It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scintillation.... The one and only star in the sky that does this.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So two years ago, I was looking in the sky, in northern canada, where there is no air pollution at all. And I came across a star, in the northern sky, that looked like a cop car from a distance. So I went on the internet researching this star, and guess what I came across? Abovetopsecret.com. I found a huge thread dedication to the flashing red, blue, green, orange star. And everyone kept saying its only scintillation. Which is atmosphereic distrubances, causing the star to change colors. So I remained a lurker on this site for several months, until I finally decided to sign up because of all the interesting topics. It's been about two years now. And guess what......

I am still seeing, and hearing about, the exact same star, in the exact same location in the sky, flashing the exact same way, as it was two years ago. I have never heard of another star flashing colors, I have never seen another star flashing colors. There have been multiple threads on ats about this star, one was just made earlier today, which prompted me to write this thread.

My question is, how is scintillation possible on only one star, anywhere in the world, and not affect any other stars? I have searched the sky, looking for just one other star to flash like this one does, and I have failed every time. Even stars just as bright, in the same area of the sky do not flash. So does scintillation only occur for one star? Or is it a made up word, and excuse, to keep conspiracy theorists, like us, stupid? But if that is the case, then what could the flashing star be?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

I am very curious as well someone just posted about seeing that star in Kentucky stating that it was a UFO...star and flag
edit on 11-11-2010 by Artorius because: spelling

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Good question. I have also seen the occasional very beautiful scintillating stars, and they do stand out from the crowd. I know the argument that it is the atmospherics playing with the light etc, temperature and horizon / gravity etc but it does sometimes seem to me to be specific to one and not others, so although those scientific explanations hold some weight I would like to understand why only some and not all lights sources show this effect. Or are they Pleidian motherships / EMV's or wrathful Annunaki biding their time?? I'm sure they can be anything to anyone....

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 21st century man

You have seen more than one? In different areas of the sky?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
All stars scintillate

en.wikipedia.org...

Scintillation tends to occur more when stars are closer to the horizon so seen through denser levels of atmospheric pollution.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yes, I was watching one last night, very beautiful, alone among a sea of normal stars. There are good reasons for the effect, I just don't understand why it affects some and not others.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Mostly, this is correct - the horizon ones are most common. But they do appear up in the sky away from the horizon, they are the really interesting ones.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I already said I was in northern canada, Quesnel to be exact. There is no pollution up there. The air is clear as can be. The star was not very low on the horizion either, it was above the mountains, over the lake. certainly not on the horizion.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I dont know for sure??? But when I made thread about seeing multiple stars moving aswell as the multi colored 1s. I was told its Venus/Boots/Arcturas swamp gas floating about on a clear nite so... Good luck my friend but they may be more understandable the closer they get

Peace I was out at 3am checking the one of concern last nite ORION IS A GOOD central locator for star location reference. S&F and im in western PA.
edit on 11/11/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Could it be because it is a binary star system?

What the naked eye perceives as a single star is actually a binary star system, consisting of a white main sequence star of spectral type A1V, termed Sirius A, and a faint white dwarf companion of spectral type DA2, termed Sirius B.

Don't know, hopefully someone will pop in with an answer.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
All stars are subject to twinkling, some are more apparent than others,it depends on the turbulence in the atmosphere at any given location, warm air meets cold air, distorts the light etc etc. Stars as you see them are single points of light in the sky not like planets which are closer (although planets are subject to scintillation, but only during extreme turbulence). Brighter stars are more noticable because they are brighter, but still a single point of light, it because they are so far away your not seeing the star your seeing its light (if that makes sense)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The cop car blue is what got me too. What's that all about? I read a number of sites on scintillation after the information in the thread I had started and I have to say that there may be something to the old Photon Belt rumor. Something certainly changed because while I remember stars twinkling all of my life, these strobe effects are fairly recent. According to the scintillation theory, heat and/or photons ionizing cause this. Don't know but do know I'm glad it's not just me.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Twinkle twinkle little star

Mary had a little LAMB

SOME OF MY FAV. OLD RYMES

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Could it be 2 stars orbiting each other?
Never seen this star before as I live in the big city, the only stars I see are airplanes and helicopters.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Twinkle twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are,
Up above the sky so high,
Like an ATS thread in the sky,
twinkle twinkle little star, OMG ITS NIBURU!!!

Sorry, Tee-hee

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

There are a few binary systems which are viewable and bright from earth, but its the amount of light that reaches us and the point of entry // turbulence in the atmosphere that determines the "twinkling"

EDIT: There may be only centimetres in our line of sight and the position of the star that makes the difference of what that light is travelling through in our atmosphere before it reaches us.
edit on 11/11/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This star also changes color very rapidly. Like, in less than a second. In a ten second timeframe it will have changed color about 25 times. It's a non-stop deal.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I have watched the skies for plenty of time in my life and I will admit I have seen a star or two that seemed to really flash compared to other ones, and ive seen this same star on successive nights. I have however, also noticed at times a general flashing of most stars if the atmospheric conditions are right, But I do know for a fact i have seen a specific star that seems to flash more than most. And this star was not on the horizon. I quit often see if to the north west, im in NNY.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

When you say flashing, you mean, flashing different colors right? Because all stars have a twinkle. But not all stars change colors rapidly.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

It's a prismatic effect in earth's atmosphere that allows a bright point of light to twinkle at any speed through its entire spectrum of visible colours and it gets even more pronounced when there are fine ice crystals in the upper atmosphere. The limitation is that the light source can only 'twinkle' or scintillate through the range of colours contained in the light it emits.

A bright white light contains the entire visible spectrum as everyone should know from early school experiments with mirrors and prisms but a red or yellowish star will be lacking in the blue end of the spectrum. The earlier mention of the stars being only minute pinpoints of light is very relevant in this discussion.

new topics

top topics

join