
edit on 11/17/10 by stalphos because: Grammatical errors.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I thought the Dutch were quite relaxed about drugs.

What have I missed?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stalphos

No this is not the issue here... as most of you guys know Cannabis is a legal commodity here, it's allowed to be sold in coffeeshops...One can even grow up to 5 plants per household legally. However.. The whole problem is that it is still very illegal for coffeeshops to buy cannabis. This is the weird thing. Selling the stuff is OK but buying the stuff so they can actualy sell some to customers ALWAYS is an illegal action. On paper, coffeeshops should not be able to do bussiness because they shouldn't be able to buy the stuff... in effect this also means that mass-growing of cannabis is also outlawed and a hefty fine is given to anyone who attempts this. On the other hand its supossed to be VERY lucrative to grow a crop of cannabis... Hence the abundance of cannabis available...
edit on 17/11/2010 by faceoff85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

Ok, this is ridiculous.

Cannibis is in coffee shops, but they can't buy it?

Oh, man, I wish your government would get real!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Next will be scratch and sniff cards that smell like fish to catch Hookers.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Ok, this is ridiculous.

Cannibis is in coffee shops, but they can't buy it?

Oh, man, I wish your government would get real!

This is exactly it... In essence the authorities "dont know where that weed comes from". But since they make a good profit because of coffeeshops having to pay incometax it is somewhat allowed, only the supliers are prosecuted and hunted...
They are debating on wether to make growing weed legal because of the massive amounts of money the government could make on it...
Pretty sickening. Everything boils down to PROFIT.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Already posted

Scratch & Sniff Narc Neighbours

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This is just going to allow the growers time to escape.

Best play it safe and call in an drone strike on the whole neighbourhood as soon as possible after the informant makes his drop.

It's a war you know - A WAR ON DRUGS

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
This is just going to allow the growers time to escape.

Best play it safe and call in an drone strike on the whole neighbourhood as soon as possible after the informant makes his drop.

It's a war you know - A WAR ON DRUGS

WRONG!!!! Its a war on profit for wich no taxes are paid!!!!!!

2nd

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Get outta here with your....

...your commen sense and stuff!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

The horrible thing is that all governments are corrupt and they are all into money.

Can't you ask your Dutch goverment why they are so bad?

I mean - it is OK for coffee shops to serve cannabis, but it is not OK for someone to grow it?

That means that the government is growing it and making millions.

Front up to them - I dare you - I would!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join