It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence Breaks Out On Student Protest March

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Violence Breaks Out On Student Protest March

news.sky.com

Students protesting about a planned rise in university fees have smashed windows and started a fire at Millbank Tower in central London.An estimated 40,000 students from towns and cities across the UK have travelled to the capital for the rally which was organised by the National Union of Students (NUS) and University and College Union (UCU).

Speaking from the scene, Sky News' senior correspondent Michelle Clifford said the police were not present in large numbers when the violence broke out among some of the students.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This is breaking and ongoing as i post, live footage on Sky News at the moment.

I've not seen the riot police yet but i'm sure they are on the way, the usual types with their faces covered are smashing the windows on this building, the Conservative Party HQ.

As the news reporter is saying at the moment, security was pretty rubbish, especially considering that the MI5 building is just along the road and this in Westminster, somewhere with more than enough high security establishments nearby.

Anyway, i'm more posting this as a warning to any ATS members that may venture near the area unaware that police are starting to cordon areas off.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10/11/10 by CX because: added to post.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
watching this now

crazy, what happens when it's not just students rioting?

i wonder what it will take before we see rioting on the scale France has seen recently...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
And someone told me i was wrong on here for suggesting there would be riots. Ahhhh, it feels good to be right again.

This was always going to happen, half of those students probably just went to get pissed and have a laugh.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

More idiots causing chaos leaving tax payers footing the bill for repairs. Bunch of assholes.
Well done

All of those caught on camera i would prosecute for criminal damage and jail them, the ones that have been caught doing the damage.
Next it'll become terrorist headlines.

Also i would like to point out the ring leaders? Same as the G20 protesters perhaps? Carefully orchestrated.
Is London really part of the UK anymore? Really?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Let's hope they go past Canary Wharf on the rampage and put pay to some Bankers while they are at it, it's a shame Cameron is in China, a nice jaunt past whitehall would have been nice too:-)

We are pretty mild mannered in this country, but there is only so much we will take

CX

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by CX

More idiots causing chaos leaving tax payers footing the bill for repairs. Bunch of assholes.
Well done

All of those caught on camera i would prosecute for criminal damage and jail them, the ones that have been caught doing the damage.

Agreed.

Protest by all means, but smashing up where you live? Idiots.

I feel no remorse for people who cause damage like that then whinge when they get cracked by the riot police.

As they feel it fitting to start a fire, maybe the fire brigade should go hose it....being over generous with the area that their water covers.

Its cold in the UK today, give them a good soaking and they'll soon go home.

CX.
edit on 10/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
There's no excuse for vandalism and loutish behaviour. The people responsible for this are tools.

The only positive is that it shows that British students aren't all lethargic dossers who mooch around all day and just whinge when everything isn't handed on a plate to them !

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It's just a bit of pushy-pushy and the protesters are pushing each other for the most part.

There are a couple throwing punches and swiftly retreating before they catch a truncheon to the head. Some more rowdy ones at the back with a terrible throw. I wouldn't call it rioting yet and the police are doing quite nicely considering there are about 20 of them.

A few just managed to push their way in but I bet they're regretting it now.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

They have a right to be angry as higher education is now only for those who can afford it. The libs have gone back on their promise so I say tear the place up. When the people who are supposed to be representing us will not listen what other choice do we have?

CX

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
reply to post by CX

They have a right to be angry as higher education is now only for those who can afford it. The libs have gone back on their promise so I say tear the place up. When the people who are supposed to be representing us will not listen what other choice do we have?

Agreed.

Smashing the place up though is out of order though. Pointless. Someone has to pay for that, and i wonder who that will be.

CX.

CX

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
It's just a bit of pushy-pushy and the protesters are pushing each other for the most part.

There are a couple throwing punches and swiftly retreating before they catch a truncheon to the head. Some more rowdy ones at the back with a terrible throw. I wouldn't call it rioting yet and the police are doing quite nicely considering there are about 20 of them.

A few just managed to push their way in but I bet they're regretting it now.

A guy has just been on Sky saying he's from a breakaway group from the main protest, theres about 500 of them now and their aim is to occupy buildings today.

I have a feeling that it will get more than a bit of push and shove.

CX.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
At least they are protesting, better than just taking these things lying down. I hate the way the media report on these events, constantly focusing on the copper with a scratch on his face, making out he's been stabbed by a bunch anarchists.

It's a bunch of floppy haired stoodents for god sake

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I've just come home from central, it really is madness down there, unluckily phone was dead I would have taken some personal footage. Most people are peacefully marching but there's a few causing mischeif taking swipes at government buildings and even some random places.

But it was great to see so many of simliar age getting up and making a stand. I've always thought most my age would be lazy and care about minor matters. But there's alot of teachers and families there too.

Latest reports say there's about 50,000 students there now

Originally posted by CX
A guy has just been on Sky saying he's from a breakaway group from the main protest, theres about 500 of them now and their aim is to occupy buildings today.

I have a feeling that it will get more than a bit of push and shove.

CX.

That guy was taking a swipe at democracy and corporations in general, and he's not the only one thinking along those lines at the protest.
edit on 10-11-2010 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
BBC Link

It's now being reported on the BBC. They have every right to be upset but the violence isn't exactly going to help matters

- Phoenix

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

You can tell that it's starting to get a bit hairy, well I guess it will have to before they get rid of everyone. Who was it that said "it's a shame that a tiny minority have to be so daft", that tickled me!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

security was pretty rubbish, especially considering that the MI5 building is just along the road

Yeah, all the spooks are out smashing the windows and creating violence

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I cant for the life of me understand why they would think that they were going to get anywhere going on like YOBS.
Not all of them but the select few.
I have a massive feeling that everything will get well out of hand and fast. Seems like the instigators are trying to rally up backing from the rest.

Off Topic i know but,,,,,
What i will like to point out though is this, There is nothing else on the news? Its starting to be a very wierd timetable the news teams seem to have.
It is constant repeats, no other news.

+16 more 
link   
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I agree with civil unrest.
It's the only thing we have left in our civilian arsenal. The ballot box is a joke, we don't have any say in our country any more, all we have left is violence and as demonstrated by our own governments, violence is the way to get what you want.
Maybe if the people ok the UK were more inclined to voice their anger in this way maybe the government would think twice before implementing unfair policies.

+4 more 
link   
I am more than happy for my taxes to go on repairs as long as "the People" show they are not going to be rolled over by the tories and the liberalwithourpolicies. If this passes then people like me who was lucky enough to go to university and come from a working class back ground, won't be able to afford the chance. So it will be only the rich with the best jobs whether intellectual enough or not. A huge step backwards for the education system. Take the power back..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join