It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Key Chain and Wallet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Now that I have finished my BOB I'm looking more toward survival items I can carry round everyday.

In that spirit I have decided to put together a survival wallet and keychain kit, nothing too bulky so I can carry it around easily enough.

For the wallet I'm looking at maxpedition.

For the wallet survival items I'm thinking of stocking it with various tool cards that are out there
, like the tool logic gear.

For the key chain survival tools I have a few ideas but nothing solid yet.

Any thoughts or advice? Product suggestions?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
L.E.D mini flashlight
Can opener/bottle
Compass
Watch
Lighter
Knife

and sanity if you can squeeze it on there

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Socratic Method

Thanks for your post.

Sanity? I think my last bit of that commodity left me when I started coming here to ATS

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Obviously.........................

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Be carefull with your words chombatta, I do own a very big stick. Made from real wood fresh from the factory.

How do you like them apples?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by _Highlander_

In the reading glasses section of pharmacy in Wal-mart you will find a flat freznel magnifying lens for a couple of bucks. Rides in the wallet very well. P-38 can opener can go in there too. I carry mine in a plastic coin purse because of the sharp edge on mine. The Boy Scout Hot Sparky $2.50 is a small key chain sized ferocerium rod similar to the hunters match. I carry one all the time. Other wise when going camping use the $3 magnesium block from Harbour Freight. I also got a free led flashlight using the sunday coupon from Harbour Freight. Light weight, small and comes with the batteries. This goes under the wallet in the front pocket. Bandana goes in the back pocket, 55 gallon contractor trash bag goes in the other back pocket, some Wal-mart plastic sack along with that. Cigaret lighter and pocket knife in the front pockets. In the shirt pocket goes a fishing set made of a rectangular piece of card board with a notch cut out on both the longer sides so it resembles a capital I. Wind 30 feet of fishing line to this after first tying one end through a hole. A foot from the end place a packing peanut or foam ear plug. I poked a hole in the ear plug with a nail. It expands around the line and stays in place. 6 inches from the end crimp on a split shot weight. Tie on a very small hook to the end and push the barb into the edge of the cardboard so you don't get stuck with it. 12 inches of aluminum foil folded flat fit nicely was well. A bundle of Jute twine serves as tinder and cordage. This rides under the bandana.Watch on one arm. Compass on the other. Cell phone on the belt.

You now have 3 forms of fire, water purification, shelter, food, navigation and communication.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawklover

Awesome post, thanks for your info.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawklover

Whistle: Harbour Freight in their safety section sells a single tone aircraft aluminum whistle with a split ring attached for 99 cents. Remove the large split ring and and twist device that it comes with and just use the smaller split ring. This I have on the key ring. Nice loud tone.

Pocket Mirror: My insurance company gave out a free light weight pocket mirror in a plastic case. Very handy for signaling air craft, looking for ticks in the down unders, checking the eyes when dust blows in and checking your appearance if you have any hair left to comb. The longest rescue on record was 110 miles when the lost sole flashed a mirror on an commercial airliner. They radioed for a float plane to investigate he was rescued.

Now you have Signalling covered

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Have a look on here and around the survival sites out there for EDC's every day carry and survival EDC's.

Remember it's what works for you and not your friend what you should base your EDC around.

Mine is.

Key led torch
Bottle opener / small knife / cork screw tool
Keys.

Wallet with credit card multi tool.

mobile phone.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Thanks for the information everyone, it has helped and given me some new ideas.

So far my EDC's consist of :

On my keys so far ;

- Leatherman. (Small, excellent)
- Wind up LED light (very small, awesome little thing)
- Whistle.
- Keychain pepper spray.
- Keys.
- Firesteel with mag.
- Jet lighter
- Steel pill container (Water purifying tablets, strong pain killer)

It's not as bulky as it would appear, and considering I have seen some people extremley loaded with keys they never use and therefore with no functionality, I am happy with the weight for purpose ratio.

In my wallet so far ;

- Tool logic 12-1 card
- Pencil and paper
- 1 square of wetfire.
- Compass.

Thats it so far, I have more room in my wallet ( Fossil tr-fold) for more so any other suggestions of perhaps something I have missed would be excellent.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Highlander_
For the key chain survival tools I have a few ideas but nothing solid yet.

Any thoughts or advice? Product suggestions?

At all times I carry a flint and striker on my key chain, only because I can't keep a shelter on it.

1. Shelter
2. Fire
3. Water
4. Food

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Cabela's sells a small Leatheman type tool that I picked up in their store for $4.99. It contains pliers w/wirecutters, an LED flashlight, a knife blade, a small phillips screwdriver, regular screwdriver, bottle opener, small saw blade, and a carry case. When closed it is about 2 1/2" long, so it can easily be carried in a pocket or on a belt in its provide case. I just mention this because it is a handy little tool for about $5.00.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I carry my multitool, and leather belt, good boot laces, and the knowledge of medicinal and edible plants and bush craft which is in my head.

I have found that cheap multi tools break...do not go chinese on that item.
I don't mean to be condescending, but imagine your life depends on it
Garbage bags can be so valuable too, they are so versitile for their stored size and weight.

edit on 26-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It's good to see so many level headed replies here.

My EDC changes from time to time depending on where I am or where I'm going. Generally my Work bag which doubles as a GHB is with me and this covers most situations so far that I have faced.

I always carry on my person, small knife, led torch, bottle opener, credit card tool, mobile phone.
Then the other kit goes into the GHB.

top topics

join