It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Propose Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I will start by saying yes I am a smoker, so perhaps my judgment might be a little biased. But this is just ridiculous. If the things are that bad then why can't we just outlaw them and be done with it? I know people say because of the tax $$ created they refuse to but still. If these things go through then I think it only fair that other products be made to do the same, as with other industries. Heres an idea all those pretty chemical industries and waste facilities should be made to put like descriptions on their property disclosing the hazards associated with them instead of moving into a community and selling their chemical dumps as being safe for the environment and such. As in my eyes it's just as bad as second hand smoke and smoking itself.

www.foxnews.com...
www.aolnews.com...
Mods not sure how this ended up in swine flu I posted it to diseases and pandemics. Oh well I am sure it will be placed in the proper place.
edit on 10-11-2010 by jaynkeel because: notify

edit on 10-11-2010 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

If they do this then I hope they put pictures of spouses being beaten, people lying and choking in pools of vomit and the resulting drunk driving accidental car crashes with body parts scattered over the road on alcohol packages too.

Oh- pictures of morbidly obese diabetics getting limbs amputated on McDonalds packages and other bad-for-you-foods.

Tons of ideas come to mind, actually.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ridiculous. I am a non-smoker who believes in the rights of the smoker. The whole health issue is blown way out of proportion. Outlaw the damn things if they have a problem with it. Oh ya, makes too much money, forgot.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
They have really graphic images on smoking packages where I live and it does not seem to have made any difference. People still smoke, young people continue to take it up. I am a non-smoker but what happened to free will? I agree with the poster who suggested pictures on McD cartons! And alcohol causes more problems than tobacco when violence, drunk driving etc are acounted for - just go into any A&E department on a Friday or Saturday night and you will see what I mean.

If folks want to smoke themselves to death, let them. They know the risks and they are prepared to take them, just as I know when I paddle out for a surf I might get attacked by a shark. Life is full of risks, we all take them and as long as we accept the consequences for that then its all good. What erks me is those that then try to sue the company that made them diseased/fat/pissed or whatever. Thank goodness that mentality is not as out of control here as in the US.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
We have grotesque images on our smokes in Canada.

Really doesn't change any opinion, and they are 50% of the cover.

They are pretty funny actually, there us a big flaccid smoke and it claims "smoking causes impotence"

People are going to do what they want regardless of any pictures.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

We in the UK have truly horrific graphics on cigarette packets, such as a huge cancer hanging out of a man's throat, lungs black with cancer, and others.

I still smoke by the way.

I don't notice the images anymore.

So it looks like that idea didn't work.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
They are pretty funny actually, there us a big flaccid smoke and it claims "smoking causes impotence"

People are going to do what they want regardless of any pictures.
Pred...

That's probably the image that works the best. For girls/women they need to see the wrinkles they cause to the face. The gruesome images, some people just cover it up, or put the cigs in another container.

Yeah, images have been in Canada for years now. They say smoking is down in Canada from what it used to be, but I doubt it's from the pics. I think some people are just getting more health conscious.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

It's because smokes are now 13 dollars per pack.

It's insane and puts a sinkhole in your pocket now.

That's the only thing that is bringing down the amount of people smoking.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
We've had the same sort of thing here in Canada for years. It does nothing, back in High School I knew kids who would collect them all. The mouth cancer one, the lung cancer one, the erectile dysfunction one.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I've seen warnings in bold print saying cigarette smoke contains a percentage of cyanide

If that doesn't put people off nothing will.

People don't care, those who smoke don't anyway.

We're sick of being told what to do, give us a break already. WE KNOW IT'S UNHEALTHY - WE GET IT.

I ENJOY a smoke, and I wish the 'health-angels' would get off my case.

I'm all grown up, don't need a nanny.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Cigarettes wouldn't be so horrible for you if the companies that make them didn't add so much crap to them. A few smokes (made of just plain old tobacco and nothing else) aren't going to kill you.

Think of the chemicals it takes to make paper alone!
Now they put in flame retardants, among other nasties.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by snowspirit

It's because smokes are now 13 dollars per pack.

It's insane and puts a sinkhole in your pocket now.

That's the only thing that is bringing down the amount of people smoking.

Pred...

That's $400 a month. For a couple to smoke, that's a month's rent of some houses! Add it up for a year, that's the price of a some new cars.

I forgot how expensive they are. Wow.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by StinkFist

My dad worked as a machinist in Imperial Tobacco for many years, and I did a two-week stint there during summer cleanup before college (stipulation was that you had to be attending school). There were jokes at the time about locating the secret tar room, or the cyanide injection facilities, and rest assured, those aren't part of the production process! There is the danger of pesticides, and the basic concerns about nicotine, but all (most) plants have the traces of cyanide, etc that they like to list on those warnings - bread and apples contain cyanide for example. The death statistics also blame smoking for everything under the sun.

I say aim for smoking organic tobacco and in moderation; take peace of mind beyond that.
Indian tobacco cuts down costs quite a bit (200g for $15), although it's not usually organic.
edit on 10-11-2010 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
As others have said they have them in the UK already and after a few days you don't even notice the pictures any more, all it does is encourage me to go and buy the Black Market European cigarettes from a little shop I know.
They don't have the pictures and they are half the price..
edit on 10-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Cigarette companies have one of the greatest traps known to mankind. They taste like crap, so when you start your mind tells you that you can stop whenever you feel like not trying to be a rebel anymore. By the time you start to notice the ill effects of smoking and want to stop, you are really hooked in by the addiction, and it is hard to stop. Also when you are young, you do not really grasp your mortality quite so well, so it is the best time to hook you in.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think this type of thing is funny....

I have been a smoker for years and know the dangers of it. Most smokers smoke becauses they enjoy it and im pretty sure everyone on earth knows their are bad for you. But these companies continue to try and gross people out of smoking.

Have they ever seen a liver that had to be removed from a heavy drinker? I say if you add nasty pics to packs of smokes you should add them to alcohol labels.

Plus if the stuff is THAT bad why not force companies to go the organic route and cut out the chemicals? O thats right, its because they really don't care and want you to smoke cause of all the money the government makes from taxes... take out the chemicals and you take away the addiction.

I have never seen any of these lables... Can someone be a pal and upload a pic of one?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

United States Graphic Cigarette Packs

The website above also has the packaging from other countries and the US warnings seem to be comparatively tame, check out most other countries and they are much more graphic.

There are questions over how effective the changes to the packaging really are in altering smoking rates.

When the Australians introduced the graphic images on tobacco packages the media reported young smokers collecting and trading the packs.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
They don't care about us, so I wish they would stop pretending. There is another reason for this happening.

Most likely so they can sneak in one or two of their occult symbols.

Take this Eye of Horus we have here in Oz.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8840198570b5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whatisanameanyway

Thanks for the link, I had never seen anyone those before. But now that I have I think I might quit smoking

Not effective IMO

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
There is a marketing opportunity here, one that I thought about when these images were placed on UK cigarettes. Create attractive Cigarette box's where people can store their cartons hiding the offending images.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join