It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geophysics - Discussion & Research

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thanks for that. More reading!!!

But does it explain the plate junctions that should be there and apparently are not? Ummmm.......

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Plate junctions? What plate junctions?

Wanted to share the photos on this site of the permanent lava lake in Africa.

Also "Tremors Caused by an Oscillating Magma Plug" here. Problem is they don't show us what these tremors usually look like. One could argue that this has been happening at St Helens and Rainier. Personally I haven't looked at seismos for volcanoes in the weeks leading up to an eruption.

I am also putting this hotspot article here
so hopefully I will remember to check back in on the research and see what is discovered.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I have not checked this out folks as I am rather busy at present but someone might like to take a look. This was sent to me in and email so I can't give a link to the source.

CONTINENTAL ROCKS IN THE INDIAN OCEAN

Takao YANO*, Boris I. VASILIEV**, Dong R. CHOI***, Seiko MIYAGI****,
Alexander A. GAVRILOV** and Hisao ADACHI*****

* Department of Environment Science, Faculty of Regional Science, Tottori Univ., Tottori, 680-855, Japan.
** Pacific Oceanological Institute, Far East Branch, Russian Academy of Science, Vladivostok, 690041, Russia.
*** Raax Australia Pty Ltd., 6 Mann Place, Higgins, ACT 2615, Australia.
**** Tokyo Metropolitan Kitazono Senior High School, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo, 173-0004, Japan. ****** Tokyo Metropolitan Nerima Senior High School, Nerima-ku, Tokyo, 179-8908, Japan.

Abstract: This paper reviews the occurrence of continental rocks at 32 localities in the Indian Ocean. Almost all of them were found in rises, plateaus, and ridges situated in the marginal ocean basins.
In the world oceans – the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans – ancient continental rocks have been discovered at a total of 78 localities. Type A rocks (continental rocks located in continental margins deeper than the ocean-floor depth) indicate that part of the continent has submerged and turned to ocean floor – a phenomenon recognized by all proposed ocean-formation hypotheses. Type B rocks (continental rocks located in mid-oceanic ridges and ocean basins) and Type C rocks (rocks characterized by continental geochemical signatures) located in mid-oceanic ridges and ocean basins are incompatible with the hypothesis of ocean-floor spreading, but they provide powerful supporting evidence for the oceanization and microexpansion hypotheses.
The two gigantic ring structures – the Dupal anomaly belt and the circum-Pacific mobile belt – indicate that the Earth’s mantle is rather inhomogeneous in chemical composition and is not so active and fluidal as generally believed. The keys to future ocean-formation debates are Type B and C rocks. To understand the ocean-formation processes, the thermal and compositional inhomogeneity and low fluidity of the mantle are important constraints.

Keywords: continental rocks, Indian Ocean, ocean-floor spreading, oceanization, microexpansion, Dupal anomaly, circum-Pacific mobile belt, Earth’s dichotomy

I will take a look at it later - probably many days later - and see if I can find the paper. There are email addresses for each of these persons and if you feel a need to email them please u2u me and I will give you them.

Not sure if the High School references mean they are students or lecturers. I would guess the latter.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
By the way that newsletter comes from this site

New Concepts In Global Tectonics

I have had a quick look around this site. There are some interesting articles contained in the newsletters of which there are 58 that can be downloaded in PDF format.

My first impression is that this is an ideal site for someone like me/us who are not 'real scientists' (we are better than them
) but who have a keen interest in these matters. It is not fettered by dogma. It looks as if it might even be possible to publish papers here.

I SHALL be investigating what it has to offer further, in the meantime I encourage you to down load a couple of the newsletter issues and take a look.

edit on 28/4/2011 by PuterMan because: Edited to add more information.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Wow, a potential gold mine of hours and hours of brain work there....can't wait to have the time and head space to start reading. I see Christian Smoot is on the editorial board, and he contributes. Thanks for the fantastic link PM.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
From the link provided by Zenius

The standard view has been that the inner core is freezing all over and growing out progressively, but it appears that there are regions where the core is actually melting. The net flow of heat from core to mantle ensures that there's still overall freezing of outer core material and it's still growing over time, but by no means is this a uniform process.

Curious this. Science denies the expanding earth theory and yet here we are told "The standard view" is that it is growing.

1mm a year may not seem much, and it does not say if this is diameter or circumference. I am assuming diameter.

I am not a mathematician but my question is, IF the core is iron and is expanding at 1mm a yearm what doe this translate to on the surface? Are we getting close to the missing 18mm?

Just an addition to note that my whole house is shaking like a leaf. It is NOT an earthquke. We are on an exposed hillside in Connacht

Extremely windy or stormy in places with very strong and blustery southwest to west winds gusting to between 80 and 100 km/h generally, but up to 140 km/h in exposed hilly and coastal areas of Ulster and Connacht.

Emphasis by me.

www.met.ie...

www.meteoalarm.eu...

That is hurricane force! en.wikipedia.org...

Further edit:

This is not the article I am looking for, but is one explanation of the Earth having a plasma core as opposed to a soilid iron core

edit on 23/5/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Found the reference I was looking for. I have no idea if this is correct or not.

At the same time, Owen also introduced an ingenious idea: "Are the pressure and heat in the interior of the Earth enough to maintain a plasma core? They probably are, and the solid nickel-iron core of the textbooks may be a myth". According to the transmission of seismic waves through the Earth's core and the composition of meteorites, it had previously been thought that the inner core was solid, composed of nickel, iron and probably sulphur. The outer core was assumed to be molten. Owen explains that "the behaviour of waves passing through a plasma core would be similar to that in a solid iron-sulphur core".
He suggests that if the inner core is plasma there is a potential for expansion when the core changes from a plasma into an atomic state. The Earth's outer core may be molten because it has already changed into its atomic state. (This author adds that an explosion potential would also be present if the gravity envelope had been broken by an impact catastrophe.)

Emphasis by me.

Source: The Expanded Earth

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

But if as the article states it is freezing and melting simultaneously then wouldn't there be fluctuations in the growth, a breathing in and out as it were of the planet. The melting would cause the opposite of freezing, and it would shrink again? So the expansion couldn't be uniform throughout. The freeze/melt is not uniform. So the growth would only happen in the areas that are 'freezing'. Expansion and contraction. Well it makes sense to me anyway..

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

I understand what you are saying but I assume that the figure they gave was an 'overall' accounting for the small melting area.

In the absence of a mathematician I shall have to attempt to wrap my brain round the problem some time to see if this accounts for the 18mm they "exclude because it does not fit the model".

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Hi Zenius. You need to have a look at this PDF file.

New Concepts in Global Tectonics Newsletter, no. 59, June, 2011

In particular look at page 2. I love the..

bye bye plate tectonics

edit on 13/7/2011 by PuterMan because: To format the link

ETA: Page 6 is a good one as well.

edit on 13/7/2011 by PuterMan because: To add a comment, not that I need to tell YOU every time I do something box, OK?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Here are a bunch of papers about LIPs - all very interesting stuff and not as technical as the item I linked on Quake Watch.

Contents:
Large Igneous Provinces:Origin and EnvironmentalConsequences
Andrew D. Saunders, Guest Editor

Large Igneous Provinces and the Mantle Plume Hypothesis
Ian H. Campbell

Large Igneous Provinces, Delamination, and Fertile Mantle
Don L. Anderson

Meteorite Impacts as Triggers to Large Igneous Provinces
Adrian P. Jones

Gas Fluxes from Flood Basalt Eruptions Stephen
Self, Thorvaldur Thordarson, and Mike Widdowson

Oceanic LIPs: The Kiss of Death
Andrew C. Kerr

The Link between Large Igneous Provinces
and Mass Extinctions
Paul Wignall

Download the PDF here

Warning to dial-up users: This file is just under 7 Mb.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Thanks Puterman,
I've fallen so far behind what's happening in tectonics this year. I hope to catch up on some reading in late November when uni finishes.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join