It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local food and protein / fish Aquaponics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have read several books and researched the websites on this subject and it is more than what anyone can hope.
The merging of two independent technologies that become a model of life in the real world.

Aquaponics merges the famracolocy of fish farming along with plant farming...without the use of soil.

Yea you read it right ..You can grow plants without soil.
Unfortunately, you need to add nutrients to the water in order to grow plants in this way, Bujt if you recycle the water from a fish tank into the grow beds then they rid the grower of the need to use nutrients or any other unnatural ingredients.
to put it simply ... 1 cubic foot of fish in water will grow 2 cubic foot of veggies. At least.
The fish excrement is food for the vegies and the method of feeding the plants purifies the water that is returned to the fish tank /
The fish and the veggies are harvest-able and the system needs no herbicides. This is established technology.

I'm not telling anything new . I am telling you something doable in your backyard or spare room.
f1.grp.yahoofs.com...

/v1/4NfcTAuUa0UH2M6RFm0RZ_J4YrXvQAf1rOEozUGna2bj0nWkt38imZttTFn09woa9xIVT7gWAeHX7ulnA_BabjJWmET9qxYt/Barrel-ponics%20Manual%2C%20E-mail.pdf

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

The link doesn't work...can you please repost the link?

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
ive been reading about aquaponics and im serioulsy thinking about setting up an aquaponics system, here are a few links www.backyardaquaponics.com... www.backyardaquaponics.com... thnx for the info awakentired i never heard of aquaponics before, if i set this up ill post pics

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Tried it, Dropped a drip line from my filter into the plants then back into the pond.
It didn't work the plants hated me for it yellowed and died or were weak little things, the fish ate the roots of the soybeans (which did the best) and cursed me for not letting them eat the whole plant.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Sory for the late reply.

this link will take you to a page for you to download a free manual on starting a small Aquaponics system called barrelponics.
www.fastonline.org...

Hugh has a user group on yahoo called barrelponics. There are hundreds of people getting tuned into the natural way to grow plants and fish with the same water. Each feeds the other. On the yahoo site there are methods to expand the system to be nearly self sustaining.

This system uses 15% of the water needed in conventional agriculture. This fact is what attracted me.

I have begun my project to use aquaponics in a Walapini greenhouse. Hopefully between the underground temp control and a windmill, I'll be able to create a food source of fish and veggies for my family and others with just 1000 gals of water / month and no electrical costs year round.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Spare room.

I got all kinds of tomatoes in that spare room already.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

For those curious about the Walipini Greenhouse here is a PDF.Walipini Greenhouse They are used for year 'round growing even in freezing winter climates.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
OOps made a mistake in my post. I am starting with a 400 gallon fish tank which will feed 64 cubic feet of grow bed.
My mistake was to say I'll use 1000 gals of water.. it will be a 1000 gallon system and I"ll replace roughly 100 gallons of water per month.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
nice.
i was just reading about this at another place.
I don't own, or sell the products on that website.
But they had a nice little "how it works" diagram.
Aquaponics

It looks like Tilapia is a popular fish for this.
you must check your state laws though. Some fish are pretty aggressive breeders.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Not sure if this thread is still being monitored. Curious if the OP actually built one. I am looking to build one myself.

peace

top topics

join