It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Castle councilman calls cops on boys' cupcake sale

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kilber

The council-member missed a "learning opportunity" and acted the elitist jerk, in the process. Everything about this situation could have been handled differently and provided those kids both an example and an opportunity in doing business by the rules.

At the very least, the council-member should be made well aware of the poor decision and an example be made of him. This is not an elected official operating on "behalf of the people" and the town should take note.

edit on 15-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What a jerk that guy is.... I remember some sourpuss called the cops on my for putting flyers in mailboxes advertizing that I would mow lawns, rake leaves and shovel snow for cash when I was a kid. God forbid a kid tries to earn a few bucks, jeez.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kilber

You're kidding, right? Your post underlies the entire problem - that there is a statute which governs kids selling cup cakes, lemonade or some person having a yard sale. If you define abiding by a statute the issue, when do you question the legitimacy of a given statute? Does some paper-pushing, egomanic council person have the right to infringe on your personal freedom in any manner he//she chooses?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Not saying it's right but it is against the law to put anything in a mailbox that isn't U.S. mail, did you know when you buy a mailbox and once you put it up it no longer belongs to you but to government, that makes me angry they should be buying everyone a mailbox. Oh and you can also be fined for destroying a mailbox...

As for the opeining post this makes me sick.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by Kilber

You're kidding, right? Your post underlies the entire problem - that there is a statute which governs kids selling cup cakes, lemonade or some person having a yard sale. If you define abiding by a statute the issue, when do you question the legitimacy of a given statute? Does some paper-pushing, egomanic council person have the right to infringe on your personal freedom in any manner he//she chooses?

No, my post underlines the facts.

I don't understand why people think the "Council member" is responsible for taking the required action. Someone saw something that was wrong, and reported it. The police responded and did what was required by the law.

There's a proper way to object to things and saying "-Snip- you, tyrant" doesn't always get the best responses. Do I agree with the statute? Maybe. But I'm not entirely educated on the specific statutes involved.

Now, if this was on their "PRIVATE" property, that would be different. Unfortunately, they are running their bake sale as a public business in a public place. I do find it atrocious that some cities require people to have permits for personal sales on private properties (garage/yard sales).

Now my question is this... Should there be an age limit on individuals required to get a permit? What will it be? Do permits help?

edit on Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:57:27 -0600 by MemoryShock because: Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kilber

It seems that the default from the government's perspective is that you need a permit for just about anything. The default should be that you don't need a permit for anything unless there is a compelling need and that need should be a serious public interest. These bogus statutes only serve to place the yoke of government on people and look to extract an ounce of flesh out of the public. They generate some "public interest" manufactured out of thin air to think they are actually performing some kind of half-baked public service.

Interesting that the government is interested in shutting down a cup cake stand. I wonder what the same city council would do if 1000 transgendered, illegals decended on the town center for a protest for additional rights without a permit to assemble. Would he have the guts to send the cops in to shut that down? I strongly doubt it.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I say we bring this up to 4chan and see if we can release the hounds on this councilmember...

That, or we could come up with an official "ATS Prick of the Week" award and make this councilmember the first official receipient!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Kilber

Interesting that the government is interested in shutting down a cup cake stand. I wonder what the same city council would do if 1000 transgendered, illegals decended on the town center for a protest for additional rights without a permit to assemble. Would he have the guts to send the cops in to shut that down? I strongly doubt it.

That happens every day in Kalifornia, and today the court upheld the right for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS to obtain Federal grants and tuition assistance, while other "legal" students are facing 30% education hikes.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm reminded of the kid in school who was the hall monitor between class bells. His job was to wander the school and tattle on anyone he found in the halls without a pass.

He didn't do it because he thought it was the right thing to do or because it was an easy grade. He did it to get back at everyone because he wasn't popular. He would go to the nth degree and screw anyone he could as a form of revenge. It had nothing to do with "the law" or "the rules." It was about petty ego.

Sure. you can go out there and play Barney Fife so that you can ruin a 12 year olds day. It's all legal, but is it right?
Is it in any way common sense or maturity being shown? No. It's just childish petty games that are being played by people who never grew up. These are the type of people who suffer from such deep self loathing that they look at themselves in the mirror and spit.

No, you don't have to let the kids slide and make a few bucks on a lemonade stand or a cupcake sale. You don't have to grow up and get the big picture either. Never mind that the rest of the world is a freakshow and the people you put in office are screwing you for trillions. Forget about all of that and get out there to find some kids that you can harrass over a stinking cupcake sale. That's the way to show the world you won't be pushed around.

Hang on to that petty, myopic attitude. It looks great on you.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rightuos

I liked that story, it made me laugh.

Nice slap in the face to the idiot that
turned you in.

Life must be pretty crappy for these
People that target little kids spirit.

Very Sad Indeed !

Peace

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

We had a kid like that when I was in middle school. We broke into his gym locker and lathered his jock with bengay. About 15 minutes into gym he got the message. He was a bit more low-key after that

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Yeah, they made that stupid ass law to make sure you pay for stamps... Screw that, why would anyone pay for stamps, to send stuff within walking distance lol.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Ah well, this depends on *which incident you're referring to. I just googled and multiple occasions have arisen all over the country. Because one was discussed on ATS does not reflect them all. Matter of fact, this happened in my area back in July (cops shut down the lemonaid stand for lack of permit) and there was a massive confrontation about it. The county chairman had to tell inspectors to stand down and apologized to the family. It is widespread.

I hate it when threads turn into an "I'm right no matter what" argument where people rely on google to supplement their past arguments with things they were hardly even aware of in the first place.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Sorry, your point is what, exactly?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Last month it was little girls and lemonaide today its young boys with cupcakes. We all need to feel comforted that our government has the right priorities.

The idiocy of this city council is not atypical. It is part and parcel to a govenment machine who feels they have the right to govern just about every aspect of your life and discourage initiative. Clearly it is about generating every dime it can from their "charges".

This is exactly the kind of nonsence that underscores the complete buffoonery of government at all levels.

www.lohud.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

no it isn't...it's about a few jackasses in a few towns. to paint the entire system of government as buffoons because of a few blowhards is as stupid as that city councilmen was.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Perhaps you have a point. How about you list basic items that government on all levels does well and we can use that as a starting point.

We won't even address the major items like competent fiscal management, large infrastructure efforts, education. You can start with one.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kilber

So the councilman calls the cops, can't handle a couple young kids?? Don't forget the taxpapers pay the cops wages. Seems to me all these jerks need to concentrate on crime, a terrible example to set for kids. Give me a break!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by Kilber

So the councilman calls the cops, can't handle a couple young kids?? Don't forget the taxpapers pay the cops wages. Seems to me all these jerks need to concentrate on crime, a terrible example to set for kids. Give me a break!!!

The councilmen has no authority. Why would he approach some kids that aren't even his? He's a stranger to them, why would they listen? I'm not sure what your point is about the tax payers and the cops wages...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join