It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire engulfs Shaghai building

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Fire engulfs Shaghai building

english.aljazeera.net

Deadly blaze breaks out in a 30-storey building in Shanghai,as witnesses report people leaping from windows to escape.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
At least 12 people are reported dead in this tragic accident.My thoughts and prayers go out to there families.
What really caught my eye about this first, is that its the first one I have seen in a high rise building since 9/11.
This is one hell of a fire to,I am going to put up a video to it that I just found..As far as I know the building is still standing.I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
As of 9:00, Beijing time, it's still burning and at least 20 people have now been reported as dead. Also it's being reported that the fire will most likely burn until as late a midnight. The fire crews are unable to do anything because the building is too high.

The cause of the fire was apparently from workers installing non flame-retardant insulation on the outside of the building. How the insulation caught fire hasn't been reported yet. However, safety standards aren't the zippiest in China sometimes so anything's possible. This building isn't new. It was being refurbished with everyone still living inside. This particular building was housing for retired school teachers who had worked in Jing An District.

They're saying that due to the age of most of the occupants, more deaths may result later from inhalation of smoke and toxic fumes. I know some people were trapped on the upper floors but haven't heard anything about 'jumpers' so far.

Here's a local forum about it with more pictures:

club.pchome.net...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
First my sincere condolences to all who were affected by this tragedy.

Now I am sure after the fire raged uncontrolled for over 6 hours the entire length and breadth of the building that the properties of "thermal expansion" must have come into play and caused a complete and total global collapse. Oh...wait a minute...you say it didn't collapse??? How can this be???

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
why isnt it imploding on itself?

i thought large buildings were supposed to implode from office fires?

that one seems to be doing fine.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

Gawd thats terrible..So many killed through shody work..
Then again they were probibly considered the lucky ones in china that lived in a nice unit...

I also wish people would lay off the 9/11 stuff..Have some compassion instead...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
so this is a steel framed building, and how long did it burn, and is it still standing? Just the questions I have to ask any time I hear of a tall building burning.. I have some notes typed up in book form, from a panel of "experts" that have a very interesting theory about burning steel framed buildings.. something about instantaneousness collapse to the ground.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
i find it hard to believe that chinese engineers can design an office-fire-implosion-proof building but then forget to install flame retardant insulation.

something doesnt add up.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Yes, this is truly a horrible tragedy indeed. Fortunately, this kind of thing rarely happens even though Shanghai has a massively dense infrastructure and is in a constant state of construction.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Sorry, but when I see a 30 storey building engulfed in flames for hours,and it has not collapsed in its own footprint,it makes me wonder..And I do have compassion!!,For all that have lost their lives!!Here and 9/11..

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Wow...I thought this thread was about the terrible tragedy of real people suffering, burning and dying in an major high-rise fire in China - in real time, no less.

But, I guess I am wrong. It is actually an occasion for ATS 9/11 theorists to trade yuk yuks about whatever the circumstances were about the incident at the World Trade Center.

Yes, you are all so clever. Ha...Ha...Ha

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

Now I am sure after the fire raged uncontrolled for over 6 hours the entire length and breadth of the building that the properties of "thermal expansion" must have come into play and caused a complete and total global collapse. Oh...wait a minute...you say it didn't collapse??? How can this be???

Because nobody ran a fuel tank into it... Duh

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Those poor poor people. caged in hell
How can TPTB sit back knowing they can't help people who live in high rise buildings?
Truly awful.... I guess there were no fire escapes, no sprinkers, no fire extinguishers, no alarms, no fire blankets... etc etc.... Such a tragedy.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

I wasn't aware the building was hit by a plane...what time did it happen?
Seriously, there are certainly some strange circumstances surrounding WTC 1 and 2, but unless the building in China was hit by a plane and constructed the same way as the WTC and 110 stories tall, I don't think its a fair comparison.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

No one ran a "fuel tank" into WTC7 dbl duh. Real people died in real time on 9/11 and continue to die in wars justified by that event. How many American, Iraqi and Afghan people have died because of those wars?? No I am not yucking it up by any means.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This building, like many in China, has a massive footprint as it has 500 apartments in it. This would probably explain why it is still standing. You can't really get a feel of the sheer scale of the building sizes here from pictures sometimes.

The massive building size and number of occupants makes this even more horrific.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I fully expect to see the top of the building crease and the building to fall straight down into its own foundations, get thoses people out of there

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Not being clever is the closest applicable fire to compare WT7 to, this looks to be a much bigger blaze and I would bet my right let the building will not collapse. I pray for the people trapped inside however you cannot blame us for comparing the two, this backs up what we have been saying for 9 years.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
reply to post by mobiusmale

Not being clever is the closest applicable fire to compare WT7 to, this looks to be a much bigger blaze and I would bet my right let the building will not collapse. I pray for the people trapped inside however you cannot blame us for comparing the two, this backs up what we have been saying for 9 years.

If you say so...however, it might be more appropriate if you all save your gloating or witty remarks until after the dying is done.

Even better if you wait for a proper amount of time to respect the mourning of those left behind.

Best...if you wait until some actual facts are in to support the mobs' tongue-in-cheek prattle, before trivializing the deaths of those involved in this actual - unrelated to 9/11 - tragedy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join