It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Castle councilman calls cops on boys' cupcake sale

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

New Castle councilman calls cops on boys' cupcake sale

www.lohud.com

NEW CASTLE — When Andrew DeMarchis and Kevin Graff, two 13-year-olds from Chappaqua's Seven Bridges Middle School, set up shop at Gedney Park on a fall weekend last month, they were expecting a tidy profit.

New Castle Councilman Michael Wolfensohn came upon the sale and called the cops on the kids for operating without a license.

The boys, all of whom had bar mitzvahs this year, had done projects to benefit charities in the community, their parents said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Last month it was little girls and lemonaide today its young boys with cupcakes. We all need to feel comforted that our government has the right priorities.

The idiocy of this city council is not atypical. It is part and parcel to a govenment machine who feels they have the right to govern just about every aspect of your life and discourage initiative. Clearly it is about generating every dime it can from their "charges".

This is exactly the kind of nonsence that underscores the complete buffoonery of government at all levels.

www.lohud.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What a low life. Utter bullying, power-tripping, jobsworth jerk.

Poor kids, people complain when they are 'out of control' and then people complain when they get their act together and do something productive.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I couldn't agree with you more.

They shouldn't complain if these kids start spraying graffiti all over the place to protest, since they now have nothing better to do.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This happened to me when I was young. Some guy saw my yard sale sign and I guess was disappointed to find a 9 year old selling some old toys. He asked if I got a permit for the yard sale, of course I looked at him puzzled thinking "what?". He said he would call the police and left. Sure enough about 30 minutes later a cop car pulled up and 2 officers approached. They smiled bought a couple small things and left happy customers.

Amazes me how some peoples lives revolve around screwing people over no matter the age.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Now that the councilman has given them more exposure, they can now get a permit and set up shop and make more than they ever dreamed thanks to that d-bag. It would be a smart move on their part. They really could make a pretty penny if they do it right. Of course, should they benefit from this, they should continue raising money for charity.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rightuos

More than that, it amazes me how some people find it so very important that people go through the proper government channels and get proper government permission for anything. Including little boys selling cupcakes and little girls selling lemonade.

Ironically, American culture was built on giving the finger to any state-supremacist saying "papers please." How did we lose that spirit?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
*shakes head*
For the life of me I can not imagine what these jobsworths think they'll gain by being such saddos.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
What these boys were doing is THE example of what Free market economics is all about.
What this douche bag council member did is THE example of how government stifles that.

The good thing to come out of this is that there are now two more young people out there who understand why government is such a bad thing for grass roots business, and economic liberty.
edit on 15-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The laws are clear in this case, and the boys violated them. They were doing this to make a profit, in hopes of saving for a future restaraunt they want to open.

Why should these 12-13 year old boys be exept from certain statutes? It is a rule, that is in place, to generate income for the city and to keep food vendors from distributing poor product. Vote to change the laws in his area, if it's such a bother. Not to mention, the boys were operating their illegal cupcake syand in a public owned park. Why should they be allowed to make a profit on land paid for by taxpayers?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kilber

Yeah, this makes a whole lot of sense.

Why allow any kid to learn about business without shoving government BS down their throats?

I suppose with the economic environment we're creating for our kids it stands to reason that we should teach them that government will destroy their business and take all their money.

This kind of philosophy is the reason America is turning quickly into a banana republic.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Last month it was little girls and lemonaide today its young boys with cupcakes.

Ummm do you recall why police were called to the girls lemonade stand?
NOTHING to do with "not having a license", someone called because they saw the girl was dangerously close to a busy intersection.. Police said if she moved in back into her neighbourhood or front yard there would be no issue.

Seems ppl on ATS remember what they thought happened... not what did.

/sorry

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Ah well, this depends on *which incident you're referring to. I just googled and multiple occasions have arisen all over the country. Because one was discussed on ATS does not reflect them all. Matter of fact, this happened in my area back in July (cops shut down the lemonaid stand for lack of permit) and there was a massive confrontation about it. The county chairman had to tell inspectors to stand down and apologized to the family. It is widespread.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I encourage all to call the town hall of New Castle and ask to talk to the councilman. There are so many better ways to dealing with this, IF it was any problem at all.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
reply to post by dolphinfan

I encourage all to call the town hall of New Castle and ask to talk to the councilman. There are so many better ways to dealing with this, IF it was any problem at all.

Or flood the city council with calls for a resignation.

Some grown man calling the cops to act as economic enforcers for the city against a couple of kids should result in the resignation of this council member.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Ah well, this depends on *which incident you're referring to. I just googled and multiple occasions have arisen all over the country. Because one was discussed on ATS does not reflect them all. Matter of fact, this happened in my area back in July (cops shut down the lemonaid stand for lack of permit) and there was a massive confrontation about it. The county chairman had to tell inspectors to stand down and apologized to the family. It is widespread.

K sorry

I only remembered one.

My mistake. I withdrawl my comment.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Kilber

Yeah, this makes a whole lot of sense.

Why allow any kid to learn about business without shoving government BS down their throats?

I suppose with the economic environment we're creating for our kids it stands to reason that we should teach them that government will destroy their business and take all their money.

This kind of philosophy is the reason America is turning quickly into a banana republic.

So your suggestion is that we teach them to not do things the right way and avoid process? If anything, it teaches them the proper way to do buisness (at this time) in America.

What other laws do you think they should be exempt from?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kilber

I'm all for the rule of law. But unjust laws and ARBITRARY government regulation and enforcement is not just law. it is tyranny.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

The phone number for the township of New Castle is 914-238-4771. You could find this yourself by just googling Town of Newcastle NY. Hopefully by having it right here you will call and say something. The hours are 8:45 to 4:30pm EST

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You know not all cupcakes are equal. Were these boys selling 'dry' Betty Crocker, or Duncan Hine's cupcakes with canned frosting and hastily smattered sprinkles on top?

If so, I say flog them!

Now if they were selling delicious creamy pudding cupcakes, made from scratch with home butter creme icing, I say arrest them and confiscate the cupcakes.

I don't think we are asking the truly appropriate and critical questions to make a call here.

If the boys can really bake, then once in custody, I say put them to work in the jail kitchen, after all the staff has to eat too!

edit on 15/11/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join