It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can watch you on your built in webcam if you come to my website!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ever since they first sold built in webcams I have wondered if it was not so much a nice free extra but a built in spy tool for someone.

Now just for a minute think about the situations you have got yourself into while surfing the internet. How embarrassing would it be if everything you have ever done that your webcam could capture was made public to your friends, colleges and families along with the names of the websites you visit.

We hear all the time how the NSA etc want to have access to emails and phone calls and they are always getting in trouble for one thing or another. Now imagine that this is just a screen so you do not realise that they already collect and save every webpage you visit along with pictures and videos; and not forgetting a streaming video from your webcam of your activities.

STUPID IDEA?

What if I told you that you can download code from a particular website and embed it into a webpage and when some accesses your site then can then open a connection and view their webcam for as long as the computer remains on. If they turn off their computer they have to come back to your website to reconnect.

I do not have this facility on my websites and I would never do so. the question we have to ask ourselves is who is watching us and WHY? oh and don't forget they can also listen to you as you have a microphone built in!!

I now have a sticker over my web cam!

edit on 13/11/2010 by theregonnakillme because: felt like it

UPDATE:

The post was about people other than governments being able to access your camera for malicious purposes, however as posted by Aristophrenia down the page:

"The UK has laws which specifically allow mi5 and mi6 to go into your computer, turn on your web cam, and access any files they want to remotely if it is connected to the net - anything."
edit on 13/11/2010 by theregonnakillme because: update

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
A disconcerting idea to say the least.

So are you claiming this is a reality, or are you speculating?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

It is a reality and has been ever since they were introduced. Anyone who works in software will tell you that accessing a webcam takes a SINGLE like of code : - cvCaptureFromCAM

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This warning for all you having a bad hair day.
Don't log on if your not all dolled up and for chrisp sakes don't spill the beans about the reactor!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
OK.... I have a LED light that lights up to let me know my cam is on. Are you telling me that this code circumvents this feature?

Looking for tape right now. Just as a precaution.

Edit to add that I'm not using any microsoft crap os.
edit on 11/13/2010 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by madmangunradio

It is possible to deactivate the light yes; it is as simple as ( variable=0 ) zero being off

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

Why I always have a sticker over my webcam

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

F*ing disturbing. But is it limited to windows only? Can you send me a link to any sources.. I've googled and havent found anything related to linux.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Thank God I am on an iPad with no camera! Lol

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by madmangunradio

I have not done any programming for Linux so can not comment, but i use a MacBookPro and still cover the camera!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
my home computer doesnt have built in camera......I have one that is seperate, yet connected to the system and it is ALWAYS pointing at the ceiling unless I am using for something that I am clearly aware of sharing visually.

This was possible even before the built in web cams.

link   
The government tracks pretty much everything we do if they can get away with it so it wouldn't surprise me if they had access to our webcams. I taped mine up months ago.

link   
Regardless.. Can't hurt to tape over your camera.
Taped my camera with a "ohnoz" label. I knew this label maker was good for something.
BTW Its my laptop. Built in webcam.
edit on 11/13/2010 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Could you tell me where you got this info from?

As far as I know both with a Java applet and with a Flash file you have to specifically allow a site to access your webcam in Java you must specifically allow the app as "trusted"

I haven't coded for a while but I do have a degree in software engineering so be as technical as you like

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Just a hint - get a sticky label and then place a small piece of normal paper in the centre of the ticker that way when you actually want tot use the camera you do not have to clean off all the glue that is now stuck to the lens
The first time i tried to use mine it took me a few seconds to figure out why I looked fuzzy

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I build websites - this is absolutely normal - how the hell do you think Augmented Reality works ? How do you think ChatRoulette works ? Web cams on line ? My god - i can't believe you think that it is even remotely strange - its like saying OH MY GOD a web site can accesss my mouse data !! How else do you think you click on stuff ?!

The UK has laws which specifically allow mi5 and mi6 to go into your computer, turn on your web cam, and access any files they want to remotely if it is connected to the net - anything.

Facebook is a data harvesting and behavioral pattern recognition tool for tracking people - not a secret, not a conspiracy a well known fact. It was originally built by QinetiQ - the research and development arm of the CIA.

If you are on the net - you are being watched - if not by the government then by someone with WIRESHARK or CHARLES - it is standard - I use both ALL THE TIME.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I also received my BSc in Software engineering. As a colleague you will know how easy it is to activate a web-cam; giving that info out publicly would be VERY irresponsible and probably lead to legal action, so sorry.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

MY POINT EXACTLY and no I am not surprised, just fed up of family and friends constantly telling me to take off my tin foil hat and start taking meds while reading the bible to bring me back from the dark side.

I wanted to see how many other are aware or whether I needed to follow family advice!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

Chat roulette and augmented reality work by specifically asking for access to your web cam and you allowing it, they do not secretly turn your web cam on without your knowledge.
That is what the OP is talking about

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Um I thought everyone knew this. That's how websites like Chat Roulette etc use your webcam. But you have to give it permission first, and webcams have lights next to them to let you know they're active.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join