It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compensation For Ex-Guantanamo Prisoners

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Compensation For Ex-Guantanamo Prisoners

news.sky.com

Compensation which could total millions of pounds is to be paid out to around a dozen former detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Sky sources say.

The controversial move comes after the Government agreed to settle a series of High Court actions brought by a group of the ex-prisoners.

Some of those thought to be receiving money have accused British security and intelligence officials of colluding in their torture and abuse while they were held abroad.

There are also claims the Government knew they were being illegally transferred there but failed to stop it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

CX

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
As the article says, this is a very controversial move by our government.

If these detainees were indeed tortured, then i agree they should be entitled to compensation. I mean we would expect nothing less if our troops were put through the same treatment.

Many questions will be asked now. Unless i am reading it wrong, a payout is either an admission of guilt or pay-off to shut someone up.

Just a shame that the troops our government send to war, have to battle for years to get even a fraction of what will be paid out to these detainees. :down:

CX.

news.sky.com

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

As the article says, this is a very controversial move by our government.

If these detainees were indeed tortured, then i agree they should be entitled to compensation. I mean we would expect nothing less if our troops were put through the same treatment.

Many questions will be asked now. Unless i am reading it wrong, a payout is either an admission of guilt or pay-off to shut someone up.

Just a shame that the troops our government send to war, have to battle for years to get even a fraction of what will be paid out to these detainees. :down:

CX.

news.sky.com

I guess the problem is, if these detainee's were innocent? Had they been convicted of any crimes? Had they been involved in acts of terrorism or just caught up like many who were sent to Guantanamo.

I agree it is wrong we dont look after our troops, but if we have been torturing innocent people at Guantanamo any compensation is deserved.

new topics

join