It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ripping on Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Let me ask you US Members one thing, why do you rip on Canada? Eh? Why? It's sad when I see US members rip on us... BTW I'm South African, and I made the move to Canada, not the US.

You want to know why I chose Canada? This place is the best fit for me. Sure, I could have gone to Aus or NZ, they are much closer to my culture - Rugby and Cricket! BUT Canada has it all! As a "Saffer" (South African) I enjoy the winters - we DON'T get snow in SA!

The Canadian people are the sh*t! They are friendly, polite, and willing to help you no matter what! If anyone wants to take a trip, holiday, come here.... Canada is awesome!

To all my Canuck ATS Members.... Guys and Girls..... Thank You for giving me a great new home.... and Thank You all for giving me a new life in this wonderful country!!

The uninformed US people can rip on us, ignorance is bliss eh? The informed US people, THX, You guys are great! CANADA & US - we fought in the past (Niagara, etc) we are eternal friends!

Long Live the Maple Leaf!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You know what? I have often wondered the same thing. I am a kiwi but i see on TV and in films all the time Americans taking the piss out of Canada and Canadians and i honestly don't know why. Some of these attacks on TV are quite cruel and i have often thought when I heard them that there must be some underlying reason. It is in a LOT of films and loads of TV programs so whats the deal? All the Canadians I know are great, and I can't wait to visit that beautiful country - and I bet their immigration officials at the airport are a lot friendlier than the American ones

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo
You know what? I have often wondered the same thing. I am a kiwi but i see on TV and in films all the time Americans taking the piss out of Canada and Canadians and i honestly don't know why. Some of these attacks on TV are quite cruel and i have often thought when I heard them that there must be some underlying reason. It is in a LOT of films and loads of TV programs so whats the deal? All the Canadians I know are great, and I can't wait to visit that beautiful country - and I bet their immigration officials at the airport are a lot friendlier than the American ones

Why do all Canadians think that the US is full of Canada bashing assholes?
It is in a LOT of films and loads of TV programs so whats the deal? All Americans I know are great.

See how that works?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

Oh.... Immigration officials were pretty tight and thorough with me. I liked that. I was legit, and so were they. Canada is a beautiful country! My brother was in NZ for 5 months, that joint is awesome looking! Where are you from? Auckland, Christchurch..? You do know SA and NZ are rugby foes? BUT on ATS, we are all friends

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
As an American who completely loves Canada, it confuses me as well. I think growing up in school, many people picked on Canada because they didn't know much about it, and it was fun to do. Perhaps some just didn't grow out of it?

I have been living with a Canadian in the USA for over 3 years now. As such, many conversations come up at work about where he's from, etc. You would have no idea how many people we have run into who think Canada is part of the USA. Many also aren't aware that Canada has any military at all. They gasp and giggle in disbelief when I mention that a Canadian burned down the white house a few centuries ago.

As an American student, I didn't learn much about Canada. I knew it was colder up there, and they had some awesome syrup. I knew we have the longest friendly border. And until I met my boyfriend, that's about all I knew. The sad part is that I came from one of the better schools.

As much as I would love to blame it on ignorance, I think it's just the sheer fact that not many Americans know anything about Canada aside from hockey or moose. Lack of teaching isn't ignorance. Not that I'm defending anything hate-filled toward Canada at all. I gladly combat any anti-Canadian banter I hear.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Ooh, touched a nerve there. No offence to you or America intended. I was just saying that I have noticed that attitude a lot in TV and films and it stood out to me. I do not remember seeing a lot of America bashing in Canadian films, maybe because I have not seen as many of them as i have American films. Who knows, I just though it interesting.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I didn't know I was supposed to be ripping on Canada so I guess I will have to start.

I could understand ragging on Canada if it was like North Korea or something but its not so I don't know why people make a fuss about it. I am glad that we have the neighbors that we have to the North.

Edit: DOH! Almost forgot.......Blame Canada!

edit on 14-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Whoa! I'm not bashing Americans! I'm merely stating what I have seen. Canada is a great place, and all I'm saying is that this country is the "bomb"! Canada rocks! The people here are awesome!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hosers.

link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus

I didn't know I was supposed to be ripping on Canada so I guess I will have to start.

I could understand ragging on Canada if it was like North Korea or something but its not so I don't know why people make a fuss about it. I am glad that we have the neighbors that we have to the North.

Edit: DOH! Almost forgot.......Blame Canada!

edit on 14-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

Oh damn, I didn't think the South Park movie would come up?!

Blame Canada!

link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by Segador

Whoa! I'm not bashing Americans! I'm merely stating what I have seen. Canada is a great place, and all I'm saying is that this country is the "bomb"! Canada rocks! The people here are awesome!

I wasn't complaining about Canadians bashing Americans, I was complaining about people making generalizations.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Sorry, My Bad

BTW - I love my US buddies - They love Canada, as do I

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Canada has givin' us the greatest t.v. show ever made Trailer Park Boys. I will never rip on Canada again. Oh yea and the "Beasters" you know what im talkin' about

edit on 14-11-2010 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by asianeko

Wow! That must have been the most honest reply I've ever read!

You should come here to see what Canada is about. You'll Love it

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

We will be for sure! We currently live about 6 hours from Montreal, and my boyfriend's grandparents reside in Ottawa, so I'm sure I'll be there as well. I grew up in New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, that area) so I'm very used to the weather and whatnot. And I grew up addicted to maple candy, so I figure when we visit I'll stock up

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Because you guys don't know what bacon is!

This is NOT bacon!

THIS is bacon!!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Glad you're digging Canada.

I'm pretty sure Americans ripping on Canada is alright. It's kind of adorable that they think we have winter year round... and end every sentence with 'eh'. Most of it seems to be friendly, and we've always been more than willing to take the piss out of ourselves.

To be completely fair, we have a habit of looking down our noses at America at times. Or at least a certain segment of the American population.

I will admit that I'm often dismayed and frustrated by the complete fabrications Tea Baggers in the states make about our socialized medicine. And how they completely ignore that our extending equal rights to homosexuals hasn't led to the downfall of our society. Oh well, they're not representative of all American's, and I doubt people with that mindset have any real concept of the world outside America.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkFist

Actually, they're both equally bacon, and equally delicious.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by asianeko

You'll Love Canada!

This is the best place on the planet EARTH!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Americans and canadians have been ripping on each other pretty much ever since that fire in the white house back then....
However when push comes to shove we have stood side by side in almost every conflict since that last disgreement.
Which was i believe a couple hundred years ago now....
Sure we have some differences, and we have some similarities, but id say the rivalry is more than friendly, and the differences arent that great.
Many of us up here do envey the CCpermit laws....but thats another story.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join