It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother Kinect Could Be Watching You at Home

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Big Brother Kinect Could Be Watching You at Home

www.newsfactor.com

Microsoft Vice President Dennis Durkin told a conference that the new Kinect controller for the Xbox 360 can watch and report on users.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
WTF? Unbelieveable! Well not really these slimballs will do anything they can to get into our lives and our heads, well they just lost a sale here thats for sure. I am so sick of these big corperations thinking it is ok to spy on our lifes. Please do NOT buy this for you or your kids this christmas season!

www.newsfactor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
That's what money does

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sakrateri

I don't want anything in my home to be staring back at me! Whatever happened to supply and demand? Now all it is, is marketing to a target customer, and finding that customer apparently by any means. And my usual rant, I don't think we need all this technology, we need to be more social with each other, technology is ruining the good ole one on one relationships we have treasured.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This is absolutely terrible, yet not too shocking. They are constantly finding new ways to watch us and playing to our wants is a good way for them to do this. Tell everyone you know who is thinking about buying this, what they could be getting themselves into. I was thinking about getting it, until I saw this, and now I am definitely not going to purchase something, so they can watch me. Help them and let them do this, please, I will not!!!
edit on 11/13/2010 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Here's a quote from that source.

"Apparently as a result of Durkin's remarks, Microsoft issued a statement Thursday that neither its Xbox 360 video Relevant Products/Services-game controller nor Xbox Live "use any information captured by Kinect for advertising targeting purposes." The company added that it has a strong track record "for implementing some of the best privacy-protection measures in the industry."

It seems that these were just ideas he was talking about, not something happening now I hope. Still these ideas did come from the Microsoft Vice President.
edit on 13-11-2010 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
... That is real crazy stuff ... They'll use any means to get into people's houses ... They make people paranoid rather than safe!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
So in that case then, if they did use the Kinect for Big Brother use, the most valuable thing they will get out of your prancing around will be your identity. Surely the program will only be used for maybe voice recordings and facial recognition!

Plus depening on what room you install it in, its only ever going to have a eyes view of that room. If your that scare, wear a mask while playing with your entertainment lol

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

"Apparently as a result of Durkin's remarks, Microsoft issued a statement Thursday that neither its Xbox 360 video Relevant Products/Services-game controller nor Xbox Live "use any information captured by Kinect for advertising targeting purposes." The company added that it has a strong track record "for implementing some of the best privacy-protection measures in the industry."

It seems that these were just ideas he was talking about, not something happening now I hope. Still these ideas did come from the Microsoft Vice President.

The key sentence in that quote, was that they will not use any of the information captured for advertising targeting purposes. What else can they or will they use it for, though is what worries me.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by theUNKNOWNawaits

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

The key sentence in that quote, was that they will not use any of the information captured for advertising targeting purposes. What else can they or will they use it for, though is what worries me.

Exactly, all they did was deny the advertising part.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
The ptb can perve into anyones home fact and have been for ages.

You telling me 2010 is the first year they have cameras in peoples homes, lol.

I have not been able to fart in private for 18 years, in uk london. It must been going on for alot longer in places like n ireland, where they must of been in peoples homes longer than with mine.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
... That is real crazy stuff ... They'll use any means to get into people's houses ... They make people paranoid rather than safe!!!

They have no care for anyones privacy,a nd big bro shows have you lot all fantasiing about this sort of stuff. You peopel should of rejected shows like big brother, but you accepted it as norm, and now we have to put up with this garbage, like 1984.

Amazing how the public brought into that show big brother, and i have never ever watched it, knowing its there to teach you to accept these things. They have been perving into our home for 18 years now, and no crime what so ever, the uk gov and police just make it up, and they can do it to anyone.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolvesfc
So in that case then, if they did use the Kinect for Big Brother use, the most valuable thing they will get out of your prancing around will be your identity. Surely the program will only be used for maybe voice recordings and facial recognition!

Plus depening on what room you install it in, its only ever going to have a eyes view of that room. If your that scare, wear a mask while playing with your entertainment lol

My 14 yr old daughter has one in her room, so I guess its ok with you if they watch her change!!?? I don't think so!! Even if this is just talk it was enough for me not to buy it now!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Or you can get one, with the newly released open source drivers and hook it thru USB to your comp.
Could turn it into a nice surveillance camera so you can start watching the watchers.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dthwraith
My 14 yr old daughter has one in her room, so I guess its ok with you if they watch her change!!?? I don't think so!! Even if this is just talk it was enough for me not to buy it now!

That stuff probably happens more than you think with gov and agencies.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
360 uses electricity all the time, looking for wireless pads, and now it can turn on using voice controls, which means they are constantly listening as well....I will not be letting Microshaft have a camera in my game room

And if you look at your online safety tab it had an option for voice data collection, on my box it says not allowed

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
There you go :
Adafruit challenge

There are many possibilities with this kind of device. For example use it to replace the mouse.
This could be a new era in computer interraction. Getting closer to minority report type of interfacing.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

just what google streetveiw sed

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hardly surprising, but frightening anyhow.

I can't afford one, for me or my kids. Guess we're better off without it anyway. We don't even have tv
just this 10yo pc ...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Not getting the Kinect now

<<   2  3  4 >>

join