It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000-year-old tunnel under Teotihuacan ruins has a perfectly carved arch roof

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The first robotic exploration of a pre-Hispanic ruin in Mexico has revealed that a 2,000-year-old tunnel under a temple at the famed Teotihuacan ruins has a perfectly carved arch roof and appears stable enough to enter, archaeologists announced Wednesday.

The first robotic exploration of a pre-Hispanic ruin in Mexico has revealed that a 2,000-year-old tunnel under a temple at the famed Teotihuacan ruins has a perfectly carved arch roof and appears stable enough to enter, archaeologists announced Wednesday.

Archaeologists lowered the remote-controlled, camera-equipped vehicle into the 12-foot-wide (4-meter) corridor and sent wheeling through it to see if it was safe for researchers to enter. The one-foot (30-cm) wide robot was called "Tlaloque 1" after the Aztec rain god.

The grainy footage shot by the robot was presented Wednesday by Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History. It shows a narrow, open space left after the tunnel was intentionally closed off between A.D. 200 and 250 and filled with debris nearly to the roof.

Archaeologist Sergio Gomez says the footage showed the arched-roof tunnel was an example of sophisticated work by the ancient inhabitants of Teotihuacan, which is located just north of modern Mexico City.

"All of the passage, more than 100 meters (yards) long was excavated in the rock perfectly, and in some places you can even see the marks of the tools the people of Teotihuacan used to make it," said Gomez.

Well-worked blocks and a smoothly-arched ceiling showed the tunnel was not natural, but rather a man-made structure that researchers believe lead to possible burial chambers.

Researchers hope to clear the debris blocking the tunnel's mouth and enter passageway by late November or early December.

Robots have been used before in Egypt. In 2002, a robotic vehicle was used to discover a hidden door and chamber in the Great Pyramid built by the pharaoh Khufu more than 4,000 years ago.

But the INAH, as Mexico's archaeology agency is known, said it appeared to be the first robotic exploration in Mexico and probably in the Americas.

After excavating a vertical shaft that leads to the tunnel entrance, the mouth of the passageway was discovered in July. Ground-penetrating scanner images showed that the passageway lies 40 feet (12 meters) below the surface, and runs beneath the Temple of Quetzacoatl, in the central ceremonial area of the ruins.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
As a tour director who frequently accompanies archaelogial tour companies on trips throughout the ruins of Mexico, I find this really fascinating.

American archaelogisgts accompany our groups and it's interesting to hear their perspective. Their views are purely scientific and there is no room for ancient alien theories in their thinking. In our last tour throughout the Mayan ruins, it was obvious to me (and others on the tour) that many artifacts depicted space suits, etc but the archaeologist completely dismissed such notions, insisting that all ancient art merely depicted mythical Gods.

Archaeologist's views are frequently so narrow, seeing the ancients as sort of misguided people, depsite their amazing accomplishments in astronomy, etc.

Since I have done some studying on ancient alien theories, I find I have to turn my back and roll my eyes from time to time. These educated professors would rather subscribe far fetched theories to such obvious things rather than expand their thinking. In some cases, I think they are fearful of being challenged.... There is very little room for re-examining their views or re-learning something they have already made their minds up about.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Greatfind buddy something is definitely down there and i doubt its a burial site star and flag

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

I can't wait to hear what they find. This could hopefully be the find to open the eyes of mainstream archaeology. It's hard to fathom why they persist in denying the possibilities of ancient alien theory as though it's absurd nonsense.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Since I have done some studying on ancient alien theories, I find I have to turn my back and roll my eyes from time to time. These educated professors would rather subscribe far fetched theories to such obvious things rather than expand their thinking. In some cases, I think they are fearful of being challenged.... There is very little room for re-examining their views or re-learning something they have already made their minds up about.

You have it right, they do tend to want everything to fit into their preconceived ideal. If you have followed the work of Michael Cremo and Jonathon Gray it is more then evident what they are hiding from us. I think in many cases artifacts are destroyed or at the very least hidden away on a shelf somewhere away from prying eyes..

Forbidden Archaeology

www.mcremo.com...

Jonathon Gray

www.beforeus.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Teotihuacan Tunnel found under Temple of Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent

August 06, 2010

Archaeologists have discovered a 1,800 year old tunnel that leads to a system of galleries 12 meters below Teotihuacan's Temple of Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent, in Mexico.

Spanning an area of more than 83 square kilometres, Teotihuacan is one of the largest archaeological sites in Mexico and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city had nearly 250,000 inhabitants when it was at its height in the early 1st millennium AD. It also contains some of the largest pre-Columbian pyramids in the New World.

heritage-key.com...

A computer generated image of the tunnel found next to the Temple of the Feathered Serpent, based on GPR and laser scanning survey.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d9a2e363226.jpg[/atsimg]

Entrance
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5c9a466c0a1.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is some additional information from August 2010, apparently as early as 2003 archaeologists suspected the tunnel was there after a rainstorm. It has taken a few years for them to get around to excavating this amazing discovery.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
One of these days, some archaeologist is going to open one of these "burial chambers" and discover that the tunnel was filled in to keep something in. Maybe then they will change their minds on their view of history?

edit on 11-14-2010 by rogerstigers because: because the coffee had not kicked in yet

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

What is far-fetched? You have accepted a premise of alien visits to earth. Since there is no actual proof, you are working on opinion and faith alone, Science...real science...does not have this luxury and is anchored by a demand for proof. Trust me...the eye-rolling goes both ways.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I also believe in the ancient aliens theory, but why does a perfect arch correlate to ancient aliens? i think that man as smart as he is today as back then, could easily come up with an arch. I dont think the arch was suddenly invented a few hundred years ago. if the mayans could perfectly align their structures to create illusions then i think that an arch is a no brainer, maybe there just wasn't a need for it any where else.

i think human ingenuity hits us all the time, but sh** happens and the technology becomes lost until the next time it is thought of. maybe it's the same with civilizations too. everything comes and goes.

but i was thinking about the ancient aliens and how the mayans depicted them in their statues wearing "suites". how come today aliens are not described as wearing suits when they visit us? just wondering.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11azerus11
reply to post by MRuss

but i was thinking about the ancient aliens and how the mayans depicted them in their statues wearing "suites". how come today aliens are not described as wearing suits when they visit us? just wondering.

maybe the grays ARE wearing suits?

or maybe they are differant aliens.

The idea that an arch indicates aliens.. not so much.. my beef is that the archaeologists blantantly label things and then strongly resist any other ideas..

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

One of these days, some archaeologist is going to open one of these "burial chambers" and discover that the tunnel was filled in to keep something in.

Maybe then they will change their minds on their view of history?

What something like Nero or worse?

Something that is just waiting to be unleashed.

Soon after Nero’s death, the palace and grounds, encompassing 2.6 km² (c. 1 mi²), were filled with earth and built over:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

i know, both sides looks down on the other. i think it is kind of funny both sides thinks the other is being ignorant.

its funny i point things out to my dad like look its obvious or how do you explain this or that? but there's no convincing him. everything is cut and dry. this is what is logical, so this is true type of attitued as lead to many stalemates. he is a natural skeptic until he reads it on cnn or something.

i don't know what it is, why people have a hard time accepting new evidence pointing to the truth. maybe it's an ego issue. they don't want to think that everything they know could be wrong.

but if they think about this logically and the probabilties. who taught the skeptic? another "man" and another "man" taught him as well. all the way back as far as you can trace, "knowledge" has been passed on down the line. so who's to say the original "teacher" was right or wrong, because logically and the possibility of the teacher being wrong flat wrong is possible.

and when your an academic who wants to admit they were taught by a narrow minded idiot, with the near sightedness of a mole. i understand why they need to be right, we dont need to be right so our minds our more open, but they do. they have to be right because that is the way things are. imo, that way of thinking is what blew christianity up. the minds ability to have absolute faith in something til the bloody end no matter what questions may arise, just shut up and have faith. the academics are the same as the religous fanatics, except they have absolute faith in the logic that has been passed down to them, instead of in god . just like on the maury show, people scared of the truth always seem to yell out I am 1000% sure.....

i hope they just find a huge shiny space ship in there and lay all this to rest. haha

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Keeping something buried on Purpose.

Reminds me of one of my favorite B horror classics. The Keep

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately, even American academics seem to mirror the vast majority of our population-stubborn and unable to accept anything out of the scientific box.

Unfortunatley, if the problem was limited to the US, we'd probably have more information on ancient astronauts today. But, people who have studied this subject for 50+ years don't want to admit even the possibility of aliens visiting us in the distant past--mainly because it may destroy careers. The world gives academics alot of credit, but we also need to realize that in many ways they are scared of the unknown as well, and are FAR less open minded about exotic possibilities, namely because they don't want to see their career turned over by individuals they deem "crazy".

On the subject of stone work, if anyone could help me out on this I would appreciate it:
I remember a few weeks ago I was watching either the first or second episode of Ancient Aliens on History, and there was something similar to this, a South American people who's carving was so insanely precise that it would require modern stone carving tools from today. I want to say it was in Peru or Bolivia, but I'm not sure. The stones were carved with straight lines all the way down--absolutely no errors, less than a 1/4th of an inch across, down the middle of the stone. I don't have the episode on my DVR and was hoping to do some online research about this. I'm almost positive it was this season but I've been recording all the episodes so if they were mentioned in the 1st season, I could have seen it there.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
just thought i would post a link with some great pics of the tunnel so far but it does not enter into thetunnel yet...I hope that is show some interesting thing and i the mexican goverment might not be so secretive compared to some and we might actually see the events as they occur....wouldn't that be nice for a change.

Info and images of the seem and location of the tunnel

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Maybe thats where they dumped the remains of all the sacrifices.....Or perhaps stashed the crown jewels from the spanish........
Don Juan says there are mayan majicians who escaped the spanish conquest by turning themselvs into trees.....
(not relevant second line..)..

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The idea that an arch indicates aliens.. not so much.. my beef is that the archaeologists blantantly label things and then strongly resist any other ideas..

They 'blatantly label things' based upon educated opinion and scientific principals...and simply expect those who disagree to provide proof before going out and changing the paradigm. Please...what is so onerous about that?

You have a better idea? Prove it! Plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

They 'blatantly label things' based upon educated opinion and scientific principals...and simply expect those who disagree to provide proof before going out and changing the paradigm. Please...what is so onerous about that?

You have a better idea? Prove it! Plain and simple.

He doesn't have to "prove" anything--he can speculate all he wants. This is a discussion board for ideas, NOT the science fair. The stonework in Central and South America is very stunning and would be very difficult (IMO impossible) to perform with the simple tools of that time.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
He doesn't have to "prove" anything--he can speculate all he wants. This is a discussion board for ideas, NOT the science fair. The stonework in Central and South America is very stunning and would be very difficult (IMO impossible) to perform with the simple tools of that time.

Sure he can...I am addressing his beef. Sure it's a discussion board for ideas, but if an idea is wrong...you don't want that mentioned?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The problem is, you can't really say he's wrong, because what he believes is driven by his perception of the scientific community. I think it's fair to say that scientists do not accept ancient astronaut theory what-so-ever. I have a feeling that even if we found a spaceship buried under the Pyramid of Giza, they would have to find some milquetoast explination for that too. The people studying these temples/pyramids, have made their entire careers based on a set of supposed facts set in stone, unable to be challenged, despite the fact that there are thousands of holes in the official story, maps that show Antarctica in the correct location but covered in GREEN. Trust me, the mainstream scientific community will NEVER be the first ones to discover definitive evidence regarding UFOs, ancient astronauts, or whatever other controversial subject that you can think of. It's because mainstream science has an EXTREMELY hard time accepting anything other than the official explanation. They don't like aliens from super advanced civilizations for the reasons above and this main reason: if these aliens are so much more advanced than us, and we meet them...they sure won't have a real big role in the long term of things, eh? Just another dumb human to ETs...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join