It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools get go-ahead to teach Paganism alongside major religions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Well as much as I detest the idea of religion being taught in schools it sure makes me chuckle that when teaching our kids nonsense at least they are getting to see the bigger picture of how many flavors of invisible men that live in the sky there (allegedly) actually are.

I'm personally pushing for the local education authority to give equal time in class to Jedi as much as Christianity, if we're going to waste the time of our young people just as well make it entertaining.

A council is allowing its schools to teach Paganism to pupils, it emerged today. Lincolnshire County Council raised the issue of whether Paganism should be added to the Religious Education curriculum at a recent meeting.

The county's RE advisor questioned whether study of Pagan doctrine should be added to the six world religions currently studied in schools.

It was decided that individual schools can choose whether they wish to teach Paganism to pupils or not. Minutes from a meeting of the Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education revealed the bizarre discussion. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 10-11-2010 by The Djin because: speeling

edit on 10/11/2010 by Sauron because: title

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
this could only happen in the uk. in 'merica we still have problems getting evolution put in biology books. not to mention basic history. don't even bring up taking out the "under god" part of our pledge of alligiance unless you want to see the bad side of 'mericans

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolCat

this could only happen in the uk. in 'merica we still have problems getting evolution put in biology books.

You're kidding right ?

Do the black kids get to go to these schools ?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
There are a good many pagans in the UK. Look at what happens at Stonehenge every year. Of course they should teach it. It's growing like crazy in the USA too.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
And they haven't been teaching this all along?:

2nd

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolCat
this could only happen in the uk. in 'merica we still have problems getting evolution put in biology books. not to mention basic history. don't even bring up taking out the "under god" part of our pledge of alligiance unless you want to see the bad side of 'mericans

i specifically recall learning more about evolution in my high school freshman bio class than at any other point in my life. i also remember learning history from 1st to 12th, covering all ranges of world, American, and British history, not to mention brief introductions to major religions with projects that had students research the roots of Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Native American religious philosophies in order for us to understand the underlying relationship between each belief. i think it was in order to create a society that is religiously sentimental and tolerant. to have students study paganism is to have students understand the basis of almost every religions' rituals. Not necessary education perhaps, but interesting nonetheless...i mean, you learn about it when you study the classics and the Greeks and Romans anyways. and this isn't even mandatory. the schools have the choice whether or not to include this in their curriculum. i say the more knowledge, the merrier the students.
edit on 10-11-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
A growing number of Europeans (and NA whites) are embracing their cultural heritage, that means reviving their old gods and traditions. It's a reaction to the Christian values that was entrenched in their society and blame monotheism for all of the ills of the world. This move is a step towards rising national tension.
edit on 10-11-2010 by zedzedtopgrade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zedzedtopgrade

A growing number of Europeans (and NA whites) are embracing their cultural heritage, that means reviving their old gods and traditions.

I would argue that it's more a case of dumping gods altogether, perhaps humanity may be starting to grow up a little

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolCat

Not sure where you went to school but we covered Evolution where I went.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Most pagans that i met, two of whom are friends of mine, are intelligent but what unites them is their absolute hatred towards the christian god. I think they use their new found faith as an excuse to hate since both don't exactly follow the precepts of their chosen faith.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedzedtopgrade

Most pagans that i met, two of whom are friends of mine, are intelligent but what unites them is their absolute hatred towards the christian god. I think they use their new found faith as an excuse to hate since both don't exactly follow the precepts of their chosen faith.

Then your friends are wannbe Pagans....a real Pagan/Wiccan does not hate any one, nor any God figure either. Most of the Pagans I know, and have been associated with, are too intelligent to even believe the Christian God exists, much less form a hatred for him. And further, there is no "united" to the Pagan crowd, ask 10 Pagans a question, you will get 8 different answers, and most Pagans have read the bibles and other ancient texts, so they know better than to believe the God of the Bibles was actually a God, rather they were all ET beings.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

My Asetru friend feels justified in his hatred but i wager it has more to do with his Nordic nationalism. Many Norweigan youths are flocking to Odinism, many groups have Nazi ties which is worrying.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
Well as much as I detest the idea of religion being taught in schools it sure makes me chuckle that when teaching our kids nonsense at least they are getting to see the bigger picture of how many flavors of invisible men that live in the sky there (allegedly) actually are.

Personally, I think kids should be well versed (can I use that expression?) in the various religions and school is the right place for it. Paganism is the old European religion and elements of it remain in many of our customs, they're just hidden in plain view, or camouflaged by Christianity. Knowledge acts to counter xenophobia, and fear of 'the other' is one of the most destructive forces in society.

Now pass me that mistletoe, will ya?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This should have happened long ago, perhaps now the kids will move away from a lot of hatred they pick up.

To the poster who said his Pagan friends hated Christians, all I can say is they still have a lot of learning to do, any hatred of Christianity is only aimed towards the persecution they have passed out against anything none Christian, and the punishments which followed (and I don't mean the burning at the stake nonsense)

Teaching Paganism will allow them to learn tolerance and love, instead of the WRONG

There are a lot more Pagans in Britain than you can imagine, its only the wannabe Pagans that use hatred against other Faiths.

You are however going to start seeing a lot more people trying to control aspects of Paganism, like a local supposed Druid who lived in the City, who went around for years claiming he was Arch Druid, got his own little grove up and running, then used it for his own purposes, even set up his wife so he could get a divorce and get one of his followers to become High Priestess.

When doubt was cast over his actions it was discovered his title was self initiated and he wasn't Arch anything, just a wannabe, he has now moved to Mold North Wales were he still has a small band of followers, who like to be told what to do and how to think, he does have people watching what he does, for the sake of truth.

It is about time that people were allowed to learn the truth of the oldest Faith the Planet has seen, without having to answer to anyone.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I completely agree - if we are going to have to foist nonsense onto our children, we should be equal and egalitarian in said foisting of nonsense.

Sorry Christians, no preferential treatment for you this time round.

The Revenant.
edit on 10-11-2010 by The Revenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedzedtopgrade

The irony being, I've yet to meet an open atheist that hates any invisible beings living in the sky or otherwise.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Re zedzedtopgrade

For a year or two, I have myself been an observing participant in such an Oden-group you mention. I guess the biggest in North Europe.

And I can promise you, that it was definitely not racist in any way; quite the opposite, as we had 'indigenous' guests from practically all the northern hemisphere.

Not being a religionist myself, I have nonetheless a great sympathy for most pagans, wiccans etc. as these people are sane enough not to want world monopoly.

(Not to confuse issues, and in spite of being a longtime ecological farmer, I'm excluding 'green' militants from my sympathy. Sorry, only partly relevant).

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
sounds good to me. all religions are based on pagan beliefs. why not enlighten kids?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Well in history, we learned all the history of world religions which started from the old religion, aka Paganism to the new religions, judaism and christianity, to understand the historical spiritual/and technological evolution of man, religion plays a big part.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Well in history, we learned all the history of world religions which started from the old religion, aka Paganism to the new religions, judaism and christianity, to understand the historical spiritual/and technological evolution of man, religion plays a big part.

Agreed, religion has most definitely played a huge part in history and i wouldn't argue the case for religion being taught in historical context. Perhaps there is a place for religion in social studies but I'm totally apposed to dogmas being taught to children as some sort of truth.
It is downright wicked to label children.
edit on 12-11-2010 by The Djin because: speeling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join